Head Vibrations

thumbnail
Jake, modified 10 Years ago at 11/12/13 5:24 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/12/13 5:24 PM

Head Vibrations

It's been a while since I posted here but something has drawn me back and pushed me to post again. I have reason to believe I am in the dark night stage, but I do not let myself get mentally stuck on it. I keep meditating but still have a lot of work to do in terms of the quality and skill of my sits.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is because it feels like my reality is vibrating. It is not subtle, but it is definitely noticeable, especially in the classroom when I look at this particular carpet. I cant focus on the carpet and it seems like it is moving and vibrating. Also, my professor wore a striped shirt and the stripes were tripping me out. Its like they were waving together, again subtlety, but I could still easily pick up on it.

My question for the board is this: what am I experiencing? I believe it has something to do with the state of consciousness I currently live in (not sure how else to describe it).
thumbnail
Jake, modified 10 Years ago at 11/13/13 6:31 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/13/13 6:29 AM

RE: Head Vibrations

Hahaha. Your response gives me the impression that I am either insane or crazy...!

I do not drink coffee emoticon

ALSO

I think the title may be misleading. When I say head vibrations, I more so mean eye vibrations I suppose. Its not like my head is just shaking uncontrollably, its like my vision (the things I look at) seem alive. Almost as if there was a 10% grainy photoshop filter over everything in my field of vision. It is not noticeable when I am engrossed in activity, but when I am still and sitting it is easily noticeable. Hopefully that clarifies this hehe.
Christian Calamus, modified 10 Years ago at 11/13/13 1:58 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/13/13 1:58 PM

Jake B:
... its like my vision (the things I look at) seem alive. Almost as if there was a 10% grainy photoshop filter over everything in my field of vision. It is not noticeable when I am engrossed in activity, but when I am still and sitting it is easily noticeable.

I think it's a relatively normal phenomenon that comes up when you pay attention to your experience in a certain way. At least if it's relatively mild, as it seems in your case. I can tune into visual vibrations whenever I want to and I noticed this a few months after starting insight meditation.

Maybe if you describe your practice in more detail somebody can say something more specific. Here are some questions:
What does your practice look like? How often do you practice? How long? How does a session of formal practice usually play out? Did you do any visual concentration practices (like kasina or candle flame)? Do you sit with eyes open or closed? Do these vibrations bother you? Any further unusual / unpleasant phenomena?

You might also find something helpful in previous threads. There are some about similar visual phenomena, you just need to dig them up.

Best wishes
Christian
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 10 Years ago at 11/13/13 5:14 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/13/13 5:14 PM

especially in the classroom when I look at this particular carpet. I cant focus on the carpet and it seems like it is moving and vibrating

It's an optical illusion. I remember seeing the exact same thing, and yes it works particularly well with carpets. It is an artifact of the eyes and not one of anicca.
thumbnail
Pål S, modified 10 Years ago at 11/14/13 4:51 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/14/13 4:51 AM

Jake B:
Also, my professor wore a striped shirt and the stripes were tripping me out. Its like they were waving together, again subtlety, but I could still easily pick up on it.

Think I have the same thing. Try to focus on this shirt, pretty weird?
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 11/14/13 3:26 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/14/13 3:26 PM

Pål S.:
Jake B:
Also, my professor wore a striped shirt and the stripes were tripping me out. Its like they were waving together, again subtlety, but I could still easily pick up on it.

Think I have the same thing. Try to focus on , pretty weird?
Not bad young padawan...try this shirt on for size...emoticon

thumbnail
sawfoot _, modified 10 Years ago at 11/14/13 4:09 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/14/13 4:09 PM

J .:
especially in the classroom when I look at this particular carpet. I cant focus on the carpet and it seems like it is moving and vibrating

It's an optical illusion. I remember seeing the exact same thing, and yes it works particularly well with carpets. It is an artifact of the eyes and not one of anicca.

Curious - if this isn't anicca - then why isn't it and what is? So it isn't an artefact of the eyes per se, but an artefact of how our brains do vision. Would you count anicca as just aspects of the perception of phenomena arising and passing away? But then to what extent are these experiences just artefacts of the brain also ? Artefacts of just "paying attention to your experience in a certain way" (quoted from Christian above)?
thumbnail
Jake, modified 10 Years ago at 11/17/13 12:45 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/17/13 12:45 PM

Dream Walker:
Pål S.:
Jake B:

Think I have the same thing. Try to focus on http://images6.jeansonline.com/a-fish-named-fred-shirt-33026-navy-stripe_f.jpg, pretty weird?

Not bad young padawan...try this shirt on for size...emoticon

Hahaha those last two shirts are nuts. I think anyone would be tripped out by those, but the one Pal S posted induces the weird sensation I am talking about.

When I focus on one spot on the shirt it appears fine, but for some reason it is difficult to maintain focus on that one area. When I move my eyes around the shirt to different spots, there is a strange motion effect kind of thing, kind of like a mild motion blur. Its difficult to describe but as long as this isn't caused by a brain tumor or something fatal then I guess its nothing to worry about, just a minor nuisance emoticon