General instructions for doing 2nd path

thumbnail
Dark Night Yogi, modified 14 Years ago at 8/28/09 6:15 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 8/28/09 6:15 PM

General instructions for doing 2nd path

Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

I got new path aug 27 morning. now im sure of it
q: Anyone have recommended instructions for meditation now? or have a link to ongoing discussions about doing 2nd path
q:Is there a way to guage progress and tell if im close to 3
q:does attainment of 3rd path require long retreats? (as 1st 2 were realistic with weekend retreats only)
q:right now, things are pretty stable. will this continue and will things be easier from now on? = )

Thank you in advance. May happiness and Joy be!
(reposting my old post but changed subject name)
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 8/29/09 4:37 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 8/29/09 4:37 AM

RE: General instructions for doing 2nd path

Dear Mindful1983,

Hey, greetings from a gathering of DhO'ers here in Minnesota. Tarin (theprisonergreco), Trent (yabaxoule), Chuck (Chelek) and Antonio (postreptilian) and a few lurkers are all here hanging out after a nice breakfast and are happy to try to help.

Instructions for meditation now:

Chuck and Tarin say: "Don't do anything!"
Trent says: "Meditate a lot!" and laughs.
Daniel says: "Continue to investigate the Three Characteristics and read my book!" (What did you expect?)
Chuck adds: "Just be present with what is going on and follow a more relaxed, intuitive approach and go with the flow," but he is from California.

As to getting close to three: emptiness/luminosity/centerless in realtime, says Daniel, subtle dualities, less fascination with cycles, more about being here now as this being it, more about it all happening on its own.

Does attaining third path require long retreats: huge no: three people sitting here on this couch got it without long retreats, and all in daily life, and Chuck was watching a movie about a schizophrenic.

Daniel says: As to stability: no promises that all bumps and complexities are over, not by a long shot. You never know what might come up. A few sitting here had hard times in late third, and I have had a bunch of friends who had really, really hard times in second, but there is great variation.

Tarin says: it really doesn't have to be hard, and we all agree.

Let us know if this helps, and perhaps when we have our next gathering you can show up,

Daniel, Chuck, Tarin, Trent, and Antonio

CCasey just showed up and says shut up and don't talk to a lot of people about this, balance your life, asks what are you drawn to, notice what you resonate with, and follow your intuition and go for it and go with the flow, and she is not from California.
thumbnail
Dark Night Yogi, modified 14 Years ago at 8/29/09 5:30 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 8/29/09 5:30 AM

RE: General instructions for doing 2nd path

haha thanks Daniel, Chuck, Trent, Chuck adds, Tarin, Antonio and CCasey.

-helpful on variety of 2nd path experiences
-helpful - will forego plans of quitting my job to go on a 3 month retreat

i guess i can slow down now with the hard-core practice, try to balance and work on areas of my life that got affected. = )
One tremendous thing i noticed is like from 30fps im up to 60fps in noticing, or being with the breath. another is, i can now practice emptiness/centerless.

one thing im drawn to is, trying to make everyday life 'samadhi'esque' or 'in the zone', or 'jhanic', keeping that level of flow and equanimity, staying away from defilements, and practicing the 4 immeasurable minds.
its now possible to practice without being in the cushion! (which frees up time)

thanks again & would love to show up but im in Asia.

Breadcrumb