RE: Lost in media overload

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 9/28/10 3:12 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/28/10 3:12 AM

Glad you liked the book. Do you have the luxury of the time and resources to go on an insight retreat? If you find yourself drawn to Mahasi style practice, there are multiple places to choose from, but the important thing is to just go, note, follow instructions, and see what happens.

MCTB can be pretty confusing despite my attempts to make it clear. I personally like Practical Insight Meditaiton a lot, found here in the Wiki and on line in other places and available in print also. Try reading it and see if you have any questions. Noting practice is that simple. It is just a question of actually doing that very simple thing well.

Helpful?

Daniel
Brian M Sullivan, modified 13 Years ago at 9/28/10 11:46 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/28/10 11:46 AM

Daniel,

Thank you for the response. I will look into the material you suggested. The one retreat I did go to wanted us to stay away from noting. I have tried it a few times. When doing it I felt as though I wasnt seeing the sensations as well. After readiing Practical Insight, I will have another go with it.

Sincerely,

Brian
thumbnail
S Pro, modified 13 Years ago at 9/29/10 6:34 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/29/10 6:34 AM

Hi Brian,

I´m just getting into noting practice too.
All the best for your meditation
sven
Brian M Sullivan, modified 13 Years ago at 9/29/10 11:33 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/29/10 11:33 AM

Sven...

thank you. Nice to hear from you. I have tried the noting. I really need to find an ecopy of Practical Insight. when I note, there are just to many sensations to note and I get behind. So I'm not sure if Im doing it correctly. I am finding choiceless awareness seems to be a nice fit. So i've been starting off with noting, then moving into that.

Would love to have a dharma friend. Keep in touch and let me know how your practice is going.

Sincerely
Brian
thumbnail
J Groove, modified 13 Years ago at 9/29/10 11:50 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/29/10 11:50 AM

Hi Brian.
If you go to this thread below and scroll about halfway down, you'll see downloadable PDF files from the new translation of Mahasi Sayadaw's "Manual of Insight." It should fit the bill nicely.

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/443445

Best of luck with your practice,
Joel
Brian M Sullivan, modified 13 Years ago at 9/29/10 5:20 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/29/10 5:20 PM

Joel,

Your response is greatly appreciated. When I get home this evening I will utilize the link you mentioned.

Thank you
Brian

Breadcrumb