Instant chat

Thor Jackson, modified 13 Years ago at 12/4/10 5:39 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/4/10 5:39 AM

Instant chat

An instant chat facility on this site might be helpful. And perhaps more levity heehee
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 12/5/10 10:35 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/5/10 10:35 PM

RE: Instant chat

There is one: click on the little thing that says online friends bottom right corner of the screen and you can have chats with people that are also logged in.

Daniel
Thor Jackson, modified 13 Years ago at 12/6/10 3:32 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/6/10 3:32 AM

Thankyou Daniel
ManZ A, modified 13 Years ago at 12/17/10 11:53 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/17/10 11:53 PM

Well since this topic is already here. I thought I'd point out that the chat is a little..buggy. I can't see when someone has replied unless I refresh, or the messages get out of order so I don't know what came first. Or sometimes the message doesn't arrive at all. Maybe it's just me. Will this be fixed?
thumbnail
Andrew Young, modified 10 Years ago at 5/4/13 7:55 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 5/4/13 7:55 PM

While I'm here - many thanks for your book and this forum. They are both very nice and good things. :-) (note that I may be deliberately keeping those comments on the down low just a smidgen)

Anyways... The "online friends" thing. Is it just a list of everyone in the forum who is online at that moment, or is it specifically people that I may know?

I ask because one of the names i see right now is of someone I do know, but it could be a coincidence and it is actually someone else.

Alternatively, if it is the person I know... how did the database know that?

I'll just use the chat thing and ask.
thumbnail
rony fedrer, modified 10 Years ago at 5/4/13 9:49 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 5/4/13 9:49 PM

its just the people those who are online
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 5/5/13 8:18 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 5/5/13 8:18 PM

It is totally buggy: I agree.

The problem is that, despite lots of people trying, nobody has managed to upgrade this place from an earlier version of LifeRay (the platform this thing runs on) to a newer version.

Thus, for the moment, we are stuck with this one.

Use it at your peril: switch rapidly to Skype or Gmail Chat or something else, and realize that lots of people who appear to be online may not actually be there at that time, so if you don't hear from them, don't take it personally.

D
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 10 Years ago at 5/6/13 9:05 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 5/6/13 9:05 AM

Daniel M. Ingram:
It is totally buggy: I agree.

The problem is that, despite lots of people trying, nobody has managed to upgrade this place from an earlier version of LifeRay (the platform this thing runs on) to a newer version.

Thus, for the moment, we are stuck with this one.

Use it at your peril: switch rapidly to Skype or Gmail Chat or something else, and realize that lots of people who appear to be online may not actually be there at that time, so if you don't hear from them, don't take it personally.

D

What I found worked well recently is to use Chatzy to create a room, then to share the address with the person I was chatting with. Nice that it doesn't require both people to already have Skype or Gmail or something.