Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments

Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 9/11/09 11:57 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments Hokai Sobol 6/27/09 8:56 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 6/27/09 9:07 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments Jackson Wilshire 6/27/09 9:40 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments Chris Marti 6/27/09 5:17 PM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 6/27/09 7:22 PM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments Tina Hamilton 6/28/09 12:41 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments Hokai Sobol 6/28/09 2:07 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 6/28/09 3:20 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments Dan Bartlett 6/28/09 3:58 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments nic s 6/28/09 4:12 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments Chris Marti 6/28/09 4:26 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 6/28/09 5:40 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments Becky ZZ 6/28/09 5:45 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments Chris Marti 6/28/09 5:56 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 6/28/09 6:49 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments tarin greco 6/28/09 8:48 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 6/28/09 9:05 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 6/28/09 9:06 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 6/28/09 9:07 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 6/28/09 9:14 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments tarin greco 6/28/09 9:46 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 6/28/09 8:32 PM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 6/28/09 8:32 PM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments tarin greco 6/28/09 8:45 PM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments Wet Paint 8/20/09 6:14 AM
RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments triple think 8/20/09 9:18 PM
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 9/11/09 11:57 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/27/09 7:20 AM

Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments

Working with Sensory Ongoing, Passion & Dispassion, Bondage & Liberation

Liberation is found in the opposite direction from disassociation but it's also in the opposite direction from association which might seem paradoxical to some. Liberation is simply acknowledgement, somewhere in between the two, in the middle. In sensing with full acceptance of the 'ongoing process' coupled with full release of both 'the media and the message', what arises doesn't meet with either resistance or adhesion in it's passage through the mind and body. As the liberated sensory flow does not persist in mind and body it passes almost as immediately as it arises. It's in this sense that it is the opposite of the re-arising that occurs with conditions such as the self-denial spin in disassociative trauma or the self-deception spin in associative conceit.

When the mind blocks experience from taking place consciously, that sensory input system goes into a kind of echoing storage loop or a kind of a data buffer, the unprocessed datum re-arising on occasion until one 'faces that input' or otherwise 'processes it'. I've observed this in my own body and mind and in others many times in innumerable forms. When one refuses to accept the sensations that arise or when one won't let go of fabricating identifications of the I/Me/Mine-making variety, these unprocessed signals re-arise again and again until they are adequately acknowledged and then dropped for good. All experiential clinging, craving and averting creates this kind of dukkha of persistent clouding of the present tense data with the obscurations of recurring past sense input data on top of new incoming input data.

There can be and in many ways pretty much has to be selective disassociative activity taking place all over the place on a lot of levels (and there usually is some kind of a priority system for the overall sense input). When bonding due to trauma is found it can be re-trained into acceptance and in those moments input sensation becomes dynamically more open to directed attention.

One can associate with the input sensations, associating the narrative construct of the "I" ideations. One can disassociate with the input sensations, turning them off at the inputs. One can manipulate the input sensations by focusing attention on one aspect or another of that input. For instance all sensation is dukkha because it is so fleetingly impermanent that even the most blissful of it is dissolving before it can really be savored and enjoyed. At the same time all sensation is 'ongoing experience of being' which is inherently exciting and passionate and sweet. So one can focus on the pleasant or unpleasant aspects of the same sensation or part of a sensation and thereby manipulate experience itself. The entirely clear awareness doesn't play any games of manipulation and just takes in whatever sensation comes in, accepting it all and letting go of it all simultaneously.

Liberating action lets go of the agitation/anxiety of hanging on to or resisting the sensory input and the agitation anxiety of craving/averting the body/mind output that goes with it.

I continue to examine the sensory ongoingness for 'hang ups' and liberating leverage. If there is nothing interesting surfacing on the event horizon to examine and just the usual bs, I like to see if the inherent tragedy of life can at least be turned into comedy. I figure if Shakespeare can write a scene either way maybe so can I.

The conceptual mind naturally likes to get a run in now and then anyways, that is what it does, might as well let it do something. I think of it as kind of as the dances with no-wolves version of no-dogging. The inherent tragedy of life can't always be re-interpreted and transmuted into comedy (although a lot of it is pretty funny in any number of given lights - not many people share my 'serious sense of humor' so I have had to learn to largely refrain from commenting on what I find humorous {and/or tragic} about life. Although letting free association, conceptualization or imagination off of it's chain can be a fun exercise under the right circumstances often it is best to let go of the creative spin on things and simply remain even minded and sober about things that can seem incredibly ironic in the transparent light of a mind that isn't committed to applying any particular kind of spin at all. There is nothing so fine as to totally relax being and becoming and, as Kenneth would say, do some Buddha-ing or rigpa-ing.

