Levitation during meditation

thumbnail
Vince, modified 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 9:40 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 9:40 AM

Levitation during meditation

Is it possible to levitate? I recently saw a video that sparked my interest. Do you guys think it could be real? https://youtu.be/9XeAS7OA_1M
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 9:44 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 9:44 AM

RE: Levitation during meditation

To be blunt, that looks like a magic trick to me. I'm pretty sure the floor and the cushion are black for a reason  emoticon

YMMV
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 10:40 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 10:40 AM

Vince:
Is it possible to levitate? I recently saw a video that sparked my interest. Do you guys think it could be real? https://youtu.be/9XeAS7OA_1M

Fake. Play video with 0.25 speed, and high quality! You see that quality of video doesn't change because the original video has very low quality for obvious reason. Notice shadows everywhere. And towards the end of the video, movements of legs and rest of the body are not harmonious. At least two different set of images that are put together. And apparently gravity doesn't work on his pants also!!!!!!!! What these people think really!? It's sad.
thumbnail
Rich Lee, modified 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 11:11 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 11:11 AM

Of course it's possible. I'm starting my own school and charge you 10% of your income as a tithe for as long as it takes you to get it. Are you in?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 11:12 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 11:12 AM

Hahaha, yeah, after looking at it again (not on my phone) it's not even a good fake.
thumbnail
Brato Ganibe, modified 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 11:13 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 11:13 AM

I agree that the video looks doctored, but it's not uncommon for dedicated meditators to experience distortions in proprioception that could lead to the sensation of floating/levitating. I've personally experienced this a few times when there was strong piti in the body and/or heading into the stage of dissolution. I often wonder if experiences like this may have been the source for 'myths' of floating yogis.
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 12:27 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 12:27 PM

Chris Marti:
Hahaha, yeah, after looking at it again (not on my phone) it's not even a good fake.

I am surprised that there isn't even one smart person among these people to create a really high quality fake. Of course there are people who believe these things, so often they don't need to put much energy into the details even if they are smart. Probably some of these fakers are those who didn't have much success with practice, and they have turned towards these things as a desperate reaction.
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 12:36 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/28/19 12:36 PM

Walter_Sobchakeit:
I agree that the video looks doctored, but it's not uncommon for dedicated meditators to experience distortions in proprioception that could lead to the sensation of floating/levitating. I've personally experienced this a few times when there was strong piti in the body and/or heading into the stage of dissolution. I often wonder if experiences like this may have been the source for 'myths' of floating yogis.

Yes. Feeling that you are floating in the air is one thing, and generating a force stronger than gravity to be able to float is another thing, completely different. Many people experience the first one, but these fakers are trying to fool people based on the first one, to make people believe the second one. If there was such a thing as what this guy is trying to sell, it wouldn't be a free video on youtube, it would be a top secret thing in N,S.A or N.A,S.A (let's think optimistically!!!) or a similar place.
thumbnail
Rich Lee, modified 4 Years ago at 6/29/19 3:54 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/29/19 3:54 AM

In standing QiGong practises, when well-connected to the Earth it's possible to be 'bounced' off the ground.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 4 Years ago at 6/29/19 6:28 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/29/19 5:41 AM

Yeah, the green screen edge artifacts are clearly visible on the sides of his sweat pants when he first walks into the frame. Seriously amateur work.

Still, it is possible to travel out of body off the cushion (though not easy to do, obviously), which, at least to the person doing it, really does feel and look like flying, as your "astral" (or whatever you want to call it) body still strangely feels like your body, at least to you, and so that's cool, anyway.
thumbnail
Jordi, modified 4 Years ago at 6/29/19 7:50 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 6/29/19 7:43 AM

Hmm I have a friend that have powers. He can see past of people and also tell future events with high precission. He also do reiki and chamanic stuff on his very own way.

I was living with him for a few months and He practiced on me and I had some mindblowing experiencies total Carlos Castaneda stuff but without drugs.

He can also see ghost and contact to entitys etc. When he was a kid he almost die with random accidents a few times.

He is well know where he lives and a lot of ppl go to ask advice and future telling. He is quite humble and compasionate. He really enjoy helping people without expecting nothing in return.

The thing is, one day talking, he doesnt know if is true or what but that is what happened:

He was with his friends having a night party on a beach, he was arround 16-17 years old. At some point he decided to do his daily meditation so he excuses and went a little far from the party area.

He was meditating near the sea, the weaves of water was touching him, he liked so he start to meditate. He has really strong concentration skills, like a gift that he has born with it. So he get quite absorbed in his trance as usually he did.

When he finished he went back to his friends. They saw very paranoic and terrifired. He approach them but they refuse him to aprroach. They quit the party and everyone was going home. Only one friend remaind. And told him that after he went to meditate after 30 min. All the friends decided to gonna see you and make some fun of him. When they arrived where he was meditating he was levitating from the floor. So ppl went crazy and start to fear.

After that he almost lose all his friends and ppl start to avoid him looking him as a monster or something.

He didnt know if he was really levitating or what the fuck happen,
Z , modified 4 Years ago at 7/4/19 11:58 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/4/19 11:53 AM

I was recently listening to a long Thanissaro Bhikku talk about the life of Ajahn Lee, who was well-known in Thailand for having psychic powers. The story he told was that Ajahn Lee wasn't able to levitate his own body but was able to levitate the bodies of others, which he would mischieveously do from time-to-time during sits. He would go out into the woods with a few people, sit in a circle, and one-by-one levitate each one as they sat, though the person recounting the story (Ajahn Fuang IIRC) mentioned that he was able to resist being levitated by grounding his energy through the root of the spine deeply into the earth. 

In another instance, a group watched as Ajahn Lee levitated a local boy who was with them in the forest. They had given him a rope tied to a tall branch to hang onto if he got too spooked by what was happening.

Not sure if this sort of behavior would be considered best practices for monastics but an interesting story regardless!

The talk I'm referencing is a three-part talk Thanissaro gave titled "The Thai Forest Masters" if you want to seek it out for yourself. 

Breadcrumb