Insight Disease

thumbnail
Marek Mark, modified 11 Years ago at 8/18/12 11:47 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/18/12 11:47 AM

Insight Disease

What does "insight disease" mean? I saw this phrase in some posts but it doesn't exist in the Wiki. What are symptoms of this disease?
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 11 Years ago at 8/18/12 2:58 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/18/12 2:58 PM

RE: Insight Disease

Simply put, you gain insight and reach the "dukkha nanas" (orthe ugly stages on the path). Then, the only way to get out of these stages is to gain more insight and progress to the next stage, "equanimity".

This is why Daniel says "the only way to cure insight disease is more insight.

It's not really a disease, and it's not really something you should worry about at all. It's just the natural progression, like going through puberty emoticon

-d
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 8/19/12 4:47 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/19/12 4:47 AM

It should be mentioned that there also have been moments when that term (and similar spinoff terms, such as "arahat disease") were used with a bit more bite to it and in a derogatory way to criticize something about someone, usually unrelated to anything except that the person using the term didn't like the person it was directed towards or something about them or their practice or theory, so if you come across this more pejorative usage, realize that it may mean something a bit more crass.

That said, I like the first usage better, and hopefully that is the one you have found.

Why the interest in the term?

Daniel
thumbnail
Marek Mark, modified 11 Years ago at 8/19/12 7:50 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/19/12 7:50 AM

I wondered whether "insight disease" is different thing from "dukha nanas" or not. I had been meditating for something like two years, in the past. I had no idea about insight maps. I made some progress but I'm not sure how big. There was a time when i thought i was enlightned but im pretty sure I didn't pass "stream entry". Since I stopped my practice, I've had a strong feeling that there isn't much sense in doing anything in this world except getting enlightened. Thus I am interested in this "insight disease" term.

Thanks for your responses
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 8/19/12 3:22 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/19/12 3:22 PM

Yeah, that has that ring to it.

Equating "insight disease" with "dark night" in that context makes perfect sense and is what it feels like.

What is your get enlightened plan?

Daniel
thumbnail
Marek Mark, modified 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 12:02 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/19/12 11:57 PM

Plan is simple - start regular practice. I've already started doing regular anapanasati. 3-4 hours a day. I've already started experience access concentration and some jhanic experiences. Some years ago I followed instructions from "Mindfulness In Plain English" (by Henepola Gunaratana) and it worked great for me. I was noticing many sensations of different kinds, recognizing them, but wasn't noting them "verbally" in my mind (or giving them names). However, I think, this time I will try noting too and see how it works.

edit:

Actually It wasn't exactly Mindfulness in Plain English because it was in Polish translation emoticon

Breadcrumb