PRACTICE THREAD: ("start your own practice thread")

, modified 13 Years ago at 10/17/10 12:49 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/16/10 12:37 PM

PRACTICE THREAD: ("start your own practice thread")

HI All -

From tarin's thread "can't hit a pce? can't hit an ee? go hit a jhana instead 10/14/10 7:40 PM"
start your own practice thread stating what you would like to learn or accomplish

Derived from side discussion with someone from the forum, here is a proposal to support practice, yet not shun other AF queries (i.e., 'conceptual'):

-- a thread nomenclature for each person's personal practice thread, i.e., my thread title would be -
[indent]PRACTICE THREAD: k a steger[/indent]

-- which would establish that thread is entirely for the purpose of that individuals practice;

-- which could allow the practitioner to ask any poster to not comment and/or remove any unwelcome posts;

-- which breach of respect and courtesy could result in a moderator ban to imposter.

Whilst I am both comfortable in sensate and intellectualness*, I respect that the two may interfere with each other. Practice threads should be about the person's practice, for them and for any welcome teachers and peers.

----

What do you think?

___

[Edit: that is my first written use of 'whilst' I think. Fun!]

• thumbnail
    Steph S, modified 13 Years ago at 10/16/10 4:45 PM
    Created 13 Years ago at 10/16/10 4:45 PM

RE: PRACTICE THREAD: ("start your own practice thread")

Hi Katy

A ways back I started a thread, titled Actualism Practice Notes similar to the type you're proposing. Here's the link to it.

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/892364

Difference being that it's not individualized, but for everyone to put their notes in one thread and give each other feedback as posts come up. Obviously feel free to use that thread if you think it would be helpful. Or if you think it'd be more helpful for each person to have their own thread, that might work too. Not sure how many people there are practicing actualism on this board currently, so the thread I started has the potential to get very long and side tracked if there are quite a lot of members posting on it.

What do you think?

Steph
    , modified 13 Years ago at 10/16/10 8:54 PM
    Created 13 Years ago at 10/16/10 8:53 PM

RE: PRACTICE THREAD: ("start your own practice thread")

HI Steph -

I like the thread you started. It's an excellent experiential thread. I will put some of my experiences in there.

I raised the idea of a "PRACTICE THREAD: ___(moniker)___ " in response to

1 --- Tarin's suggestion in his thread as excerpted above;

2 --- someone expressing that AF practice threads are being diluted/distracted by non-practitioners/analysis; and

3 --- that practitioner threads are being knocked off the main page by new threads (of non practitioners, intellectualisers)

I don't think that #3 is a very real risk: so long as people continue to find a particular thread useful that thread will exist on the main page.

But I do think some identifier to the thread could be useful to practitioners who do not want non-practitioners and/or AF dialectics in their practice thread.

That's all.

Thanks for your reply. I am going to jump into your thread soon!emoticon

Breadcrumb