thumbnail
Dark Night Yogi, modified 14 Years ago at 9/4/09 8:52 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/4/09 8:52 PM

Off-the-Cushion practices

Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

Hi

do you guys have rules like 'trying to do one thing at a time?'
do you guys try to be here & now as much as possible
are you strict, making the most out of everyday experience and making it the practice?
or is meditation something that just happens 'on-the-cushion', and the rest of life, just as it used to be before getting into meditation.
any of you renounce worldly pleasures? sensual desires?
for those with paths, has meditation given any new powers that give significantly easier time in any daily life tasks?
Do any of you try to live in samadhi throughout the day? being in the zone as much as possible?
Trent S H, modified 14 Years ago at 9/5/09 6:19 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/5/09 6:19 AM

RE: Off-the-Cushion practices

Hey there,

Trying to do one at a time: This is a good rule in general life, as the mind can only ever do one thing at a time. "Multitasking" is an illusion because the mind is simply "single tasking" in small chunks of time, back and forth from one exercise to the other. This is also true of off-cushion practice, since it is much easier to be mindful (in the meditative sense) of one's activity if you focus solely on that one activity.

Being here and now: Yes. Typically, the more mindful you are, the better. Even if you aren't actively engaging in investigation, general mindfulness causes some kind of "investigation" to automatically happen, which is very useful. Especially stages such as equanimity/4th vipassana jhana.

Strictness: I was extremely strict. Anytime I had ANY amount of time, I would do insight practice. 30 seconds is plenty if you have something specific to think about. Furthermore, most of my big breakthroughs happened during my lunch break at work and the 15 minutes it took my then-girlfriend to drive to my place. Utilizing small chunks of time is invaluable, see (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law).

I tried a renunciation trip prior to reading MTCB, and in a way I do think it showed me some interesting things (not usually related to insight). I don't think it's necessary at all, and probably caused more trouble than it was worth.

Samadhi/jhana just happens after a certain point, especially for folks stream entry or further along. The samatha jhanas you can potentially "accidentally" be in is typically reflected by your current level of attainment. Thus, if 1st path = 1st jhana, 2nd path = 1st/2nd jhana, 3rd path = 1st/2nd/3rd jhana, 4th path = 1st/2nd/3rd/4th jhana. And that's ignoring sub-jhanas, and a host of other factors. My point is simply that samadi will "do itself" without much need for effort.
Trent S H, modified 14 Years ago at 9/5/09 6:20 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/5/09 6:20 AM

Lastly-- what sort of "easier time" with daily tasks are you referring to? Are they more enjoyable? More motivation to do them? Increase in efficiency or mental acuity?

Best,
Trent
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 9/5/09 9:16 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/5/09 9:16 AM

Author: GreisGreis

Yes, I do have little simple rules. And they are extremely important to both the spiritual path and living a happy normal life.

"Detachment (from thoughts), Acceptance, and Humility" when things get out of hand or seem hopeless.
"Don't be stupid" if extremely compulsive actions seem like a good idea.
"You can take as much time as you like to reach enlightenment (for lack of a better term)"

I find those three make life AND practice much more enjoyable, interesting and optimistic. The spiritual path doesn't have to be a burden.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 9/5/09 1:53 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/5/09 1:53 PM

Author: GreisGreis

Also, this might not be a rule, but it's an important thing to keep in mind. With increased practice, I've noticed that there is a greater incentive to help people in general. Be careful not to burden yourself with their problems. In most cases, especially with people you are close to, it is tempting to try and solve their problems. This can get kind of weird because in most cases, the best help you can do is to just be yourself to them. Don't be their psychologist, and please do not "throw Dharma" at them and their problems.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 9/5/09 2:11 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/5/09 2:11 PM

Author: TheQuestioner7

"Samadhi/jhana just happens after a certain point, especially for folks stream entry or further along. The samatha jhanas you can potentially "accidentally" be in is typically reflected by your current level of attainment. Thus, if 1st path = 1st jhana, 2nd path = 1st/2nd jhana, 3rd path = 1st/2nd/3rd jhana, 4th path = 1st/2nd/3rd/4th jhana. And that's ignoring sub-jhanas, and a host of other factors. My point is simply that samadi will "do itself" without much need for effort. "

It's funny you mention this because I started doing samatha meditation recently along with my insight and I started accidentally going into jhanas even while in public! Ususally its 2nd jhana even though I vaguely consider myself in first path equanimity.