Recommended reading:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanananda/wheel188.html

"The Exalted One said this:"

"Let one not trace back the past
Or yearn for the future-yet-to-come.

That which is past is left behind
Unattained is the "yet-to-come."

But that which is present he discerns
— With insight as and when it comes.

The Immovable — the-non-irritable.

In that state should the wise one grow
Today itself should one bestir
Tomorrow death may come
— who knows?

For no bargain can we strike With Death who has his mighty hosts.
But one who dwells thus ardently
By day, by night, untiringly
Him the Tranquil Sage has called
The Ideal Lover of Solitude.

This recognition of the essential relationship between mindfulness and memory is understandable, since the keenness of the one naturally leads to the clarity of the other. The denial of its rightful place to the faculty of memory in the complex scheme of mental functions, might even give rise to a schizophrenic condition. The noble disciple, therefore, would not unscrupulously contradict himself or claim to have "forgotten" what he has said and done earlier, on the flimsy ground of his devotion to the practice of "moment-to-moment awareness." On the contrary, he might, without inhibition, even develop his faculty of memory to such a degree that he could recollect his past lives and experiences in all their major and minor details (saakaara.m sa-uddesa.m pubbenivaasa.m anussarati [Saama~n~naaphala Sutta, D I 81]). What he aims at by his diligent practice of mindfulness is mastery over the pathways of thought currents, as the concluding lines of Vitakkasa.n.thaana Sutta (Discourse on the Adjustment of Thoughts) of the Majjhima Nikaaya make it clear:

This monk is called, monks, "a master of the pathways of thought modes" (vasii vitakkapariyaayapathesu), and whatever thought he wishes to think, that he thinks; whatever thought he does not wish to think, that he does not think. He has cut off craving, turned back the fetter and by fully understanding conceit, put an end to Ill.

— M I 122

The most distinctive feature of the Buddha's solution to the intricate problem of mindfulness and memory is the emphasis on detachment. The elimination of the element of delight was the essential condition to be fulfilled, and to this end he oriented his exhortations to the monks so that often the finale turns out to be: "Impermanent, O monks, are formations. Unstable, O Monks, are formations. Unsatisfying, O monks, are formations; so much so, monks, that this is enough for one to turn away from all formations; enough to get detached from them; enough to seek release from them." The theme of impermanence runs even through his contemplation of mountains and rivers, which, for the average man, offer beautiful landscapes and lasting landmarks. Indeed, this emphasis on utter detachment based on the contemplation of universal impermanence is not so marked in other systems of thought purporting to solve the above problem; even in Krishnamurthy, too much stress is laid, for instance, on the beauty of "marvelous" mountains, trees, rivers, and sunsets.

[So the question of an enlightened agenda remains. What do you do when you are entirely free to act on anything and everything internally and externally and at the same time there's nothing in particular left to do?

I continue to examine the sensory ongoingness for 'hang ups' and liberating leverage. If there is nothing interesting surfacing on the event horizon to examine and just the usual bs, I like to see if the inherent tragedy of life can at least be turned into comedy. I figure if Shakespeare can write a scene either way maybe so can I.

The conceptual mind naturally likes to get a run in now and then anyways, that is what it does, might as well let it do something. I think of it as kind of as the dances with no-wolves version of no-dogging. The inherent tragedy of life can't always be re-interpreted and transmuted into comedy (although a lot of it is pretty funny in any number of given lights - not many people share my 'serious sense of humor' so I have had to learn to largely refrain from commenting on what I find humorous {and/or tragic} about life. Although letting free association, conceptualization or imagination off of it's chain can be a fun exercise under the right circumstances often it is best to let go of the creative spin on things and simply remain even minded and sober about things that can seem incredibly ironic in the transparent light of a mind that isn't committed to applying any particular kind of spin at all. There is nothing so fine as to totally relax being and becoming and, as Kenneth would say, do some Buddha-ing or rigpa-ing.]

