enlightenment + drugs

thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 11/16/10 4:48 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/16/10 4:48 PM

enlightenment + drugs

Heh I was having this conversation with someone. For you path attainers.. have you tried any psychoactive substances since reaching your path(s)? If so, why? And how was it different / the same as before? I would think it would.. not be as exciting I suppose, but maybe just passively "interesting"? I also see why there'd be no desire to do them at least upon becoming an Arahat.
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 13 Years ago at 11/17/10 12:41 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/17/10 12:41 PM

RE: enlightenment + drugs

I have tried weed on a number of occasions.

Before I got my first depression/dark night, it made me uneasy, and made it harder to think.

During my first dark night, it turned my head into an explosive nightmare of inner chatter which prevented me from being able to process what was happening around me. Also, since this dark night smoking 1/3 of a joint of weed can be as powerful as an LSD trip, but in a shorter-lasting, more unclean perception sort of way. Since even weed is this powerful, I never risked taking anything stronger.

Then I had some sporadic use, every time tripping really strong and often really bad. During A&P it was OK.

My last experiment caused me a massive massive headache which lasted for a week, and I have decided to quit until I get arhatship or so.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 12/6/10 7:52 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/6/10 7:52 PM

I smoked right after I got Stream Entry (by accident, as I didn't know I had, yet). Was a fun session... I think the effects of the weed were pretty much obliterated by my post-SE mind, as I hardly noticed it. Or maybe the weed helped me realize I was there.. I don't know. Haven't tried smoking after that, yet, maybe I will at some point, will let everyone know what the difference is.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 13 Years ago at 12/8/10 2:56 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/8/10 2:56 PM

Agreement here on that one having been quite the psychonaut in the past. There's a definite difference in tolerance and/or the prominence of the drug, and it seems that it's possible to choose to totally ignore the effect of a drug or to sink into the experience complete. Have you noticed that at all?

I explored a few different things, which I'll refrain from discussing here, and noticed that the ability to move in or out of the altered states is quite consistent. The physical effects of certain things (e.g. bruxism) are still apparent but appear to be controllable and the ability to focus and direct visualisations has been dramatically increased. Just my two cents worth....

It's not an area I'm involved with at present but it's a fascinating subject which I'd rather discuss privately as I know that the DhO prefer a cleaner approach to altering consciousness and I respect that.

Breadcrumb