4th jhana

Thor Jackson, modified 13 Years ago at 12/4/10 4:33 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/4/10 4:33 AM

4th jhana

A question for advanced jhana practitioners. Can you instantly enter 4th jhana? Do you spend most of your time in 4th jhana? What is the qualitative difference between 4th jhana with your eyes closed and 4th jhana with yours eyes open? Do you walk about and interact with people on a day to day bases exterior to the body? Do you play poker ?
This Good Self, modified 13 Years ago at 12/4/10 9:37 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/4/10 9:37 PM

RE: 4th jhana

You want to make money playing poker huh? Why not just come out and say it?

People in here don't seem all that interested in powers, not sure why....so I'll have a shot at answering. Maybe the fourth jhana can be used to re-structure some deep mental impressions about money, faith, providence, ease, allowance ... those sort of things. But I'm pretty sure you can't live (or play poker) in any jhanic state, because of the concentration required to maintain them. You'd do it before playing I guess.

At the table, I know a lot of the top guys are meditating in their own way, even though they wouldn't necessarily call it that. They may meditate on an opponent's physical features as they watch for 'tells' such as the pulse rate in their neck, the amount of facial sweat, pupil dilatation etc. They may meditate on sitting completely still, so as to remove any thoughts of 'good' or 'bad', attempting to keep their vibe unreadable to their opponents. Certainly a very mental game requiring huge and prolonged levels of concentration. Perhaps read up on some of the interviews with Joe Hachem.
Thor Jackson, modified 13 Years ago at 12/5/10 4:10 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/5/10 4:10 AM

I appreciate your answer, however the poker bit tagged on the end was my attempt at humour.
thumbnail
Megan Key, modified 9 Years ago at 8/3/14 3:47 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/3/14 3:47 PM

Hi, can you tell me where you learned about what mental impressions 4th jhana (or any jhana) is helpful in shifting or healing?  Thanks!