Brain stem

, modified 12 Years ago at 5/30/11 1:17 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/16/10 11:37 AM

Brain stem

Hello:

Luciano provided the following quote from Richard's site:

RIchard:
Becoming free of the human condition is a physiological occurrence, centred at the nape of the neck (the top of the brain-stem/base of the brain), wherein the ‘lizard-brain’ mutates out of its primeval state ... but if this mutation is not allowed its completion one becomes enlightened. To become spiritually free the ego-self (‘I’ as ego) must die/dissolve ... all genuinely enlightened beings point to a single edifying moment of awakening (with a variety of descriptions) wherein the personal self (or ‘being’) transmogrifies into the impersonal self or ‘being’ (or non-self) ... and which ‘being’ (often capitalised as ‘Being’) exists timelessly, spacelessly and formlessly. To become actually free the soul-self (‘me’ as soul) must also die/dissolve ... the total extirpation of ‘being’ (and thus ‘Being’) itself.
From http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/richard/default.htm

Does anyone who has achieved actual freedom from/in Richard's instruction recognize this?

For example, [another's] actual freedom is made public (older thread) and recounted below in the [x] thread (I have not included [person's]useful descriptions of the days before):

today at 3:30pm experienced some anxiety. Upon looking around for the reason for such anxiety, seeing the perfection of the actual world, anxiety vanished, along with any other feeling, including happiness. What was left was a "vibrant no-being," a cohesiveness of experience, a fluency of sensation, and nothing else. Seems different from pce. There is no effort and now it is 7:02pm and state persists. Seems more stable than pce.

[X] do you recall if anything was felt in the brain stem region?

[Edited 5/30/11 to remove contributor's personal information]
Jason Lissel, modified 13 Years ago at 10/16/10 3:47 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/16/10 3:47 PM

RE: Brain stem

Do brains have touch receptors, or whatever, that enable kinesthetic sensation?
Lloth _, modified 13 Years ago at 10/16/10 4:17 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/16/10 4:17 PM

Jason L:
Do brains have touch receptors, or whatever, that enable kinesthetic sensation?

because the skull and brain have no pain receptors

http://anesthesiology.osu.edu/article.cfm?ID=3259

No it doesn't. However this is an experience, so that doesn't suggest it relates to the physical anatomy. It might be related to how the brain maps that anatomy. Much like phantom limb syndrome.
, modified 13 Years ago at 10/16/10 9:29 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/16/10 9:27 PM

HI Jason -

Most brains do have receptors that enable sensory perception.

Some people cannot feel pain at all (CIPA).

Brain can modulate nerve signaling pain.

Here's how pain works (simply and with a simple current understanding):

stimuli ---> peripheral nerves (nociceptors, specifically) ---> spinal cord (dorsal horn! not Vince Horn!) transmission of nociceptors' electrical pulses (slight delay after the stimuli) ---> chemical activation of different nerve cells that promote the message to the brain ---> thalamus! (control tower) ---> (3) branches instantaneously get triggered:

-- somatosensory cortex (voila, pain is (enter location here))

--- limbic system (emotional suffering)

--- frontal cortex (cultural meanings of pain)

The brain is obviously a huge frontier, and I am not expert, so all of the above should be amended and expanded as desired.

I hope we will address the physicality of the AF experience.
, modified 13 Years ago at 10/17/10 1:28 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/17/10 1:28 AM

Hi Jason - James Austin wrote a book several years ago called Zen and the Brain. He has a section on the thalamus (top of brain stem) that is available to read on google books.
Jason Lissel, modified 13 Years ago at 10/17/10 3:14 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/17/10 3:14 AM

Thanks Katy, I'll check it out.
, modified 13 Years ago at 10/17/10 10:21 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/17/10 10:01 AM

Hi Jason -

I personally caveat science-citing to say, that while I appreciate any logical look at anything/anyone -- philosophy, science and their professional stewards may be no more or less likely to uphold a logical, objective-aspiring view than anyone else.

However, because they usually exist in a realm of peer review and scrutiny, I do think stewards of the scientific method are a bit more likely to be logical in their proposals and conclusions than the non-scientific method population. With this tremendous information age, knowledge, scrutiny and conclusions can be subjected to so many more considerations, to everyone's advantage, in my opinion.

