Jesse Cooper Levy, modified 12 Years ago at 4/20/12 8:01 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/20/12 8:01 AM

RE: New York City

Hollerin! Hollerin!
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 12 Years ago at 4/20/12 2:39 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/20/12 2:39 PM

i'll hollah at manhattan even though i don't live there. it's a lovely place and i kinda miss it.

west coast to east coast and ya don't stop!
thumbnail
Jake , modified 12 Years ago at 4/21/12 8:25 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/21/12 8:25 AM

I'll Holla at NYC, chillin in Brooklyn for the weekend
Jesse Cooper Levy, modified 12 Years ago at 4/27/12 9:02 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/27/12 9:02 PM

aw,

@Steph i thought you were here for a second. Just wanted to tell you that I'm really inspired by your practice. Dharma fan!

Yeah, okay, maybe not where this belongs but like, do any groups from this Hamilton Movement (I'm thinking Dho, Hamilton Project, Kenneth Folk Dharma) ever have public meetings, or little retreats or anything public and awesome.

If so, yay!

If no, has the idea been posed and rejected, and this so doesn't belong here. Maybe I'm writing it here because it's a tiny thread and I'm scared of bringing this up. but also... Would love to know of anything in NJ, NYC, Philly, Mass...
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 12 Years ago at 4/28/12 1:34 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/27/12 9:19 PM

Jesse Cooper Levy:
aw,

@Steph i thought you were here for a second. Just wanted to tell you that I'm really inspired by your practice. Dharma fan!

Yeah, okay, maybe not where this belongs but like, do any groups from this Hamilton Movement (I'm thinking Dho, Hamilton Project, Kenneth Folk Dharma) ever have public meetings, or little retreats or anything public and awesome.

If so, yay!

If no, has the idea been posed and rejected, and this so doesn't belong here. Maybe I'm writing it here because it's a tiny thread and I'm scared of bringing this up. but also... Would love to know of anything in NJ, NYC, Philly, Mass...

Check this thread at KFD for updates. Contact Abbie14 or send Owen Becker an email for updates on any NY meetings. You could also consider attending the meetings Judson Brewer of Yale University has of those interested in meditation in New Haven.
Jesse Cooper Levy, modified 12 Years ago at 4/27/12 9:35 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/27/12 9:35 PM

@Nickolas,

Appreciate the help. Can't seem to open that first thread tho.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 12 Years ago at 4/28/12 1:35 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/28/12 1:35 AM

Jesse Cooper Levy, modified 11 Years ago at 1/2/13 8:10 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/2/13 8:10 PM

Practitioners seeking roommate in Ridgewood, queens.

I feel strange posting this here, but honestly we have people that could move in, we would just like someone who would be interested in practicing with us and/or discussing practice. If this would interest any of you, please let me know. And if you any one who might be interested, feel free to share this. Thank you.

1 bedroom for February sublet, $650. Nice apartment in safe area.

About our practice:

I currently practice anapana and noting, while my apartment mate sits zazen. I also study some of the meditative kabbalah, and view contemplation and dialogue, in buddhist or kabbalistic jargon, as part of a practice. We try to sit together an hour daily in half hour sets, sometimes more, sometimes less, never forced. We are also having our first retreat this month, and are excited about creating an atmosphere conducive to practice.
In some ways we also view mindfulness and open-mindedness as part of our practice, so we are generally interested in creating an environment that is creative, supportive, and inspiring.

Thank you all,
j
Jesse Cooper Levy, modified 11 Years ago at 2/7/13 8:19 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/7/13 8:19 AM

Hello Again, New York City

A setback arose in my apartment's search for a roommate, so I'd like to state that we are looking for a sub-letter to join us in mid-February or March 1st.

Are current practice are ...
-Zazen & Anapana (since these are silent, we can do them opposite each other)
-Noting, and Social Noting, which my roommate does not do, but some guests do, most often in my room.
-We are also learning some Bach Choral arrangements, as we are both musicians and music fits somewhere into our view of practice.
-I also study Aryeh Kaplan's work, but that isn't culminating in a practice anytime soon.

Our collaborations are much more inspired than enforced. To my knowledge none of our roommates that practice less have ever had a conflict, and it's never been an issue when my practice was shotty, but the support has been their when I've wanted it.

Please feel free to write with any questions.

[Lastly, I've made a friend or two through posting this last time, so feel free to say hi!]

Thank youzall!
thumbnail
Andrew B, modified 11 Years ago at 2/7/13 12:13 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 2/7/13 12:13 PM

Long Island reporting in!
thumbnail
Chris G, modified 10 Years ago at 7/27/13 9:49 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 7/27/13 9:49 AM

Yo and wassup! from New Haven!
Jesse Cooper Levy, modified 10 Years ago at 9/14/13 6:22 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/14/13 6:22 PM

Hey New Yawk!

I'd be super stoked to meet any localites. I have a Dharma group with a couple Dharma Overground users, and some dharma underground goers, and we love meeting all the motivated practitioners we can.

Holla holla!
Jesse Cooper Levy, modified 9 Years ago at 9/13/14 9:49 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/13/14 9:49 AM

Hi Gang,

The abovementioned sublet is still available, 4-6 months.  $605 in Ridgewood.  We are looking for someone who shares our interest in practice and mindfulness.  
Please message me with any questions.

Also always into meetings local practitioners!

hmu!  201-458-4339
thumbnail
Andrew B, modified 9 Years ago at 11/6/14 2:21 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/6/14 2:21 PM

Hi Jesse,

Though my current financial situation is not one in which it's likely I'll be able to rent a place anytime soon, I am interested in meeting local hardcore practitioners. There's really no scene in my area, so my practice tends to be very isolated. It is good to know that there are local people with similar interests and dedication to serious practice!
Pål, modified 9 Years ago at 11/7/14 11:53 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 11/7/14 11:53 AM

I'm not sure if it belongs here but: 
I'm going to NYC early this spring with my family, is there anything dharma related I could do without my family getting all suspicious? 
last time we were there I went to a small temple in china town to maybe get some meditation advice but they could barely speak english.