Noting - Beginner Question

Paul Duplessis, modified 13 Years ago at 10/11/10 4:34 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/11/10 4:33 AM

Noting - Beginner Question

Hi guys,

I am starting Vipassana using the noting technique of Mahasi Sayadaw as taught in Daniel Ingram's MCTB. My first goal is Stream Entry. My question is: should I note at all times (if possible) or only during set meditation periods? I don't have a teacher so I would appreciate any tips.

Paul
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 10/11/10 4:55 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/11/10 4:55 AM

RE: Noting - Beginner Question

That would depend on the circumstances of your life, I would say.

If you were having a complex conversation with your boss, I wouldn't note "hearing, talking, thinking" but instead would pay attention in the ordinary sense. Same for driving in heavy traffic, solving complex problems, reading, and things that explicitly need strong attention to the content in order for things to work out well.

When not doing those things, such as when walking, when riding on an elevator, when washing dishes, when brushing your teeth, when laying in bed, etc, noting can be very helpful when coupled with the strong investigation that gives rise to the clarity of sensations that you note.

Helpful?

Daniel
Paul Duplessis, modified 13 Years ago at 10/11/10 6:33 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/11/10 6:33 AM

Thanks for your reply, Daniel. Yes, it is helpful.

I'll note whenever possible and see how it works out. I haven't found it distracting yet. If anything, it makes work and social situations easier by relieving some excess self-consciousness. It's a better use of superfluous self-awareness than feeling awkward and fidgety! :-)

Paul
thumbnail
Daniel Williams, modified 13 Years ago at 12/22/10 5:55 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/22/10 5:55 PM

Not sure if this would be approved advice. But I've noticed...

There are times where you can still be in the "observer" mode without being engaged in active noting, where you're still doing a lot of good work, but maybe more able to interact in normal life type situations.

It's sort of like the old cartoons with the angel/devil on the shoulder...you're sort of watching your reactions, compulsions, etc...while your body/mind do their thing, but since you are sub-vocalizing through noting, then you're a little more ready to respond or jump into the body if needed. Hard to explain, but to me it's sort of an in between ground: not normal life reactivity, but not full on noting.

Another option, almost the opposite, would be to use interactions as a concentration practice, similar to being in a state of "flow". See if while talking to someone you can be wholly engaged with them...or while doing a task, or whatever. It's more of a Zen approach (loosely), but for me, it beats just floating back into normal dualistic, reactive thinking. When you're driving, just drive. No phones, no music, no thoughts, just scanning mirrors, maintaining safe following distance, etc.

All of it is just sort of playing with your experience; using yourself and every interaction as an experiment to bring more understanding...or a way to develop more concentration for future use...