=============
All the best & take care
as you ride those waves
fellow Dharma surfers

triplethink/nathan

[I'm fairly confident about this kind of a description of the situation, still, this page is subject to revision and review by the accomplished here, so please feel free to comment if and when I have erred in this analysis or else failed to communicate this type of understanding comprehensively or effectively.] This page comes from notes I was making today on a couple of recently active threads:

Why reject the "limited emotional range model" of Enlightenment?
&
Chakra Pain from Dark Night

key words
Passion: Resistance, Association & Disassociation
Dispassion: Acceptance, Acknowledgement & Release

Sensory Ongoing, Being, Becoming,
Passion, Association, Clinging, Baggage, Bonding, Bondage,
Disassociation, Craving, Averting, Ignorance, Delusion, Confusion
Unmindful Identification, Adherence, carelessness, unconsciousness,

Mindful Adverting, Recognition, attending, taking care, consciousness, mindfulness,
Dispassion, Acknowledgement, Acceptance, Release, letting go, Liberation.
Hokai Sobol, modified 14 Years ago at 6/27/09 8:56 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/27/09 8:56 AM

RE: Dances With No-Wolves: Questions & Comments

Quote: "So the question of an enlightened agenda remains. What do you do when you are entirely free to act on anything and everything internally and externally and at the same time there's nothing in particular left to do?"

How about using all one's talents and abilities and the profound discovery of ever-present 'freedom-from' and getting into the cosmic game of evolutionary hide-and-seek, while manifesting the ever-elusive 'freedom-to' in order to pursue and champion and usher that which is yet wanting to evolve. Awakening to primordial awareness seems like a good starting point, and finding out that this awareness was never about staying out of the game is the realization. Your thoughts?
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 6/27/09 9:07 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/27/09 9:07 AM

Uhmmm, shhhhh.... don't blow my cover man.
; }
thumbnail
Jackson Wilshire, modified 14 Years ago at 6/27/09 9:40 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/27/09 9:40 AM

Yes!
thumbnail
Chris Marti, modified 14 Years ago at 6/27/09 5:17 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/27/09 5:17 PM

I get that loud and clear, Hokai. Every tool has its uses, doen't it?

Siddhartha
Dalai Lama
Thich Nhat Hahn
Mother Theresa
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 6/27/09 7:22 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/27/09 7:22 PM

ok, so, Hokai, so maybe... evolving to... to posting in this thread could be more fun in the light of recent devolutions... not sure that I am buying into hatching the cosmic egg or anything... are you really sure this isn't being punked by the same universe that punked me last time? 'Cause I am getting too old for this. Out of the game is the bomb, the ever sweetness, sanctuary. Why would "the universe" in which I am only a spark in an ash heap require my services to "get it done". Just wondering.

I've long found abandoning all self conceptions, including those grouped within sets and supersets to be important. These selves are all pure fiction, as are self conceptions based upon interactive online literature. In contrast to this, the rubber meets the road on the actual road and that road is drawn in dust and diesel and dukkha.
: > )
thumbnail
Tina Hamilton, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 12:41 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 12:41 AM

triplethink: The entirely clear awareness doesn't play any games of manipulation and just takes in whatever sensation comes in, accepting it all and letting go of it all simultaneously.

Well said. emoticon
Hokai Sobol, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 2:07 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 2:07 AM

I'm certain it's not the universe that punked you, or me, or anyone else.:-) Being punk'd and pwn'd is to be accepted cheerfully, no? Ultimately, this whole going on cannot be just an opportunity to develop evasion skills and thus get away without being punk'd, and I believe you know that, so I'm writing this for the sake of clarity. We are children of this universe. We *are* the eyes, hearts, and minds of this universe. Having unresolved issues with our genitor is a major source of our search for meaning and purpose, often stopping short of discovering that this whole going on is of our own creation, and thus not really taking up the task of improving what we have thus far managed to clarify to some (actually, quite exceptional) degree. An inner pureland is only a reminder and promise of an ever-receding horizon of potential that is this world in its suchness. Selves are appearances, true, but appearances of what? And why? Liberation, once found, being free of this and that, serves a definite, inherent purpose. Call it compassion, love, or service, but also creativity, novelty, emergence. And thus realization manifests spontaneously as engagement and response to everything or anything in its reach and range. Beyond the distinction of samsara and nirvana already lies the firm ground of certainty, the source of enlightened stewardship, influence, and impeccable action. Such willful engagement is it's own reward, no?
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 3:20 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 3:20 AM

