Some noting Qs and my first session.

Andrew M, modified 13 Years ago at 11/19/10 12:00 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/18/10 11:20 PM

Some noting Qs and my first session.

I read the Practical Guide to Insight book in the wiki and tonight I did my first insight session. As suggested I started with the breath to calm the mind and then added whatever came up. I had no idea my face/ears would be so itchy. That has not happened to me in concentration meditation.

After about 10 minutes I felt myself going deeper and I started to get some imagery. This went on for a little while. To my surprise I eventually even got a little bit of fear/anxiety pangs towards the end of the session. Also, towards the end I had several minutes of a very distinct spinning sensation....exactly like spinning in an office chair counterclockwise. If I hadn't known I was sitting I would have sworn I was spinning.

The feeling afterwards is completely different than concentration meditation. I stayed seated for about 20 minutes just enjoying the buzz. In fact, the front part of my brain stayed buzzing/humming for the better part of an hour.

Questions
#1- Does all ^^^that stuff sound about right?

#2- Towards the end even though I continued noting it was as if I could barely hear my own "voice". I wasn't sure if I was just going deeper into the meditative state or losing focus.

#3- What is the exact reasoning for using noting? What exactly does it do?

I get that it's purpose is make you ever more conscious of things you are currently not aware of...oh wait, I might have answered my own question here. emoticon