Question about noting beginning/middle/end

thumbnail
Rick M, modified 11 Years ago at 1/30/13 11:03 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/30/13 11:03 AM

Question about noting beginning/middle/end

To some extent this is a subject that already has been discussed extensively on the boards here, but I wanted clarification on a point about noting.

I recall reading something in Mahasi that said that by the time the 3rd nana has been reached, the meditator will notice the beginning, middle, and end of the object, whereas in earlier stages the meditator will only notice, say, the beginning.

I can't find the exact quote, but Mahasi discusses something very similar to this in the Knowledge of Comprehension section of the Progress of Insight.

For example, from that section:

For instance, only when the rising movement of the abdomen has come to an end, does there arise the falling movement; only when that has ended, is there again a rising movement. So also in the case of walking: only when the lifting of the foot has come to an end, does there arise the carrying forward of the foot; only when that has been completed, does there follow the placing of the foot on the ground.

How does this pertain to noting when one's mind is wandering, as my newbie mind tends to do a great deal? Rather than sense the beginning, middle, and end of my in breath, say, I sense the beginning, middle, and, *wham*, I'm off to feeling my pulse, or hearing the heater turn on, or something else, and I'm sensing (and, hopefully, noting) the beginning of *that* sensation, rather than the ending of the in breath.

Does Mahasi mean that a really good meditator (as opposed to, say, me) is in tune enough that he/she senses the mind pulling off from the breath, then experiences the end of the in breath, and then experiences the beginning of whatever other sensation the mind is being draw to? Or does Mahasi mean that a good meditator's mind simply doesn't wander as much as mine does (which, admittedly, doesn't set the bar very high).

Thanks for any help people can give me with this. Really have enjoyed reading everyone's discussions on DhO.
Andre d, modified 11 Years ago at 1/30/13 2:28 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/30/13 2:28 PM

RE: Question about noting beginning/middle/end

Rick M:

Does Mahasi mean that a really good meditator (as opposed to, say, me) is in tune enough that he/she senses the mind pulling off from the breath, then experiences the end of the in breath, and then experiences the beginning of whatever other sensation the mind is being draw to? .

The answer is "yes"!

In my experience, this was a great insight into "how the mind works" and realizing that helped me reaching "banga-nana".

So, for your personal experience I would recommend that you stick to it and figure it out!

What is the mind actual doing at the end of the in-breath/out-breath ?

Or in general what does happen at the end/beginning of the in-breath/out-breath physically and mentally ?

Rick M:

I sense the beginning, middle, and, *wham*

So what does actually happen at the *wham* (physically and mentally) ?

I was at the some point and spent a lot of time with this fact!
It will also come across when your mind becomes more calm and the breathing slows down!

But you will see then!

So I hope I answered your question and gave you a bit motivation to keep going!

Andre
thumbnail
Rick M, modified 11 Years ago at 1/30/13 3:02 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/30/13 3:02 PM

RE: Question about noting beginning/middle/end

Andre d.:

The answer is "yes"!

In my experience, this was a great insight into "how the mind works" and realizing that helped me reaching "banga-nana".

So, for your personal experience I would recommend that you stick to it and figure it out!

What is the mind actual doing at the end of the in-breath/out-breath ?

Or in general what does happen at the end/beginning of the in-breath/out-breath physically and mentally ?

So what does actually happen at the *wham* (physically and mentally) ?

I was at the some point and spent a lot of time with this fact!

It will also come across when your mind becomes more calm and the breathing slows down!

But you will see then!

So I hope I answered your question and gave you a bit motivation to keep going!

Awesome answer! You're right, of course. This is my job. Thank you.

Breadcrumb