Well, I beg to differ. Hide and eat is getting old. I ain't gonna work on the Universe's bone farm since beginningless time no more. It's a lovely offer but I've really got to go. We're going to play tag from now on. Catch me if you can.
thumbnail
Dan Bartlett, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 3:58 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 3:58 AM

Nothing particular left to do? Are you crazy?! :-)

One of my less pure reasons for wanting to get enlightened is so that I can stand up to points of view like these without thinking, oh maybe I just haven't realised "it" yet. Or being told that I just don't get it yet (no-one here has implied that yet). I understand that enlightenment reveals a sense of wholeness and completion, but why the lessening of interest in the rest of the world and the Universe? What about making sure the other 3 or so billion humans on Earth actually have the sufficient food, education and water to get past childhood and experience love, children, adventure, and exploration, both inner and outer? What about travelling space? What about finding other life? Of course, these things aren't worth *clinging* to and torturing oneself with, but..

Hokai's two responses pretty much summed up everything I wanted to say, beautifully. I find that some people with this "nothing to do, nowhere to go" enlightened mentality/realisation seem dissociated from the evolutionary waltz (Wilber's Spirit-in-action, thru all 4Qs) of which they are the eyes and ears and unfolding self-awareness of, not to mention the problems and opportunities facing a largely confused and unhappy humanity in the third millenium.

There may be nothing worth clinging to, no self worth protecting, but surely there's everything worth exploring, every life worth improving? For me, there is so much left to see, so much more to do. The gap between our present socio-cultural techno-scientific psycho-spiritual scenario, and our mature potential is just staggering, staggering enough to keep me occupied for the rest of my life!
nic s, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 4:12 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 4:12 AM

I don't know if I'm totally missing the boat here, but I'll offer my theoretical speculation (as I can't claim to have finished the job yet).
I remember reading here and elsewhere that becoming enlightened doesn't generally change one's personality. Jack Kornfield also makes a case for this in a recent interview http://www.soundstrue.com/podcast/?p=949#bottom that states that he was disappointed that his personality didn't go away, ...,the personality isn't what gets enlightened. (18:56')

Based on this theory you could argue for two distinct types of personality, as C.G. Jung discovered. He identified the introverted and the extroverted type, them being polar opposites, but each person has both of these elements to a certain degree. Yet one usually gravitates more to one type. This also ties in nicely with one of my favourite quotes from Aristotle that there are two ways to live the 'perfect' life, one of a contemplative life and the other of the ethical actor (in his term lawyer or statesman). In a way you could interpret the two modes as 'God-ing' or 'Buddha-ing' and a 'doer' or facilitator for social/cultural/ethical concerns. They are two modes of existence that are both perfectly acceptable and advantageous to the human condition, how one realises or gravitates to the one or the other or both simultaneously is largely down to the individual and his/her own personal make-up.
thumbnail
Chris Marti, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 4:26 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 4:26 AM

I'm made curious by the comment that there is a universe and then there is someone who is punked by it. Can there be an elaboration on that theme? When I sit still I get a tiny glimmer of an inkling that I am part of a unity, a whole, and that is being revealed only because there is a being with awareness to reveal it. This teeny weeny bit of information I have makes me think I'd have to punk myself ;-)
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 5:40 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 5:40 AM

I knew I should have cut that question and comment. sigh. Ok, that was just one line of questioning in the other thread that was OT there and is actually OT to the page I wrote. I didn't make any claim to have originated the question or to have taken a stance on any answer to it. So, before the analysis of my mentality and attitudes gets too in depth let me just mention a couple of things.

First of all, how engaged or not I am in the universe, it's manifold beings, it's course and so on is not really the subject of this thread nor was the question meant to be anything but a hangover from the other thread and the way that the subject was being approached at that time. I wasn't trying to take ownership of the question.

Secondly, for my part I am not going to try to forge any sort of defense in this thread or any other thread anywhere for the nature of my thoughts, speech and actions in the real world. They are as wise and compassionate as they are or not and there isn't any realistic way we can either examine or evaluate that online. That work happens where the real rubber meets the real road and is frankly no one's business but my own. So that is all I have to say about it.

Finally, if I'm not interested in a recurring role within samsaric existence then I'm not and I won't be re-applying. I really don't care what anyone else thinks about that. Mind your own mind, your butt is going to follow it.

@maya81: Good comment. Thanks.
Becky ZZ, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 5:45 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 5:45 AM

Thank you *so much* for saying this. We have a HUGE amount of work to do, regardless of enlightenment, concepts of "clinging" be damned.