What I use in regards to any conclusion being promoted:

-- its sources (which can include financial-backing, which backing can grossly re-size the nature of a study and can strongly influence for desired outcomes)

-- its methodology

-- its ability to withstand challenges to its methodology

What I do to form personal conviction (which I require for myself in lieu of faith), is to seek answers through experience and logic. If I cannot recreate the experience/experiment, I scrutinize the methodology (if there is one).

With actualism, one can perform the experiments for themselves. With AF, I do not know if I can perform the experiment for myself yet, but it is logical that a) some in the forum have conviction that anyone can do the AF experiment for ourselves, and b) others in the forum trust the experiment is worth doing.

I.e., It took a long time for Stanley to get his 1919 image of space-time, but he did, which photo brought Mr. Einstein's theories to millions rather quickly (and nearly a century of experimentation, scrutiny and applications!).

___

I have admired the tibetan tradition of debate and the requirement that its monastic children be able to express for themselves their conviction in an isolated subject, i.e., nothingness. The students spend hours a day in practice, study and debate. The debate has conduct codes in ensure orderly process and learning, as well as respect between the defender and the questioner.

here is a video and write-up:
http://www.snow-crest-inn-dharamsala.com/tibetan-monks-debate.html

For me, DhO offers this wonderful opportunity.

___

So, back to the point: brain stem - anyone what to share their brain-change?

More from sir richard on the brain stem change:
The day finally dawns when something irrevocable happens inside the skull. In an ecstatic moment of being present, ‘I’ as ego and ‘me’ as soul expire. ‘I’ the personality and ‘me’ the being ceases to exist, permanently. There is a sensation inside the top of the brain-stem that is experienced as a physical ‘turning over’ of some kind ... something that can never, ever, turn back. Something irrevocable happens and everything is different, somehow, although everything stays the same physically ... with the outstanding exception of a perfection and purity permeating all and everything.
Something has changed, although it is as if nothing has happened ... except that the entire world is a magical fairy-tale-like playground full of incredible joy and delight that is never-ending. ‘My’ demise was as fictitious as ‘my’ apparent presence. I have always been here, I realise, it was that ‘I’ only imagined that ‘I’ existed. It was all an emotional play in a fertile imagination ... which was, however, fuelled by an actual hormonal substance triggered off from within the brain-stem because of the instinctual passions bestowed by blind nature. Thus the psyche – the entire affective faculty born of the instincts itself – is wiped out forever and one is finally what one actually is: this thinking and reflective flesh-and-blood body simply brimming with sense organs, delighting in this very sensual world of actual experience.

http://actualfreedom.com.au/richard/default.htm

___
[EDIT: grammar and added 'aspiring' after 'objective'. In my view no being can not achieve 100% 'objective' view do to the containment of the being's lens. I.e., we can see many aspects of a flower, but we cannot see it in the full UV spectrum, because the human lens does not allow for UV perception as such. This is a point of mental curiosity though and not necessarily needed for practice, although may benefit practice].
[EDIT2: clarification of my admiration for the tibetan dialetic]
, modified 13 Years ago at 10/17/10 10:52 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/17/10 10:50 AM

Here are some of tarin's words on the causality of the brain stem change (from Luciano's thread - RE: How I achieved Actual Freedom from Actual Freedom 10/17/10 8:57 ):
as what brings about the mutation of consciousness that produces an actual freedom is not a dismantling of the social identity, but an extinction of the instinctual passions (and thus an extirpation of the psyche that arises from those passions' activity)

So, while the above is part of a clarification in another thread, what tarin is confirming is: "a mutation of consciousness".

And Richard confirms a "physiological occurrence".

