Cycling

Paul Smith, modified 5 Years ago at 12/8/18 2:49 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 12/8/18 2:49 AM

Cycling

During a retreat I suddenly realized I'm cycling for quite some time. Cycles are distributed over the span of months, when I'm not practising intensly and are compressed into few hours when concentration is high. Does that mean I got stream entry? I remember few instances where there was a blip in my awareness, like a tv screen losing signal for a moment. It wasnt anything spectacular so I ignored these experiences. Also, I didn't feel particularly different after them. What that blip a cessation? If so, my POI doesn't seem to fit the maps.
thumbnail
Konstantin Alexandrov, modified 5 Years ago at 12/8/18 3:01 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 12/8/18 2:54 PM

RE: Cycling

From my limited experience (2nd Path this week I believe) a cessation experience is unexpected, rather not spectacular and may seem to be just a glitch. It is ok to feel completely normal or even too normal after it. As a Dharma-buddy of mine stated, it could be that the attention needs some time to move its focus to the new state. I also found it really helpful to start a diary of the mind states and the stages during the day and during the sits, for the Review stage, that was Daniel Ingram's advice. Why do you think your Progress of Insight doesn't fit the maps?
Paul Smith, modified 5 Years ago at 12/10/18 2:51 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 12/10/18 2:51 AM

I can id the dukkha nanas, but instead of reobservation I'm getting a tour of brahma viharas. I dont see EQ/blip/review, but joyful states, dukkha nanas in reverse order, review and back to baseline.
thumbnail
Andromeda, modified 5 Years ago at 12/10/18 6:57 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 12/10/18 6:57 AM

Was just talking about this with a dharma friend--

The vast majority of times that people think they've gotten stream entry, it's actually just an A&P which can be an extremely convincing mimic. It's easy to be fooled and many are. What you are describing sounds to me more like a mimic, but who knows? Even the most skilled and experienced dharma diagnosticians can be wrong, even when they know a practitioner and their practice very well.

Regardless, the most important thing is to just keep investigating. The path is lifelong and so in a sense there's not rush and it really doesn't matter so much whether it was or wasn't stream entry. Being very present-oriented and fully experiencing whatever arises no matter what words or conceptual labels we might put on them, be they pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral, really is key at any stage of the path right up through the most advanced. 

And whatever it was--enjoy the brahma viharas!