Edit: spelling.
thumbnail
Chris Marti, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 5:56 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 5:56 AM

triplethink, I wasn't asking a personal question or prying into your private life. Sorry. I was asking a dharma question.
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 6:49 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 6:49 AM

upekkha
no problemo
here you are:

"The Exalted One said this:"

"Let one not trace back the past
Or yearn for the future-yet-to-come.

That which is past is left behind
Unattained is the "yet-to-come."

But that which is present he discerns
— With insight as and when it comes.

The Immovable — the-non-irritable.

In that state should the wise one grow
Today itself should one bestir
Tomorrow death may come
— who knows?

For no bargain can we strike With Death who has his mighty hosts.
But one who dwells thus ardently
By day, by night, untiringly
Him the Tranquil Sage has called
The Ideal Lover of Solitude.
thumbnail
tarin greco, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 8:48 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 8:48 AM

the ash heaps are vibrant, giving rise to sparks, and service is not required, yet still an opportunity. emoticon

service, from where im standing, from the perspective of one who is free to act yet finds nothing in particular to do, is best rendered as the sincere intent to extinguish identity in total. whether what you have in mind and what i have in mind are congruent remains to be seen, but i feel less and less desire to work on a bone farm myself (and more and more desire to be in such a way that 'i' - which is this desire, and any, desire itself - is rendered obsolete). what i have in mind though is to be achieved as a human being, flesh, blood, bones and all. how about you?
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 9:05 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 9:05 AM

'Nothing in particular' is a re-working or re-phrasing of 'the question of an enlightened agenda', to which all I said is it could get pretty funny seeing through foolishness at times. Guess I'll just see it along through then.

Here's more from the above link and an agenda to which I addressed the page. Anyways, screw the 'enlightened agenda', get liberated first, get free, then deal. That's been my approach some long time now and I'm not changing my sights or going on any crusades at all thank you. There is already kamma here and now and I am owner of that kamma and that is my load and I will deal with it. So forget it I don't care what the enlightened agenda would be. I'm interested in the work, that's what I wrote about there is more about it from the link:
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 9:06 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 9:06 AM

This recognition of the essential relationship between mindfulness and memory is understandable, since the keenness of the one naturally leads to the clarity of the other. The denial of its rightful place to the faculty of memory in the complex scheme of mental functions, might even give rise to a schizophrenic condition. The noble disciple, therefore, would not unscrupulously contradict himself or claim to have "forgotten" what he has said and done earlier, on the flimsy ground of his devotion to the practice of "moment-to-moment awareness." On the contrary, he might, without inhibition, even develop his faculty of memory to such a degree that he could recollect his past lives and experiences in all their major and minor details (saakaara.m sa-uddesa.m pubbenivaasa.m anussarati [Saama~n~naaphala Sutta, D I 81]). What he aims at by his diligent practice of mindfulness is mastery over the pathways of thought currents, as the concluding lines of Vitakkasa.n.thaana Sutta (Discourse on the Adjustment of Thoughts) of the Majjhima Nikaaya make it clear:
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 9:07 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 9:07 AM

This monk is called, monks, "a master of the pathways of thought modes" (vasii vitakkapariyaayapathesu), and whatever thought he wishes to think, that he thinks; whatever thought he does not wish to think, that he does not think. He has cut off craving, turned back the fetter and by fully understanding conceit, put an end to Ill.

— M I 122

The most distinctive feature of the Buddha's solution to the intricate problem of mindfulness and memory is the emphasis on detachment. The elimination of the element of delight was the essential condition to be fulfilled, and to this end he oriented his exhortations to the monks so that often the finale turns out to be: "Impermanent, O monks, are formations. Unstable, O Monks, are formations. Unsatisfying, O monks, are formations; so much so, monks, that this is enough for one to turn away from all formations; enough to get detached from them; enough to seek release from them." The theme of impermanence runs even through his contemplation of mountains and rivers, which, for the average man, offer beautiful landscapes and lasting landmarks. Indeed, this emphasis on utter detachment based on the contemplation of universal impermanence is not so marked in other systems of thought purporting to solve the above problem; even in Krishnamurthy, too much stress is laid, for instance, on the beauty of "marvelous" mountains, trees, rivers, and sunsets.

to which one might add:
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 9:14 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 9:14 AM

U Want Me 2

[lyrics written & copyright by
Sarah Mclachlan]

you walk on by
clueless and so high
following your aimless path
away from us

your so far away
and what can i say
cause i cant be the one
you wanted me to be

[Chorus]
so tell me how do you feel
its so confusing
if you let it all go it will fall apart
do you want me to stay and say
"i still want you"
you want me too dont you?