For the avoidance of confusion, tarin's "mutation of consciousness" is not incongruous with Richard's "physiological occurrence"

Physiology:
The scientific study of an organism's vital functions, including growth and development, the absorption and processing of nutrients, the synthesis and distribution of proteins and other organic molecules, and the functioning of different tissues, organs, and other anatomic structures. Physiology studies the normal mechanical, physical, and biochemical processes of animals and plants.http://www.thefreedictionary.com/physiology
, modified 13 Years ago at 10/17/10 1:23 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/17/10 1:23 PM

As reprinted on the web here: http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/auszp/austin/chapter107.html
Austin's earlier work (excerpted a one-page Q&A excerpted section of chp 107) addresses some brain stem phenomena and postulations (brain stem bolded by me):

In general, barbiturates depress and inhibit behavior. Why does excitation occur when the lower brain stem is inhibited by a local infusion of a barbiturate?

An important principle is involved. Lower brain stem regions normally inhibit the activating mechanisms higher up in the midbrain reticular formation. Remove this usual restraint from below, and it will release some of these higher excitatory mechanisms. This release of prior inhibition is called disinhibition.

What could explain an enveloping light?

Acetylcholine nerve cells down in the brain stem normally send volleys of impulses up to influence the visual pathways. The net result of this is that more visual messages now flow through the lateral geniculate nuclei. These moments of enhanced visual transmission occur especially during that transition period between slow-wave sleep and desynchronized sleep. An extra surge of visual excitation could be perceived as light as it goes on next to relay through the superior colliculus, the zona incerta, and the pulvinar of the thalamus. Normally, it will also be within such higher-order projections that we start to develop a subliminal awareness of the space all around us. The experience of an enveloping light could arise when additional impulses, signaling "light," spread throughout this normally subliminal "sense of place."
I do not know if any AFer has noted light as part of their change.

What could cause sudden feelings of relaxation, euphoria, and profound satisfaction?

Humans report similar "positive" feelings during electrical stimulation of the frontal lobe, temporal lobe, and brain stem. Positive feelings might arise when impulses spread into these regions, and into their many connections elsewhere.

Without getting too technical, research has gone further since austin's publication in that a depressed person (unresponsive to chemical and psycho-behavioural treatment) may have a pace maker inserted into the brain to the alleviation of their depression.

Does desynchronized sleep really resemble waking?

Yes. D-sleep and waking are each physiologically active brain states. They employ many of the same acetylcholine pathways which ascend from the brain stem to activate functions at successively higher subcortical and cortical levels. On the other hand, norepinephrine and serotonin functions drop during D-sleep.
Interesting that some actualists compare their practice to a dream-state (see Jason L's thread Everything Becomes Dream Like)

[Slight Deviation from Brain Stem] Here is Austin (on the same MITPress page presenting sleep and meditation effects:
What are some of the steps through which meditative training could facilitate the entry into states of absorption and kensho?

Meditation changes the rhythms of our two natural, cyclic trends toward desynchronization. Waking is only one of these major states. The other state is desynchronized sleep (D-sleep, also known as REM sleep). Repeated meditation shifts the usual entry times of these two activated states. It also changes their momentum. And while our major physiologic al trend is to wake up once a day, we also have a lesser tendency to become more awake every 90 minutes or so. Rigorous meditative retreats will change a person's sleep-waking habits, destabilize each of these biorhythms, and open up consciousness to new options.

How could stressful circumstances affect the brain in ways that precipitate alternate states?

Stressful events prompt the brain to release many of its primary and secondary messenger molecules. In particular, stressful events prompt peptide nerve cells within the hypothalamus to send pulses of their corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF), ACTH, and beta-endorphin widely throughout the diencephalon and brain stem.
I think stephanie cites headaches and some anxiety just before her experience of actual freedom.

here are her journal notes from 9/19/10 just prior to her claiming actual freedom excerpted from the thread SW's Path to Actual Freedom:
"yesterday while driving back i had an interesting experience. i did not think that i was in a pce, i thought i was on the cusp between an ee and a pce, but suddenly i had a very severe headache and i could feel the brain trying to think simple thoughts as brains do, like just trying to cycle through the days events, remembering, etc., but i found that the more the brain moved towards memory and that kind of thinking, the more the heachache intensified...i almost wrote here, "if i released the thoughts, the headache subsided," but this is a strange thing to say bc there was no "i" releasing the thoughts, it was like the thoughts just became very distant, like a half-remembered dream echoing somewhere in a far corner of the mind, until there was nothing at all, no brain chatter, and no attempt on the brain's part to reproduce the day's previous events. so then i was just driving. then i spoke to aaron on the phone, and i noticed a strange thing, which was that unless i was actually talking myself, there was nothing going on in the brain

I was in the car driving to pick up my daughter from school. My usual mode of being was quite felicitous, a far above normal expectations amazing experience of being alive, and without cause or reason, a feeling of anxiety arose.

