Concentration Meditation leading to more Tetris Effect

thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 12/17/10 3:29 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/17/10 3:29 PM

Concentration Meditation leading to more Tetris Effect

Has anybody noticed this? The Tetris Effect is when you spend a lot of time focusing on one activity such that your mind becomes obsessed with it. For example, you might dream about it, or see things about it with your eyes closed, etc. This used to happen to me sometimes when I was coding for too long.

Recently, it seems to be happening really often. I just started playing this Scrabble game, haven't even really been into it so much, but when I close my eyes I see scrabble tiles everywhere, rearranging themselves in a grid. When I played Fruit Ninja on the iPhone, I'd see blobs going up in my vision and I'd catch myself imagining how to cut them down. Has anyone else noticed this becoming more prevalent? It's kind of funny, not really important, but an interesting curiosity nonetheless.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 13 Years ago at 12/17/10 4:17 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/17/10 4:17 PM

RE: Concentration Meditation leading to more Tetris Effect

Didn't know it was called that! I've seen this happen with a lot of different activities for me and it's easy to experience it with pretty much anything which you put effort into. I've tested it with magickal models and found that it only took a matter of days working with one to start seeing symbolic representations appear in dreams in particular e.g. while working with chakras I had the recurrent theme of a seven story building which could be explored at will and each floor contained the appropriate symbolism, colours and suchlike. This actually proved very educational and helped integration of the system I was working with so I don't doubt there's worth in exploring this phenomenon.

It's basically a way into the "astral plane" (active imagination, in other words) which can be a lot of fun and provide insights into our own internal processes as it's easier to objectify them and give them a tangible form. I don't know how this fits with Theravada but it's another state to be explored at the very least.
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 13 Years ago at 12/17/10 6:33 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/17/10 6:33 PM

I didn't know it was called that either. Once I got really into watercolors and spent about 12 hours a day doing watercolor paintings for a few days, and then I started walking around and seeing everything in watercolors - the trees, the flowers, the sky, etc. I had the same experience with photography too. Interesting.
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 13 Years ago at 12/17/10 6:52 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/17/10 6:52 PM

I personally get this during A&P. My mind will obsess, usually about work and/or meditation, causing me to do mathematics and meditate while sleeping.
Trent , modified 13 Years ago at 12/18/10 7:39 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/18/10 7:39 AM

Hello,

Beoman Beo Beoman:
Has anybody noticed this?

This one time, 'I' got so obsessed with pure intent that 'I' ceased to 'be' entirely, you guys.

Trent
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 12/18/10 8:12 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/18/10 8:12 AM

Trent H.:
Hello,

Beoman Beo Beoman:
Has anybody noticed this?

This one time, 'I' got so obsessed with pure intent that 'I' ceased to 'be' entirely, you guys.

Trent

woa dude... you got to see a psychologist or something! that isn't normal!! maybe put you on some anti-psychotics so your brain doesn't function so well anymore. it helps calm down these other psychos.
ManZ A, modified 13 Years ago at 12/18/10 6:24 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/18/10 6:23 PM

"I" got so obsessed with AF that "I" had a dream that "I" ceased to "be". The irony of it was rather humorous haha.
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 13 Years ago at 12/19/10 5:50 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/19/10 5:50 AM

Ha ha very very funny indeed :-) I also had dreams of getting enlightened during A&P, usually causing me to wake up to ecstatic shivers in the spine.

Breadcrumb