RE: Tips on cultivating a PCE - a compilation

John White, modified 13 Years ago at 8/30/10 12:23 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/27/10 9:47 AM

Tips on cultivating a PCE - a compilation

For those interested, here is a compilation of tips for cultivating a pure consciousness experience (PCE) found in the Actual Freedom (AF) related posts here at DhO, and on the AF sites. This is a work in progress. Currently I am reading through all the AF threads, so if I find more tips I will add them.

I had mentioned compiling information related to the various actualism methods discussed (HAIETMOBA, felicitous feelings, pure intent, etc.). I decided against this as for one, I'm not nearly familiar enough with these methods, and two, it’s my opinion that all this precious information is already compiled in the AF threads, intricately woven into many of the questions and responses.

One page from the AF site that many here have recommended is ‘Attentiveness and Sensuousness and Apperceptiveness’ -
http://actualfreedom.com.au/richard/articles/attentivenesssensuousnessapperceptiveness.htm

Myself and others have found the podcasts (Tarin and Daniel on AF at Hurricane Ranch) to be excellent: http://www.interactivebuddha.com/podcasts.shtml

For those seeking more insight into the 'i am my feelings, my feelings are me' aspect of actual freedom, this thread is excellent: http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/100359

For those not familiar with Actual Freedom and wish to learn about it, this is a good place to start: http://actualfreedom.com.au/introduction/index.htm

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Tips on cultivating a pure consciousness experience (PCE):

From Richard:

You need to have a keen sense of humour. This business of becoming free is not – contrary to popular opinion – a serious business at all. Be totally sincere ... most definitely utterly sincere, as genuineness is essential. But serious ... no way. An actual freedom is all about having fun; about enjoying being here; about delighting in being alive. All that ‘being serious’ stuff actively works against peace-on-earth. One has to want to be here on this planet ... most people resent being here and wish to escape. This method will bring one into being more fully here than anyone has ever been before. If you do not want to be here, then forget it.

The more one enjoys and appreciates being just here right now – to the point of excellence being the norm – the greater the likelihood of a PCE happening ... a grim and/or glum person has no chance whatsoever of allowing the magical event

The felicitous/ innocuous feelings are in no way docile, lack-lustre affections ... in conjunction with sensuosity they make for an extremely forceful/ potent combination as, with all of the affective energy channelled into being as happy and harmless as is humanly possible (and no longer being frittered away on love and compassion/ malice and sorrow), the full effect of ‘me’ at the core of ‘my’ being – which is ‘being’ itself – is dynamically enabled for one purpose and one purpose alone.

Frequently asked questions: how do I induce a PCE? (from AF website)
http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/sundry/frequentquestions/FAQ64.htm

________________________________________________________________________________

From Daniel Ingram:

“At this point, I think of this mostly as an eyes-open, daily life sort of practice, though some situations make it easier, such as less content-heavy activities, though those can also be included, and I am sometimes surprised when I slip into something PCE-esque during work.

Driving, bathing, sitting watching nature, walking at a slightly slowed or normal pace, easy conversation, laying on the couch eyes open, or even typing now can all be good times to practice.

I still find eyes-closed times more difficult, but connecting with the breath as it goes down the base of the skull and into the throat is good.

I haven't tried this sitting at all. Perhaps I should do the experiment just to see how it goes.

Ways to get into a PCE:

a) Simply incline the mind that way by memory or desire, forget about it, and see what happens. Sometimes this is enough.

b) Ground awareness in the physical realm solidly, openly, clearly to the exclusion of anything else as object. This also sometimes works. The phrase "flesh and blood body" so often used in AF dogma is exactly what I mean.

c) Tune into the sense of tingling up the base of the neck and into the skull in a way that is yet wide open, similar to Equanimity in focus but more directly physical, even if the tingling is not there. I used to get this feeling just briefly after completing a new path cycle sometimes, but now can feel it for hours during a PCE or something like one.

d) Should any hint of any emotive feeling at all arise, use vipassana-like technique with a wide-open physical-sphere-oriented awareness to track down the offending trigger ruthlessly in this physical sense sphere to its end again and again. I have found this more reliable for figuring out how to avoid the PCE ending than for getting into one, sort of like work done for future reference of what not to do, but it is good work to do at times, I think.