Lots more citations on the thalamus on the Austin excerpt:
What causes fine-grained visual perception during sudden quickenings?

The phenomena may reflect the way the cortex develops fast desynchronized activity in response to complex shifts at subcortical levels. For example, the intralaminar nuclei of the thalamus may recruit cortical dendrites more effectively when the functions of other thalamic nuclei are reduced. Similar perceptual changes sometimes occur shortly after LSD is given intravenously.
, modified 12 Years ago at 7/4/11 12:18 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/4/11 12:18 PM

This thread is traveling up from the brain stem, and into the hippocampus for a moment.

Why? As the yearning for peace/peace of mind exists, there are natural mechanics in the human body of which to take advantage in conjunction with anatta/af/[?] practices/foci. There are also natural processes that can cause one to think, "this is me - anxious/depressed/testosterone slave/bliss junky/[etc]"

Using human body assets helped me with counter-elements in thinking and self (such as, contempt- or boredom- or distraught-feeling added superfluously to a process thought (i.e., how to do xyz).

Starting: what is "stress"? Maybe the most well-known stress pathway is the HPA Axis.

In the brain, it is thought that a normal short-term stress (any fight-or-flight trigger like dodging a car accident) causes:
[indent]1. a release of corticosteriod hormone from hypothalamus to the the anterior pituitary, then
2. the anterior pituitary release of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) which makes the adrenal glands (which are atop of the kidneys) produce cortisol, and
3. cortisol is a glucocorticoid hormone; it is also a major stress hormone.
4. this glucocorticoid now acts back on the hypothalamus and pituitary - inhibiting them and stopping the production of the ACTH.

However,
5. To be in a chronic state of fear/anxiety (chronic stress) keeps this loop in action: HPA dysregulation.
6. When glucocorticoids keep hitting the brain, the hippocampus (associated with memory, spatial awareness, navigation (animals)) - which has a lot of receptors for glucocorticoids and therefore more affected by this barrage than other parts of the brain - is shown over time to lose volume and or degenerate
7. Aliments like Parkinson's, major depression, Alzheimer's, Cushings, schizophrenia and post-traumatic stress disorder are associated with atrophy of the hippocampus[/indent]

There are people who reverse even the most progressive in the above item 7 (e.g., a Australian ND who reversed his parkinsonism (disclosure: I contacted him once about a family member with PD). He sites routine meditation as a tool in his health).

HPA Axis dysregulation is not absolutely causal to hippocampal atrophy; there is frequent documented association.

In addition to whatever meditative practice you have, there is the human body's evolution for exercise. John Medina (brain rules book) notes humans typically moved 12 miles per day(start at 1:26). I use a minimum 20-minute rule: 10 minutes warm-up in the activity, 10 minutes of 30 seconds intense and 30 seconds recover pace in that activity (i.e., bike riding) - whatever to get to something before the incoming-earning part of the day.

Here is a short video (again, related to PD due to familial reasons) * about the benefits of exercise.

Please correct or add-to as you'd like. I will add further. Probably next about women, brains and the luteal phase, since a mature female spends about 15 years in this phase (say from age 14-45 yo), and it is associated with changes/reductions in the immune-system. These changes can be deemed one's self-hood, when the changes are but biology and can be mitigated.

and here is a video about hippocampal atrophy in chimpanzees used in medical research... to raise awareness about the similarities in mammals including humans with regards to stress and, consequently, how animals are used, treated, and/or affected today...and reiterate the HPA axis dysregulation.
This Good Self, modified 12 Years ago at 7/7/11 2:35 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/4/11 7:52 PM

I'll add in a few tidbits!

Richard's description always reminded me of this:

"That rupture is felt physically, as a crack in the base of the skull [brainstem] or as the sound of a bell. From that starting point, it becomes a matter of how much power has been accumulated". - from Armando Torres' Encounters with the Nagual.