Jhana & a brief introduction

kris palau, modified 14 Years ago at 9/15/09 3:19 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/15/09 3:19 PM

Jhana & a brief introduction

Hi All,
I was encouraged to join up after reading the mission statement. If this site can achieve half of that, then it will be a unique place indeed. Much of what I have read here resonates with me. I have managed to get through the form Jhanas and have arrived at some point within the formless ones, but I'm not altogether sure where exactly, as the formless states are for me not as delineated as the form ones.

I currently have no inclination to go all the way into nirodha. I'm not a monk but a middle aged bloke, married with kids.

My background is originally Tibetan Buddhism and I hold HYT empowerments. Having got where I am in Jhana, I now wish to gain experience in Tummo. I once experienced the 'great bliss' mentioned in this system within the dream state, so I know it's true but I have been unable to replicate it ever again.

I am also tired of sectarianism and BS I find on various sites. It upsets me, as it prevents many more people from gaining experience in Jhana. Why people can't help one another and share experience is a mystery to me.

So, that's my very quick intro. Feel free to ask anything.

Namaste
Kris
thumbnail
Dan Bartlett, modified 14 Years ago at 9/15/09 4:49 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/15/09 4:42 PM

RE: Jhana & a brief introduction

Hi kris, welcome to the site. We've just moved over from our old website so some things are still a little un-organised here but it's coming together quickly. If you were interested in some more information on samatha jhanas, here are some great practical guides from the old site:

Jhana and Nana
Deeper in Jhana
The Arupa (immaterial) Jhanas
Simple instructions for attaining concentration jhanas 1 to 8

If you have any more specific jhana-related questions, I hear Trent has just put up an offer to answer all and everything regarding concentration practice! Take a look.

I don't think we have many people here experienced in the Tibetan traditions, but I may be wrong.

P.S. I moved your thread from the "Claims to Attainment" section to the Tibetan section, as this is a question about a particular tradition rather than a claim to attainment.