Figuring out what is the PCE mode and how to get into it…my best advice at this point:

1) Fake it until you make it. This is actually really important. Take your best guess about times that things were great, really clear, just fine, and you really appreciated something. Kenneth and I used to call this "grooving" back in the day. Maybe it was a Mind and Body thing, maybe it was the afterglow of the A&P, maybe it was Equanimity, maybe it was the feeling just after a Path, maybe it was looking at a great sunset or just noticing the fantastic color of a blue LED or whatever nice moment of clarity and remember it and try to do that now with anything, a fridge magnet, the play of light through a glass of water, the dots of newsprint on a magazine, where you just groove on the fact of the presentation of things until you start to re-create that feeling of really being here and enjoying it just as it is.

2) Ignore frustration with this pursuit and get back to enjoying now in a precise, clear, sensate way. Open the ears to hear what is around you, avoid rushing anywhere unless you stay in your body when you do it and enjoy the feeling of driving or running or rushing, and the like. When emotions arise, simply stay open and try to ignore them except to maybe give them just the investigative attention needed to see the physical and imagined triggers in a way that allows them to simply fade and be seen as just parts of this fantastic world.

3) Once you have practiced this a while with diligence, you may begin to have PCE's. They may be really short lived and you may wonder if they were some vipassana attainment: ignore those thoughts and vipassana attainments in general, particularly the cycles. If they arise, which they will in anyone who has some solid footing in the vipassana world, realize that they are going to fade with further practice at some point but may get stronger initially as you apply the level of every-moment awake mindfulness that really makes all this possible on either front.

4) Pay attention to how they fade and how to just gently incline back to PCE mode without falling into the trap of re-invigorating the attention wave. This is difficult, or at least I have found it to be so, but after some months I can say I am generally better at than I was before. All this stuff takes practice, so don't get discouraged.

5) Detail reality. This is something I learned along the way for getting into Lucid Dreams and for preparing for Traveling out of body, but it also works really well for AF practice, paradoxically. Really be here at all times, tuning into the spacial aspects, textural aspects, lighting aspects, sonic aspects, and contact with your skin and the world. However, ignore internal reality except as needed, as there is already plenty of that, and this serves to level the playing field, so to speak. Notice the subtle touch of air on your skin, the delight in the richness of colors and shapes, and just give into that. This is so refreshing done well that this sort of thing really helps reinforce the practice as being something nice to incline to, and when it results in PCEs, so much stronger is the pull.

Cultivating a PCE

5) I have identified a few ways at this point that seem to cause the chance of getting in PCE mode to go up, described here in a mix of AF and vipassana-esque terms. None are guarantees at this point.

a) Notice the attention wave itself and how looking at anything distorts the thing itself. Notice how attention itself filters out substantial portions of the field of what manifests. Doing this long and well enough at a high level taking it to the level of seeming like a spacial distortion eventually can cause PCE mode to arise. This is the least pleasant but the most revealing and has resulted in the longest duration of PCE-like mode when I can pull it off.

b) Go through the cycles of insight at the level of an arahat and after a Fruition reflect on a memory of previous PCE modes, which will sometimes cause PCE mode to arise shortly thereafter in a sudden flash that tends to fade as the attention wave sets in again.

c) Turn into the sensuous nature of this moment, "tripping" on the textures and qualities of the visual field, the auditory field, the contact of anything with the skin, in an open, really engaged way that attempts to lose one's self in the beauty and perfection and satisfying simplicity of just this in the most profound and yet direct way. This really is the advice to stop and smell the roses taken to the highest degree one is capable of. This is the most pleasant of the ways in. It is much easier with the eyes open than eyes closed, so far, though this is getting easier eyes closed.

From Craig N:

Try this:
1. Foster the feeling of enjoyment of this very moment of being alive. Concentrate on the senses, paying them exclusive attention. The feeling of enjoyment is a diffuse warmth which spreads throughout your body.

2. Foster fascination. What a miracle it is to be alive as a self-reflective human being. What a curiosity, to gaze out these eyes, to think and reflect. Being here right now is truly fascinating.

