white light suffusing everything?

thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 12/20/10 11:00 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/20/10 10:59 PM

white light suffusing everything?

After my last sit, I noticed this:

Me, Myself, and I:

i open my eyes, my vision is kind of fuzzy/blurry. i walk to the bathroom, turn on the light. the bathroom is mostly white, but now another really bizarre thing happened. the whiteness from the bathroom seemed to spread all over the place. i thought at first i was staring in one spot too long and the lines were fading, but this was different. it was pretty much like a white light was suffusing the entire place. i could still make out the bathtub and such between the white light, but it was covering it pretty thoroughly. i was baffled. i had no idea what to do, so i tried not focusing and not not-focusing to maintain it. out of curiosity, i closed my eyes, and was met with a pretty harsh, very light red whole-field flickering, which i didn’t prefer to the white light, so i opened them again. it was a little diminished. as i watched, it slowly faded and everything slowly became dim again.

Full report here. Any ideas what this was?
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 1/20/11 12:22 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/20/11 12:22 PM

RE: white light suffusing everything?

hm i still unsure what this was but i suspect it was open-eye formless realms.. or actually since that sit seemed to be classic A&P, maybe just "I SAW THE LIGHT!" hehe
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 2/7/11 11:04 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/7/11 11:04 PM

no it wasnt formless realm. nothing led up to it, was just rather sudden. i think i was just out of it and my eyes unfocused rather quickly =P.
thumbnail
Florian, modified 13 Years ago at 2/8/11 2:51 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/8/11 2:51 AM

Hi Beoman,

I got something resembling this in certain ways, some time last year, mainly at night after waking up. I posted a few comments on Duncan's blog about this.

Some kind of energetic experience, I guess. Third eye overload or out of synch or something emoticon

Or else, a neurological condition - some types of migraine don't manifest as pain but just have the "Aura", i.e. the disturbance of vision and so on. Migraine is quite common, around 10% of the population.

Or a combination of the two. If it worries you, go see a doctor about it.

Cheers,
Florian
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 2/22/11 9:24 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/22/11 9:24 PM

I remember when I was on a retreat doing concentration practice and had been paying attention to the color red on the inside of my eyelids (it was in a pretty dark room, so no external lights here, just phosphenes), and had been building up more and more of the field to red until basically the whole field was just swirling red phosphenes in large, nearly continuous swaths. When I opened my eyes and got up I saw the whole room (what there was to see of it in the near darkness) as red, even with eyes open, and later that next day when doing the same thing this repeated during daylight for maybe 10 minutes after stopping doing that same sort of meditation.

Thus, probably just a rapid jump into some serious white kasina jhana, as can happen during the A&P for some, or can just happen for no particularly good reason.

Daniel

Breadcrumb