Practicing Vipassana and Zen. Confusion with saving all sentient being

thumbnail
Dark Night Yogi, modified 14 Years ago at 8/5/09 6:34 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 8/5/09 6:34 PM

Practicing Vipassana and Zen. Confusion with saving all sentient being

Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

I attend a lay zendo,

we recite the great aspirations.
I told the teacher It made me confused to say it I told her, "I dont know if i want cessation or to vow to be reborn".
she adviced to be aware of saying it, not the meaning, and other things... that theres nothing i should do or shouldnt do.

So I guess 'resolve' is something done by Vipassana and Theravada, so the aspiration can spark confusion to one who practices both.

Has anyone been in the same situation?
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 8/6/09 6:27 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 8/6/09 6:27 PM

RE: Practicing Vipassana and Zen. Confusion with saving all sentient being

Author: garyrh

It seems that in the reciting the great aspirations you wish the words to convey an exact sentiment that you have judged at that moment otherwise there can be no resolve. Hence the confusion. Can you see how the process of wanting cessation or wanting to be reborn is taking place? Most likely both outcomes are coming from a very good place, recite from this place. Although you have not given much context, there appears to be wisdom in the advice given. There is nothing to be gained in creating dualities over meaning, or creating a problem from good intentions, just be aware of the process and have your being come from this place.

Breadcrumb