3. Now pay attention to your minds awareness of itself. This is a reflexive action of mind, awareness watching awareness.

Strong feelings (any issues whatsoever) will interfere your ability to trigger a PCE. So deal with those first until you feel fine.

It may take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour of wanting a PCE for it to occur. If feelings are getting in the way it will not happen. If you're already in a good place, a few minutes of careful attention to these qualities is all it takes. You can't force it. It requires a relaxed concentration. Just now it took me perhaps 3 minutes. I was about to give up, thinking I was too tired. Then snap. The way I look upon the world seems to change focus. It becomes more 3d. More clear. Now this truly is fascinating and enjoyable, peaceful, pristine and perfect.

Buddhism describes the three characteristics of existence. Noticing these characteristics in every sensation leads to the progress of insight, eventually leading to enlightenment.

It occurred to me this morning there are a number of characteristics of actually being here now, which must be noticed to attain to the PCE of actualism.

I don't have a definitive list, but from my personal practice these are the characteristics:

Enjoyable - it is enjoyable to be here now, paying exclusive attention to the senses and to thought in the present moment rather than in mind-fabrications
Fascinating - it is fascinating to be here now, as a flesh and blood human being, experiencing this moment of being alive
Pure - this moment in time, this place in space is purity itself. There is nothing impure with things just the way they are.
Perfect - everything is perfect just the way it is. (possibly related to purity but subtlely different)

It seems to me, based on my practice this morning, that there may be a progress of actualist insight.

Noticing those characteristics, and then paying attention to minds awareness of itself, aka apperception, which can also be achieved through the instruction of "awareness watching awareness", leads one directly to the PCE. This seems, to me, to be the equivalent of an arising and passing away.
think the discovery of the pure consciousness experience is a progress stage which is followed by a new type of dark night.

I noticed that the PCE dropped back down into pre-PCE when I stopped noticing those characteristics, although my mind was still aware of itself. Paying attention to the (n) characteristics brought back the PCE.

Further, as I stay in the PCE paying attention to these characteristics, a pressure at the third eye region is felt, and a vague nausea at my gut has begun, which faded while I was writing the last piece of this post, but has returned again now.

This is very familiar territory in mapping terms, now that I have accomplished a large number of insight cycles to fruition.

Hi Adam

I understand why you see similarities between enlightenment and actual freedom. When you get to the level of practice where you can readily access that-which-is, I have found it extremely subtle and difficult to see the difference between what's on offer with actual freedom vs that-which-is. Both speak of this moment in time/the now, this place in space/just this. Both involve dissolving beliefs and the social identity, and the PCE even sounds a lot like non-dual awareness - because it is a form of non-dual awareness.

Having spent the past few months struggling with it, the points of differentiation I have found in my practice which can be investigated in a very practical way are:

1. what AF describes as the instinctual passions (fear/aggression/nurture/desire) constitute the felt sense of being which seems to originate in the heart region, and those heart region sensations are nowhere to be found in a PCE.

2. in a PCE the world is experienced sensately in a non-dual way, and there are no problems and there is no suffering to be found.

3. the instinctual passions and heat region sensations are found in the experience of that-which-is.

4. in the experience of that-which-is, while there is a feeling that everything is ok just the way it is, so there are no problems, there is still suffering that awareness rises above and takes itself as a refuge - which is a form of dissociation.

5. having seen the dissociation first hand (likely after having been shocked by the prospect that one so aware could be dissociating and not knowing it), if you tackle the issues dissociated from head-on*, then by paying exclusive attention to the senses and delighting in the experience, a PCE can result.

* by seeing the facts rather than your beliefs about the situation, and/or consider whether you're being silly or sensible, you can get back to feeling good rather than suffering.

I have found the instructions on the page below extremely useful in helping me bring on PCEs at will. Btw, in case it is not clear, when experiencing apperception one is in a PCE. They're basically two terms for the same thing.