(ba ba ba)

so what are we saying
our edens a failuire
a made up story to fit the
picture perfect world

the one with "i do"
and "I love you"
and "we are made for each other"
is forever over now

[chorus]

I hope theres forgiveness
in the distance between us
can we make the lives ahead of us
a better place to be

[chorus]

(ba ba ba baa da da ta X4)
thumbnail
tarin greco, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 9:46 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 9:46 AM

i think you've left me behind in a cloud of diesel dust there nathan...

(how) does your reply relate to my post.. or how does it relate to your 'getting out of the game' agenda?
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 8:32 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 8:32 PM

Yeah, that was the idea, you can't hide but you can run.

If you find a copy of that track by Ms. McLachlan, loop it and listen to it repeatedly while reading the link given above and you will pretty much have my headspace today cased. A sense of the irony of things was very strong early this a.m., pacific daylight time. This afternoon I had a date with a chainsaw and an overgrown stand of alders which was mainly that kind of mindfulness practice involving strict attending to the 18 inches of ripping chain that can cut through a leg in about a half second. Very good for concentration, or perhaps if not, mindfulness of death at least. Ironic again, either way.

Managing an oxygen farm can be dangerous work, but I derive a very large personal negative carbon deficit or perhaps alternatively what might be called an oxygen surplus. Oh, yes, you are all very welcome btw. Cheers from your friendly rainforest silvaculturalists, may everyone continue to inhale freely and be well.

To summarize, I work to think more freely and in accordance with my comprehension of the dhamma - and I will continue to do so. However, my participation in DhO is not focused on philosophical outlooks, metaphysical cookbooks, a sense of mission or participatory cosmogenesis of the transmission, it is purely practical.

cont. ->
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 8:32 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 8:32 PM

There are other forums where I would much rather go into heavyweight ontological concerns or philosophical perspectives and so on. I'm not interested dealing with those agendas at all here, we lack the structured facilities for the lucidity and harmony necessary to parse the minutia of doctrinal details here.

What would be an enlightened agenda seemed like a question under consideration at the time I wrote up the page. It would be confusing to cut those paragraphs from Dances With No-Wolves at this point. That will teach me to get slack with my editing.

Personally, I don't have an agenda or want one. I'm busy with a vigil. At the time I simply thought, while I was writing the other thing, that the question could be shifted out of the other thread if people still wanted to address it. Ask Hokai to elucidate what he has to say about an agenda, he seems to be into it. I have no idea what I would do with my summer vacations if I were an Arahat. As I said, out of the game is the bomb/balm in my experience, aside from that I'm not looking for getting out or in, I'm simply looking.

metta & upekkha
thumbnail
tarin greco, modified 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 8:45 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/28/09 8:45 PM

a good point. this is probably not the place to discuss that issue, or artefact, or agenda (whichever the case may be), and so i will leave the wolves to their no-howls.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 8/20/09 6:14 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 8/20/09 6:14 AM

Author: Ryguy913

I came upon this passage a few days ago, and dug it back up to throw into the no-dogs den for them to tear to shreds. To follow through on such a plan, I've shoved myself squarely into the Macbeth camp (a battle to the death, fought with no-one, fought for no-thing, and ending in the only 'place' anything ever ends).

"Lay on, Macduff, / And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'" (5.8.33-34).

In that context, please consider the tragicomic ironies of the notion of victory, and please consider the 'way to the win,' as outlined by the Buddha below:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.7.10.than.html

At Rajagaha. As he was standing to one side, Uttara the deva's son recited this verse in the Blessed One's presence:
Life is swept along, next-to-nothing its span. For one swept on by aging no shelters exist. Perceiving this danger in death, one should do deeds of merit that bring about bliss.

[The Buddha:]
Life is swept along, next-to-nothing its span. For one swept to old age no shelters exist. Perceiving this danger in death, one should drop the world's bait and look for peace.
thumbnail
triple think, modified 14 Years ago at 8/20/09 9:18 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 8/20/09 9:18 PM

It's not the swimming in bait that makes a day challenging so much as the sharks having a day of it. Nature red in tooth and claw, and coleslaw.

Enough tooth in it for you?

Breadcrumb