Weird things that happen when you are too sleepy to meditate properly

thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 5 Years ago at 12/16/18 7:52 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 12/16/18 7:52 AM

Weird things that happen when you are too sleepy to meditate properly

Yesterday a strange sort of spatial disorientation occured while meditating in a sleepy state. It was probably my fifth session that day, and I should have gone to bed, really, I guess. Anyway... I probably spaced out. There may have been some kind of a unknowing event, but I’m not sure about that. Quite possibly it was just a regular space out, or even some micro-sleep. When I came back to my senses I had this strange sensation that I was sitting upside down with my mat below me. It was so weird. I had to imagine letting my body slide down as if inside a circle until I felt myself sitting with my but on the floor again. I had the sensation of pressure from the floor all the time, but still it felt as if I was upside down. Also, although I’m not very visual at all, I had mental images of seeing myself being upside down. These were very vague, though.

I’m not worried about this. I just think it’s funny. Maybe it was one of those hypnagogic hallucinations. Has this happened to anyone else?

I would love if you would share your experiences from meditating when you should probably have slept instead.

Breadcrumb