I recommend printing the following page out and studying it until you have a really strong experiential handle on everything covered. Just today I was re-reading it yet again, finding new gems, and thinking it should be re-entitled "The Actualist Manifesto" because it's so succinct and powerful. The information on that page is very practice-oriented, which I think you will like.

http://actualfreedom.com.au/richard/articles/attentivenesssensuousnessapperceptiveness.htm

To help break the grip of the habit of affective / emotive experience that causes us continually slip back into what you term 'cycle mode', I recommend a couple of things that have made a big difference for my practice. Previously I was spending 99% of my day in cycle mode / everyday experience, and 1% of my day if I was lucky in brief moments of clarity that all too quickly slipped away. Just recently this has dramatically reversed as a result of these changes.

1. Read all the guidance on the following page about Is it Silly or Sensible? The opportunity is to replace the habitual use of emotive Right / Wrong, Fair / Unfair by using Silly / Sensible as your axis for appraisal. We have to consciously choose apperception over affectation, and reinforce it enough to become a new habit. It's appraising everything that comes up in our life through an affective system of judgement that causes emotions to spin up and linger on after the event.

That page also talks about being friends with yourself which is great advice, as being tough on oneself is a very common trigger to feel bad. I've taken that on board now and have found it made a big difference to prolonging excellence and apperception.

http://actualfreedom.com.au/richard/audiotapeddialogues/sillyorsensible.htm

2. Develop "Pure Intent". Set the standard for your moment to moment experience of life to at least good and if possible perfection (i.e. the PCE). Commit to root out every last obstacle standing in the way of achieving Actual Freedom and enjoying perfection each moment again. Be tough with yourself about whether you're experiencing excellence or a full PCE - if it's not perfect, it's not good enough. It can be very easy to get to feeling good or excellent and stop there. That derailed my progress for quite a while.

A final note, I'm still trying to get it done, so while I hope this may be useful, I recommend the advice of the actually free over mine any day - I've been wrong too many times before!

Craig

From Peter:

The way to begin is simply to make becoming actually happy and harmless the primary aim in one’s life.

It is the acknowledging of aggression in oneself that is the key to wanting to change irrevocably. If one only wants happiness for oneself then that is insufficient motive or intent to get stuck into the business of irrevocably changing oneself. It needs an altruistic motive rather than the mere self-gratification of being happy and that motive is to be actually peaceful – to do no harm to one’s fellow human beings, as in not instinctually feeling aggression towards others, not instinctually feeling sorrow for others, not being blindly driven to nurture others and not being blindly driven to desire power over others.

From Tarin:

a pce is a temporary experience of clarity, equanimity and perfection, during which time there is no possibility whatsoever of grief, ill-will, fear, worry, stress, or distress (as in a pce, the precursor of those things is in abeyance - temporarily dismantled). if what you experienced was a pce, then that's great, because given enough commitment, sensitivity, and sensibility, you'll be able to find your back again and again, and as far as i can tell, there is no better way to live life than like this (save for living like this full time, which is humanly possible - i can personally attest to it, having done this myself).

or you could ride the rapture happy bliss, into further and further refinement, and then eventually just turn it sensous, and get so into the fascinating aspects of your experience until everything becomes fascinating in that crystal clear sharp luminous way, and then it becomes obvious that what is, is, and then you're not chasing any other moment cos you're totally locked into this one now (filter gone forever). that works too.

...whether previously enlightened or not, what everyone i know who has done this has had in common was the pure intent (to arrive to such a state). this - pure intent - is clearly the most determining factor.

http://i43.tinypic.com/34owzld.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/6fpmoo.jpg

what i drew up that first flowchart to present is a means by which one can make a particular mode of experience (which i have therein dubbed 'perfection') permanent. however, if one's present mode of experience is not perfect as such (in other terms, is not immediately a pce), then the step i advise in the chart is for one to find the nearest approximation to perfection that one can, here and now (either by recognising its qualitative similarity to a remembered pce or by tuning in to the qualities present which are clearly and indubitably ideal)... done properly, this will, over time, lead to more clarity about how to evince a pce directly. however, if one is unable to tune in to such an approximation of perfection (which would be likely due to one being uncertain about how this is done), then what i recommend is to, in no uncertain terms, enjoy this moment of being alive (which is markedly different from, and superior to, merely 'deciding to be fine' with it). such enjoyment will, over time, occasionally reveal the traits of perfection, similar to how if one gazes at a pond, one will occasionally see sparkles of light reflecting off of fish which have come to the surface at the right spots. someone who catches enough of these sparkles will get an idea of what i mean by the traits of perfection soon or later (and will be having a great time meanwhile).. and someone with a zest for enjoying themselves (who has an enthusiasm for gusto) will catch enough of these sparkles sooner rather than later. (there, could i really drop any more hints than i just have?)

