Samatha with Vipassana

lee rogers, modified 11 Years ago at 10/7/12 5:46 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/6/12 11:35 PM

Samatha with Vipassana

I've been meditating regularly since April. I slip into samatha pretty readily now -- when I'm driving, reading, in conversation. Sometimes it's just by pure accident ... I'm in it & then I have to decide if it's opportune to stay that way.

[ed. A friend of mine (an experienced meditator) says this sounds to be samadhi. I make no claims this way or that, but as I read more it appears to be consistent with what's in the literature ... Marge says I'm soaking in it ....]

Anyway, I've noticed lately that increasingly I get what in signal processing might be called "artifacts" -- a characteristic delay in sensory experience, usually visual (driving), but I've noted sensory recognition impedance. I've been referring to this as attenuation -- attention that attenuates extrinsic sensuality.

It's tricky to catch just-seeing or just-hearing but I also felt a slight disidentification moment pass quickly this morn, first time fully sensed (visual) ... so it sounds about right.

But ... I haven't read up much on the exact details & I'm really reluctant to concerned I'll start intellectualizing about this process. It's happening & I don't wanna get hung up on it.

So ... is this what the hybrid method is? To me the two feel contiguous. The float-in-the-flesh-bag concentration experience seems to invite the attenuated-sensory insight.

I'm exploring what other ways to cue just-sensing experiences via samatha. I've also tried this w/ other intrinsic organic senses -- cravings, pangs. The entire field of sensual phenom. looks game to me.

Thanks,

Lee