Three questions about divisive speech

Conor O'Higgins, modified 5 Years ago at 1/22/19 3:41 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 1/22/19 3:41 PM

Three questions about divisive speech

Hi gang. I've been fascinated by the idea of divisive speech lately, largely because I think our modern media environment is spreading it. Speaking divisively is a great way to get clicks/likes/retweets, so it's increasingly dominant as social media, and websites driven by ad revenue take over our memesphere. I wonder wht the Buddha can say to get us out of this mess.

What's the Pali term translated as 'divisive speech'? (This answer is harder to find than it should be.)

It's said the antidote to divisive speech is speech that creates harmony. But does the Buddha give an antidote when others use divisive speech? How do you engage with them and coax them to speak more constructively?

What discourses/sutras deal with divisive speech? I know To Cunda the Silversmith does, and the Magga-vibhanga Sutta does a bit. Anything else?

Thanks.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 5 Years ago at 1/22/19 3:50 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 1/22/19 3:50 PM

RE: Three questions about divisive speech

JMHO, but wouldn't any commentary on "right speech" be appropriate?
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 5 Years ago at 1/22/19 4:12 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 1/22/19 4:12 PM

RE: Three questions about divisive speech

Conor O'Higgins:
Hi gang. I've been fascinated by the idea of divisive speech lately, largely because I think our modern media environment is spreading it. Speaking divisively is a great way to get clicks/likes/retweets, so it's increasingly dominant as social media, and websites driven by ad revenue take over our memesphere. I wonder wht the Buddha can say to get us out of this mess.

What's the Pali term translated as 'divisive speech'? (This answer is harder to find than it should be.)

It's said the antidote to divisive speech is speech that creates harmony. But does the Buddha give an antidote when others use divisive speech? How do you engage with them and coax them to speak more constructively?

What discourses/sutras deal with divisive speech? I know To Cunda the Silversmith does, and the Magga-vibhanga Sutta does a bit. Anything else?

Thanks.

1 - Musavada veramani 
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sila/pancasila.html

2 - the buddha used a variety of tactics to deal with people who had different types of stupid things to say. these included debate, insult, ignoring, siccing vajrapani on them, storytelling & more.  I don't know off hand if there is a sutta that outlines an antidote to divisive speech in others, but certianly there is advice in the pali canon to avoid such people... that is probably the most common advice for this

3 - ask at suttacentral.net ... i generally find my pali canon questions answered there within 30 minutes. a lot of great pali readers on there.

Breadcrumb