and yet, i understand that enjoying oneself can be unexpectedly (and possibly even frustratingly at first) difficult at times, both from my own past experience as well as some feedback i've received to that first chart, and so i drew up the second one to address this. in the second chart, the entire point is for one to enjoy this experience of being alive here and now; if there is any inability to simply enjoy being here, or diminishment in such enjoyment, the step i suggest one take is to find out why one isn't having a good time. as soon as the reason has been discovered, i propose asking oneself if whatever that reason is (dubbed, in the chart, 'xyz') is worth missing out on enjoying this moment of being alive; the answer is obviously no[1], and one is back having a good time.

on the other hand, if there can be no reason found for why one is not having a good time (and remember that it here does not pay to be anything less than fully sincere with oneself), then the step i recommend is to realise that being alive is important (as one has a vested interest in it, it is personally important) and so to get back to feeling good as quickly as possible... i advise one to do this by whatever means one finds necessary in order to effect enjoyment. over time (and a bit of time may be required), one will be back to enjoying being here.

after this explication, do you still think this process resembles the practices of global relationship centers which are focused on dealing with sila-type issues, or that it is anything like kenneth's practices aimed at manifesting the witness and nondual awareness?

1] the reason there is no 'yes' arrow leading off from that box is because of an implicit assumption i had when i made the chart, namely that if one is attempting to follow it, then one has already consciously decided (that is, has arrived intellectually at the decision) that there isn't anything worth missing out on enjoying this moment of being alive for. however, if one, in a lapse of judgement, finds oneself at some point deciding otherwise, then the dissonance caused by looking for the 'yes' arrow (as in, 'yes xyz is worth missing out on enjoying this moment of being alive for') and finding that there is no such option may evoke humour and bring one back to one's senses.. at which point one is free to resume having fun.

thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 13 Years ago at 8/27/10 2:48 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/27/10 2:48 PM

This is very cool. I think there is a need for some clear organization of all this material into a useful format. Thanks for contributing to that.
thumbnail
Tom Smith, modified 13 Years ago at 8/27/10 4:49 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/27/10 4:49 PM

What does PCE stand for? And more importantly, is there somewhere on the site where the meanings of all the abbreviations such as this are listed? I looked in the wiki and can't find it. If it doesn't exist I will volunteer to create it.
D C, modified 13 Years ago at 9/1/10 9:16 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 8/27/10 6:02 PM

Thanks John. Excellent work! Here's some more.

From Trent:

Try this:
1. Foster the feeling of enjoyment of this very moment of being alive. Concentrate on the senses, paying them exclusive attention. The feeling of enjoyment is a diffuse warmth which spreads throughout your body.
2. Foster fascination. What a miracle it is to be alive as a self-reflective human being. What a curiosity, to gaze out these eyes, to think and reflect. Being here right now is truly fascinating.
3. Now pay attention to your minds awareness of itself. This is a reflexive action of mind, awareness watching awareness.

It may take a few minutes of careful attention to these qualities. You can't force it. It requires a relaxed concentration. Just now it took me perhaps 3 minutes. I was about to give up, thinking I was too tired. Then snap. The way I look upon the world seems to change focus. It becomes more 3d. More clear. Now this truly is fascinating and enjoyable, peaceful, pristine and perfect.

Damon

Edit: I see this set of instructions is already listed above under Craig. I had them copied to my hard drive as Trent. Sorry about that John. In any case they're good instructions that bear repeating.. emoticon
Ram Ravan, modified 13 Years ago at 9/1/10 9:55 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/1/10 9:55 PM

From Tarin Greco

+++

by feeling well enough to be really still, listening to the stillness, and getting used to going about one's day that way. the details fill in themselves. 'be really still' means just hang out, alert and undisturbed, and listen to what's going on around you. pay attention to (the sense of) hearing itself. the me-sense asserts itself, but at some point, when the stillness is deep enough, you just forget the me-sense altogether... it's not relevant to simply hearing sound. don't forget to have fun, enjoy yourself. the stillness is refreshing.

