Mind and body during strength training

Polaris, modified 5 Years ago at 12/27/18 3:00 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 12/27/18 2:58 PM

Mind and body during strength training

When I'm doing strength trainings, at the end of every set, there is evident suffering due to the muscular stress. However, I'm long accostumed to note that most of that suffering actually comes from an overreact from the mind, a kind of desperation and extreme agitation. When I notice that, I can come in touch with the physical sensations alone that make up the experience and it's easy to see how most of the suffering is just the mind overreacting, while the muscular sensations aren't so bad, even when I'm getting closer and closer to fatigue. Is this the mind and body vipassana nana?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 5 Years ago at 12/27/18 3:40 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 12/27/18 3:40 PM

RE: Mind and body during strength training

The nana that is called the knowledge of mind and body is the realization that these are two distinct things. Experiences are made up of both - an experience and then the mental recognition of that experience. 
Polaris, modified 5 Years ago at 12/27/18 5:37 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 12/27/18 5:37 PM

At first there is the experience of suffering. Then, there is an investigation of the experience. The investigation leads to the perception of two different and separate things: the bodily sensations and the mental activities. The realisation of this separation and furter investigation of the experiences lead to a reduction in suffering, due to the fact that most of the suffering is just mental activity, that vanishes when investigated.

Isn't the realisation of the bodily sensations and mental sensations composing the experience as distinct phenomena the nana? Am I missing something?
thumbnail
Jordi, modified 5 Years ago at 12/28/18 8:36 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 12/28/18 4:15 AM

Hi Polaris! I think you have the point. You saw form your direct expirence how the mind react to a body sensation and you can seperate them observing that the body generates pain and then the mind overeacts with suffering. 

Observing clear how suffering/estress/aversion araise depending the situation you are experiencing ( it can comes from diferent objects, pain is a obious one ) is very important insight. For my expirence this insights can go deeper and deeper. Is not a knowleage that is black or white, like you have it all or you have nothing, always you can go a deeper layer of this knowledge.

Keep investigating emoticon emoticon !!!
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 5 Years ago at 12/28/18 9:32 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 12/28/18 9:32 AM

Am I missing something?

I don't think so. I was just trying to give you a baseline definition of mind and body to work from.
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 5 Years ago at 12/28/18 1:15 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 12/28/18 1:15 PM

Yea, that could be the 1st nana.  As you describe, it should be a visceral, nonconceptual observation.. something unique & surprising, frequently taking the form of an "aha" moment.  This epiphany flavor becomes more prominent in the 2nd nana. It requires a good degree of absorption into the sensations of your world at that time.

Breadcrumb