letters written between a meditation master and his student.

Natasha Smith, modified 10 Years ago at 7/24/13 8:45 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/24/13 8:45 PM

letters written between a meditation master and his student.

For those who may be interested, there is a website which has these letters written between the former Meethirigala head priest, Ven, Matara Sri Gnanarama thero and a pupil of his. These letters cover her experiences and the advise the Thero gives her to progress upto Anagami level.

You can access them in the blog. They appear in numerical order, and you have to click on the older posts to read them all.

http://comemeditate.webs.com/apps/blog/

with metta
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 12/8/13 9:25 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/8/13 9:25 AM

RE: letters written between a meditation master and his student.

If you enjoy that kind of read then you should try reading the book News from True Cultivators. It's the same idea; letters between two meditation students and their teacher. Only these two are making a pilgrimage to the city of Ten Thousand Buddhas in California and they must bow after every third step.

It's beautiful, and it has a lot of interesting and hair-raising situations.

Here is the link to the free e-book:
http://online.sfsu.edu/rone/Buddhism/BTTStexts/newsfromtruecultivators.pdf
thumbnail
Sweet Nothing, modified 10 Years ago at 12/9/13 8:24 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/9/13 8:24 AM

Both, the link shared by you and the book shared by Travis are encouraging, inspiring and motivating to read.
Thanks for sharing. The book is fascinating, I encourage all to check it out.
Be Free Now, modified 10 Years ago at 12/10/13 6:48 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/10/13 6:48 AM

Wow! I've just started reading "News From True Cultivators" Travis shared.

It's so inspirational. The reader can feel the transformation of the two bowing monks and of some of the people they encounter. What perseverance and patience and humility these two monks have.

Thanks for the link Travis. I had stumbled upon this story once before but never looked more into until now.
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 12/10/13 8:52 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/10/13 8:52 AM

You're welcome emoticon

I hope you keep reading it, the best is yet to come. These two experience a lot while on this path.

For me, it put into perspective what unconditional compassion means. As well as the perspectives one can have with karma to motivate you to practice more.

Anyways, enjoy!
thumbnail
No-Second-Arrow Z, modified 10 Years ago at 12/29/13 5:30 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/29/13 5:30 AM

Travis Gene McKinstry:
If you enjoy that kind of read then you should try reading the book News from True Cultivators.

Thanks for posting this, Travis! I downloaded it and it is such a great story! Haven't finished it yet, but that won't take to longemoticon
I do seem to remember that some other monks did the same, maybe fifteen years ago?
And a woman who did a peace walk recently, don't know if these stories are in bookform.
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 12/29/13 11:37 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/29/13 11:37 AM

No-Second-Arrow Z:
Travis Gene McKinstry:
If you enjoy that kind of read then you should try reading the book News from True Cultivators.

Thanks for posting this, Travis! I downloaded it and it is such a great story! Haven't finished it yet, but that won't take to longemoticon
I do seem to remember that some other monks did the same, maybe fifteen years ago?
And a woman who did a peace walk recently, don't know if these stories are in bookform.

You are very welcome emoticon

I'd be interested in reading about these other people you mention, if, like you mentioned, it's in book form.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 10 Years ago at 1/1/14 1:28 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/1/14 1:22 AM

Natasha, thank you for posting this link. This is one of the most intimate and inspirational accounts of awakening I’ve read to date. The fact that she’s 70, makes it all the more inspiring – it’s never too late. Interesting too, no description of “dark night” issues arising at all. I wonder if this is due to a solid cultivation of Anapanasati before a focus on insight?

It’s a fairly long read (spans a 7-8 year timeframe), but well worth the effort. The descriptions of her meditative experiences and progress are really well elucidated and Ven. Matara Sri Gnanarama’s instructions are obviously founded on a deep wealth of experience and knowledge.

Metta,
Chris
Natasha Smith, modified 10 Years ago at 1/5/14 12:14 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/5/14 12:14 AM

Hi Chris,

Good question. I myself wondered about it. I have a friend who has followed Ajahn Brahm's method and he said he didn't experience the dukka nana as deeply as we do.

On the other hand, all her experiences are not included in the letters, as when she used to visit the monastery, she would describe her experiences to the Maha Thero and he would give her instructions verbally

with metta

Natasha.

Breadcrumb