Question:> Can you expand more about the stillness of the experience of this moment ?

Tarin Greco: sure. probably the most important thing i can point out is that it is palpable in sensate experience. think of it as being like the atmospheric background of sounds that doesn't exist as distinct from those sounds themselves (it is not merely the sense of silence) ... or think of it as what that atmospheric background comes out of (sounds seem to emerge from the stillness). don't concern yourself with the issue of being or not- being and just listen intently

... the stillness i was referring to is not the silence between sounds but a continuity of listening which spans the occurrence of both sound and of the sense of silence. there is actually no silence between sounds (a silence which exists when sounds do not); the relationship between sounds and silence is much more complex than that. spiritualists make a big deal about a transcendent silence, but a sincere and protracted investigation into the relationship between sound and the sense of its absence reveals something even more - for lack of better word, wondrous - than merely transcendence. the stillness is living, breathing, sensate; repeated experience of it engenders naivete... a mode of experience which is, by default, inclined to that which is actual and sensate.
Ram Ravan, modified 13 Years ago at 9/4/10 2:12 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/4/10 2:12 PM

From Peter

It’s like what I have heard Richard describe as if ‘bringing yourself to the very outer layer of your eyeballs’ and I liked the description so much I have also used it myself. I can also remember describing this shift of focus or of attentiveness as ‘like stopping hiding behind the curtains and bringing yourself to the very front of the stage’. And no doubt other people will have other ways of describing this process of becoming less ‘self’-obsessed and more interested in, and aware of, what is happening ‘outside’, as you describe it.

I have just found this piece from my journal that is relevant –

‘I used a technique that Richard suggested which was invaluable, and that was to pretend or try to mimic the peak experience of being in the actual world when back in ‘everyday’ moments. I described it at the time as pushing myself as far as possible to the surface of the eyes – to be purely my senses. This means definitely not creating a watcher or Self’ with a different set of morals and beliefs – usually vastly superior to that which is being watched – but simply practising to establish a direct connection between the senses and the actual world. It is 180 degrees the opposite of the spiritual ‘awareness’, which is to focus on some blissful, still or peaceful space inside. The aim was to bring myself out of my inner world of the psyche into the actual world of my senses – to become fully engaged in the actual world. It takes constant effort and vigilance at the start not to be sucked back into misery and sorrow, not to resort to malice.

... I started to enjoy being here doing this business of being alive more and more then I was able – only whenever I was feeling particularly excellent – to bring my attention to sensate experiencing more and more. By bringing one’s seeing to the very surface of the eyeballs, bringing one’s touch to the fingers or the hairs on the skin, experiencing one’s taste as the activation of the taste buds on the tongue and the inside of the mouth, experiencing one’s hearing as it happens in the eardrums and experiencing one’s sense of smell as it activates the receptors in the nose what one is doing is mimicking the sensate-only experiencing that happens temporarily in a PCE or as a permanent experience in a PCE.

The reason I make this point is that if someone focuses on this latter aspect of coming to one’s senses and ignores the first and foremost aspect of the actualism method – removing the obstacles to being as happy and as harmless as is humanly possible in this moment – then they are ignoring the crux of what actualism is all about and may well be doing nothing other than treading the well-worn traditional path of denial and dissociation.
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 13 Years ago at 9/10/10 3:23 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/10/10 3:23 PM

I was surprised that no one mentioned the most obvious place to look for tips on inducing a PCE... the section in the actual freedom website FAQ titled:
"How do I induce a PCE?"
http://actualfreedom.com.au/sundry/frequentquestions/FAQ64.htm

Also, there is a ton of information on the PCE page in the "library" of the actual freedom site:
http://actualfreedom.com.au/library/topics/pce.htm

That should be enough to read to keep one going for a long long time.

This is my favorite simplified and concise version:

I have two choices right now: being happy and harmless or being dull and degenerate ... which way do I sensibly choose to spend this never-to-be-repeated precious moment of living so that I can honestly call myself a mature adult?
- Richard

Breadcrumb