I have a slightly unique question: Do you think that the 2nd jhana has any conection with socializing or activities like that? And the 3rd jhana seems to come out whenever I do artistic or creative things. This is just something to think about. emoticon

Jeff
thumbnail
Dark Night Yogi, modified 14 Years ago at 9/6/09 2:37 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/6/09 2:37 AM

this is a problem i encountered. actually, trying to do it too much. in daily life you really cant do one thing at a time. i tended to make most of my time walking anywhere a meditation. or other things like doing things in the kitchen. it developed into a sort of 'mechanical' habit where 'flow' was sort of lost. i think it became unhealthy as i was even getting less creative/dumber, as i stopped thinking. thinking usually happens while doing everyday tasks like this. so now im trying to just 'be aware' and be in the flow

with renounciation, i sort of did that with music, movies, tv, or any sensual desires really, and managed to cope ok and i think it did its due, though now im trying to put back music. though i did it in a way where i only didnt do it if it were a desire of mine, not if i were someone elses. as it is an activity and habit developing one, strengthening the 'small self' so im careful about when im doing those things to be extra aware. that also sort of was a learning experience as it developed into 'neurotic' behavior.

do any of u listen to a lot of music? and have the old habit of 'listening to music while working'? or working out, walking, etc. so listening to music while doing anything. music used to be a big part of my life and temptation to listen to it while working. so it sounds like a simple unimportant detail but have u guys experienced that sorta dilemmas to ur 'small self'
Trent S H, modified 14 Years ago at 9/6/09 3:54 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/6/09 3:54 AM

Jeff, interesting thought, but I have not paid attention to see if those things are the case!

Mindful, I do not find music to be a problem, but I can't say what the case is for you. I actually use to meditate a lot using music, and in fact attained arhatship while listening to some really kick-ass metal. I think it's fine as long as it's something to help you stay mindful (closely listening to the music), rather than dull (zoning out while music covers up the world).

Trent
thumbnail
Klaus Lundahl Engelholt, modified 14 Years ago at 9/6/09 6:34 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/6/09 6:34 AM

I'm unsure if this is off-topic on DhO … However, I have lately had success with implementing “headless” meditation in my daily life. I'm referring to the experiments shown on http://www.headless.org/experiments.htm (use the right-hand menu).

I took a 10-day Goenka course back in June, and saw that I am actually just a random collection of physical sensations, thoughts and beliefs. This insight has been difficult for me to integrate in my daily life.
Another thing is: I prefer results in the daily life, not only on the cushion, so I've been looking to see if I could include other pratices (Bill Harvey's “Mind Magic” and Jed McKenna's “Spiritual Autolysis” comes to mind).

The headless experiments are all pointing to who I really am, and it's amazing how fast it works (count in minutes, not hours or days), although I assume I have to practice more to attain an abiding perspective.

Does this kind of practice count here on DhO? It's the most effecient practice I've ever encountered. It turns out that what it shows me I've already experienced a lot of times (first time in kindergarten!), but I always thought it was wrong to have a perspective like that.

You can practice headlessness anywhere: While doing the dishes, while walking, while talking to your friends, … everywhere … and the practice quickly puts “me” out there where “I” belong, so that I'm not stealing the scene from the no-self.

Cheers,
Klaus
thumbnail
Dark Night Yogi, modified 14 Years ago at 9/6/09 7:18 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/6/09 7:18 AM

thanks for that Klaus. i will check out that next time i log on.
i havnt read it yet but with your description, the closest i think i can say is how i feel after meditating and to take a piss after. i always have this 'headless' feeling.

- Mitch

Breadcrumb