What dreams may come.

Thor Jackson, modified 13 Years ago at 12/3/10 2:59 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/2/10 10:28 PM

What dreams may come.

4.am

It never fails to amaze me how clever and humorous are subconscious can be when translating are experiences into pictorial form for are dreams. Over the last couple of days, prompted by a thread here, I've been checking out Shinzen Young, In some of his talks he was talking about how he realised that most of the fundamentals of most religions are all similar in as much as they can all bring us to an awakened state. eg. The Triple Gem vs the Trinity. Another part of one of his talks was about how he felt we can achieve a mindfull state through noting the gaps of silence in certain music. Anyway, I've just arose from a dream in which I was walking through my home town in what can only be described as a Bee Gees convention. Every person I saw was a close, visual approximation to one of the three singers. Not only that, but the few I approached to say hello to, would reply by singing a few words, " I've got to get a message to you...."
thumbnail
Mike Kich, modified 13 Years ago at 12/25/10 7:08 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/25/10 7:08 PM

RE: What dreams may come.

That movie could've been so excellent and was soooo promising until it slid into the she's-a-suicide-so-be-damned-to-hell garbage. I was also a little annoyed though about how the entirety of their lives in the beginning, i.e. before the deaths of their children, was just skimmed over, like "and now the loving couple meets, next on the to-do list is romance, then of course marriage and years of fruitful togetherness and then children, and what's next on our to-do list...", all in 10-15 minutes. Real life is impossibly deeper than that kind of slapped-together preachy morality-tale business. More and more Christianity strikes me as possessing some deep truths tragically submerged in so much dreck. Great cover art though. Anyways, that's my rant.

The dream consciousness is indeed pretty strange. I just listened to a Buddhist Geeks podcast on lucid dreaming and dream yoga, and later today when I took a nap I almost did so right after meditating. It's strange because the dream environment is basically your waking mental environment given "physical" manifestation, and the mental environment can transition between almost heavenly to almost hellish in almost an instant depending on how stable your attention/concentration is. It'd require more work but it's definitely an interesting area to explore.
Daniel F Gurzynski, modified 13 Years ago at 12/26/10 10:13 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/26/10 10:13 PM

Yes, the movie was a bit thin but you should hunt down and read the book. Richard Matheson is an excellent writer and as with Steven King, only a small amount of his ideas make it to the screen.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 13 Years ago at 12/27/10 7:47 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/27/10 7:47 AM

Ha! That's brilliant!

It's well worth keeping a diary of your dreams if you don't already do so, even just fragments recalled upon awakening as there's a wealth of information to be found there.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 12/27/10 9:24 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/27/10 9:24 AM

Tommy M:
Ha! That's brilliant!

It's well worth keeping a diary of your dreams if you don't already do so, even just fragments recalled upon awakening as there's a wealth of information to be found there.

I think it is interesting. Then I heard one person say that it's mentally damaging to do so... unsure why. he said something about it taking tons of mental effort to recall that which your brain is working hard to forget. i don't see why that's bad necessarily, though.

other argument is that it's happening subconsciously for a reason, just forget about it =).

however, i think it is awesome to remember dreams. that can also lead to lucid dreaming which is even more awesome! as to the dream diary, if you do it consistently upon awakening, you will soon find that you remember more and more each time.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 13 Years ago at 12/27/10 10:38 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/27/10 10:38 AM

Mentally damaging?! Ha! I'd love to hear the justification for that one, that's utter tripe. Keeping a diary of dreams makes recall much easier after only a few days of doing so and it's not like you need to work really hard to remember the entire dream anyway. You start my writing down fragments of what you can remember and then leave it, come back to it later and you'll find that those few words, phrases or whatever will trigger more memories of the dream. Excessive effort to recall a dream has the same effect as trying to remember someone's name when we forget it; It makes it harder but it's certainly not dangerous or damaging.

Whoever says that we should disregard what goes on subconsciously is full of shit. Where did you read that? Wherever it was I'd be cagey about accepting anything they claim as truth as this is downright ballocks.

Breadcrumb