Mantras

Kalle Spolander, modified 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 8:51 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 8:51 AM

Mantras

Hey friends!

I’m finally getting serious with my meditation practice and I’m working on concentrating on my breath. I’ve been using a few mantras to help me get back on track. I’ve experimented with counting to ten, doing the 1-2 or in-out but I found that what works best for me is One More because it sets a very low bar so it doesn’t lead to too much striving plus there’s a forward movement. 

Is there a point where I should drop the mantras? Like are they to be seen as support wheels? For example, could I reach higher concentration states while using mantras? 
thumbnail
Brato Ganibe, modified 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 1:44 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 1:44 PM

RE: Mantras

I've been practicing for years and I still use a breath counting technique. Sometimes I change it up depending on how much help I need it. If I'm having trouble concentrating, then I'll count more frequently or along the whole length of the in/out breath (rather than just at the end). If I'm more concentrated I'll note very, very quietly (like a whisper) or almost not at all . Only when I get into more highly concentrated states, like strong 2nd jhana, do I sometimes completely drop the counting.
Kalle Spolander, modified 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 7:26 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 7:26 PM

That is unbelievably helpful to me. Thank you so much for your help! By the way I love your nickname LOL 
thumbnail
Jordi, modified 4 Years ago at 6/29/19 12:46 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/29/19 12:46 AM

Hi, for me in/out mantra and counting feels very robotic, but also works very well.

The "mantra" I use at start of my meditation is "easy/calm" Instead of "in/out".

I like counting too, its a good way to test focus and concentration