Question re: fruitions

John F, modified 13 Years ago at 10/29/10 11:12 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/29/10 11:12 PM

Question re: fruitions

With all of the research being performed vis-a-vis the connection between the effects/results of meditation and scientific research of the brain/mind, I am curious to know whether anyone has monitored and reported on what occurs in the human mind/body during a fruition - e.g. EEGs, and other assessments of brainwave activity during the event?

Thanks in advance for any information provided.
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 13 Years ago at 10/30/10 1:39 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/30/10 1:39 AM

RE: Question re: fruitions

How might one be able to determine just when these might occur in order to "hook up" so to speak, considering these attainments are usually ONE TIME EVENTS? They occur once, and then there's only the memory of them. Poof! They happen, and then they're gone.

To what point might this be accomplished? To see what brain patterns occurred during the fruition? What, of importance, would that yield?
Ona Kiser, modified 13 Years ago at 10/30/10 5:43 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/30/10 5:43 AM

If there's some science out there it might be interesting to see...

Anyone seen this article that suggests:

"The innermost level of consciousness is the fundamental innate mind of clear light, which is identified as the
eighth in a series of increasingly subtle experiences that occur frequently but unconsciously in ordinary life. These deeper levels of mind manifest during the process of dying, going to sleep, ending a dream, fainting, sneezing, and orgasm ..."

http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-JOCP/jc88033.htm

Thoughts? Has anyone done scientific measurements of brain activity during those events? Are they comparable to each other using that measure? Are they comparable to fruition?
John F, modified 13 Years ago at 10/30/10 7:47 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/30/10 7:47 AM

Ian And:
How might one be able to determine just when these might occur in order to "hook up" so to speak, considering these attainments are usually ONE TIME EVENTS? They occur once, and then there's only the memory of them. Poof! They happen, and then they're gone. quote]

That's contrary to what several arahants I have talked with tell me. They claim to be able to experience fruitions at will, though they do agree that there's only the memory that they occured - nothing about what is happening duringthe event itself.

The point, in my case would be to obtain information regarding a subject that I'm curious about... I thought we were all supposed to investigate phenomena, n'est pas?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 13 Years ago at 10/30/10 10:21 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/30/10 10:14 AM

Ian And:
How might one be able to determine just when these might occur in order to "hook up" so to speak, considering these attainments are usually ONE TIME EVENTS? They occur once, and then there's only the memory of them. Poof! They happen, and then they're gone.

Hi Ian,

This isn't so. I can call up a fruition/cessation moment whenever I want or wait for the end of a cycle from the the 11th nana then a frution occurs and then back down to the 4th nana and up again and repeat. Calling up a frution independant of a cycle became easier to do after 2nd path though. I think you are associating the path moments with the one time events. They are one time events that shift a yogi to the next path in the 4 path model of awakening. They only happen once. I like to call them "special fruitions" as they always stand out compared to the normal every day ones that occur at the end of an insight cycle. They result in significant permanent perception shifts and ways of experiencing reality. And when I talk of them as experiences, i am talking about the entrance and exit of the cessation of all the senses, not the cessation moment itself, as that is a non-experience. No memory of it.

Kind regards,

Nick
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 10/31/10 1:18 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/31/10 1:18 AM

It is also possible to get a Fruition and in its afterglow just re-incline to a Fruition and get one again and sometimes again and again and again without going back down to 4th, also possible in the afterglow of NS, also possible in the branching-off place post 8th jhana, whatever that is, also possible post pure-lands, also possible in daily life when one hasn't even been formally meditating, and there are other access points beyond these. I can often get them on the drive home from work if the mind happens to incline that way and at other times, even at work sometimes. I often get them before going to sleep and fall asleep in their afterglow.
thumbnail
Eric G, modified 13 Years ago at 2/9/11 8:18 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/9/11 8:18 AM

Definitely seems worth studying. I think most researchers may not be aware that such a thing happens, or that it could be called up at will.

There have been similar things done. It reminds me of a pilot study that the Mind and Life Institute did with Leigh Brasington, monitoring his EEG in jhanas.

Breadcrumb