The (n) characteristics of actual freedom

Craig N, modified 14 Years ago at 9/8/09 12:02 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/8/09 12:02 PM

The (n) characteristics of actual freedom

Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

Hi all

In the interest of promoting practice, and practice-oriented feedback, relating to this topic of actual freedom, rather than further promoting sily meta-discussions of whether promotion or discussion of it is appropriate on a dharma site, I have been practicing this morning and thought I'd share something which I am only just noticing now. So these is notes from the coalface, as it were.

Buddhism describes the three characteristics of existence. Noticing these characteristics in every sensation leads to the progress of insight, eventually leading to enlightenment.

It occurred to me this morning there are a number of characteristics of actually being here now, which must be noticed to attain to the PCE of actualism.

I don't have a definitive list, but from my personal practice these are the characteristics:

Enjoyable - it is enjoyable to be here now, paying exclusive attention to the senses and to thought in the present moment rather than in mind-fabrications
Fascinating - it is fascinating to be here now, as a flesh and blood human being, experiencing this moment of being alive
Pure - this moment in time, this place in space is purity itself. There is nothing impure with things just the way they are.
Perfect - everything is perfect just the way it is. (possibly related to purity but subtlely different)

It seems to me, based on my practice this morning, that there may be a progress of actualist insight.

Noticing those characteristics, and then paying attention to minds awareness of itself, aka apperception, which can also be achieved through the instruction of "awareness watching awareness", leads one directly to the PCE. This seems, to me, to be the equivalent of an arising and passing away.

(to be continued)
Craig N, modified 14 Years ago at 9/8/09 12:06 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/8/09 12:06 PM

RE: The (n) characteristics of actual freedom

I think the discovery of the pure consciousness experience is a progress stage which is followed by a new type of dark night.

I noticed that the PCE dropped back down into pre-PCE when I stopped noticing those characteristics, although my mind was still aware of itself. Paying attention to the (n) characteristics brought back the PCE.

Further, as I stay in the PCE paying attention to these characteristics, a pressure at the third eye region is felt, and a vague nausea at my gut has begun, which faded while I was writing the last piece of this post, but has returned again now.

This is very familiar territory in mapping terms, now that I have accomplished a large number of insight cycles to fruition.

If anyone is interested in a practical perspective on this topic, I'd be really fascinated to see if this is true for others too.

Kind regards
Craig

Breadcrumb