Maybe it’s time I got my coat...

Paul, modified 4 Years ago at 5/6/19 8:21 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/6/19 8:21 AM

Maybe it’s time I got my coat...

I’m at a party, surrounded by very interesting people who I am enjoying learning so much from. So many people with similar interests; so much expertise in one place. There’s a lot of sharing and engaging. Wow.

It’s been a great evening. But then it comes to my attention there’s a person who has had a couple more drinks than everyone else, and they’re circulating around the room, crashing into everyone’s conversations to either tell everyone all about themselves, or correct people, or just do some plain old smothering of others. Once in a while someone very politely says something like, “Maybe you’ve had enough to drink, can I get you an Uber?” But this just sends the person into a downward spiral of over-sensitivity and teary defensiveness. I notice people are starting to glance at their watches and then the door.

I hear there’s another party across town. Maybe it’s time I got my coat...
thumbnail
Raving Rhubarb, modified 4 Years ago at 5/6/19 8:40 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/6/19 8:40 AM

RE: Maybe it’s time I got my coat...

Is this an attempt at Dho-blowup-drama episode XIV?

Wait a moment, I'm getting my popcorn ready emoticon
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 5/9/19 8:28 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/9/19 8:28 AM

Dear Paul,

Like every other crazy time in the long history of the DhO this, too, shall pass.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 4 Years ago at 5/11/19 4:48 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/11/19 4:48 AM

Best advice: ignore the posts, posters, and threads you don't like. It really is that easy. It is not like a drunken room where people crash around that you can't get away from. It is more like having hundreds of channels on your cable TV box, many of which you don't like, like the Mid-Atlantic Wrestling Channel or whatever, but you never have to watch them, and can just watch PBS or something.

Perhaps I should get more annoyed when some threads on the forum get messy, but I often just ignore them and they usually stop within a few days and that's that. True, more aggressive moderation does make for a cleaner forum, and there are days when I feel that more should be done, but part of the strange charm of this place has come from a somewhat looser moderation style, though at times it has also definitely been too lose, which is clearly somewhat my fault.
thumbnail
Milo, modified 4 Years ago at 5/11/19 4:53 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/11/19 4:53 AM

Daniel M. Ingram:
Best advice: ignore the posts, posters, and threads you don't like. It really is that easy. It is not like a drunken room where people crash around that you can't get away from. It is more like having hundreds of channels on your cable TV box, many of which you don't like, like the Mid-Atlantic Wrestling Channel or whatever, but you never have to watch them, and can just watch PBS or something.

Perhaps I should get more annoyed when some threads on the forum get messy, but I often just ignore them and they usually stop within a few days and that's that. True, more aggressive moderation does make for a cleaner forum, and there are days when I feel that more should be done, but part of the strange charm of this place has come from a somewhat looser moderation style, though at times it has also definitely been too lose, which is clearly somewhat my fault.

Honestly, the amount of restraint most people have on these thread is impressive. The exceptions prove the rule.
thumbnail
terry, modified 4 Years ago at 5/15/19 11:48 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/15/19 11:46 AM

Daniel M. Ingram:

aloha dan,

aggressive moderation - sedation - leads to a sedate list...

I haven't seen anyone bounced yet that I would have bounced...

how one could not ignore many threads is beyond me unless you have no other life...

of course, I'm always drunk on my ass but there is a sufi story about drunks - actually there are lots of them, we are all drunk to one degree or another... it seems there was a drunk who passed out in the gutter and a good samaritan passing by recognized him and picked him up, carrying him on his shoulder...the drunk, now being carried, woke up and gazed blearily around...seeing another drunk staggering and falling, he said to him, "if you had a little more self discipline, you could walk freely, upright and alone, like I do..."...

terry
thumbnail
terry, modified 4 Years ago at 5/15/19 12:03 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/15/19 12:03 PM

Daniel M. Ingram:

Perhaps I should get more annoyed 

(this reminds me of one of the cartoons in the new yorker where they invite the reader to supply his own caption...so you sit there and so many possible captions occur to you)

in truth in my life dealing with countless doctors I have found nothing more annoying than their blithe assumption that they can always vent their annoyance on their subordinates...

maybe its time I got my coat...

t

The Secret To a Long Life Is Knowing When Its Time To Go
(michelle shocked)

Billy Barlow was a poor boy
That's why he robbed the Union Grove Bank
He was a sweet talking ladies man
That's what he'd have ladies all to think
Oh, the secret to a long life's knowing when it's time to go
Oh, the secret to a long life's knowing when it's time to go
So when the posse came riding
Billy went hiding down south