in dhyana or vipassana jana or just plain nothing?

jayabodhi joshi, modified 13 Years ago at 12/31/10 4:58 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/31/10 4:58 AM

in dhyana or vipassana jana or just plain nothing?

Hello

i have a a few questions which i hope relate to to this topic. i will say a bit about myself so as to add a context. I have practising as a buddhist for 12 years doing metta and mindfulness practices and paying careful attention to leading an ethicla life via the precepts and spiritual friendship. I practice daily and meditate for 1 hour each day with additional sits with sangha in the week. i go on retreat twice a year for 2 weeks and am married and have a full time job.
i have practised in this way fairty happily until i came across the " mastering the core teachings book...."
the first thing i tried was noting and have found after one month of doing it that i hit acess concentation or dhyana quickly. I know it is maily 1st as it need effort to keep it going. however the effort comes from noting which then transforms into sweeping the body and becoming aware of the changing sensations. it is not the same as the dhyana i get into from mindfulness at all. i would that is somehting i cling to whereas this former is edgy but od course that changes as i note the feeling ands voiltions as they come and go. I was wondering if ths is the first vipassana jana rather than the 1st dhyana.? I also noticed that whe i stop noting the dhyana doesn'ty wither but changes. the description of crude mental impression of changing sensation has been noticed as well. i also find that if i note while i am lying down before and after sleep i get concentrated in a similar way.
(sorry to keeping writing the word "note"- looks like it has got to me!!!)- the other thing to mention is the assumed vipassana jana is easier to let go of. i have my life to lead but i don't feel jarred when i let go of it and resume activity as i have done with other dhyanic states
Do i keep investigating and would this lead onto the other vipassana janas in time( assuming of course i am right in my former assertions!)
my last question relates to metta, what is the relationship between this and metta as i now get concentrated and do the metta practice while still noting!
thank you
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 13 Years ago at 12/31/10 9:42 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/31/10 9:42 AM

RE: in dhyana or vipassana jana or just plain nothing?

Hiya Sanjiv,

Access concentration is different from dhyana, I know because I made the mistake of confusing access concentration with the first samatha jhana which set me back a bit. Given that you've been practicing for so long you'll likely have "access concentration" with little or no effort but are probably making the same mistakes I did. Getting the first samatha jhana is useful, if not essential, to starting vipassana but you're clearly getting to grips with the vipassana jhanas already so don't worry yourself.

Vipassana is the answer to pretty much all of your questions, the jhanas are different to the samatha jhanas in that the samatha jhanas are states of concentration wheras vipassana are the stages of insight. It sounds like you've had quite a lot of experience with the samatha jhanas which are so lovely and blissful that they can be very addictive. The vipassana jhanas don't have that problem as you've already seen.

If you want some advice, access the first samatha jhana but use it as the basis for vipassana. Do not get lost in concentration practice as you'll find no insight without noting the Three Characteristics of each sensation. Concentration states are wonderful but vipassana is the most powerful and direct technique.

Spend some time on the site, read what other are saying and ask lots of questions 'cause there are people on here who can offer advice and encouragement regardless of your level of attainment. If you're sitting with a sangha, practicing daily and studying the Dharma then you're clearly committed to the work so just keep doing what you're doing, read MCTB and familiarise yourself with Theravadan terminology as you'll find that it helps immensely when asking for advice.

Good luck with everything and welcome to the site, I'm still fairly new to it myself but it is without a doubt one of the most helpful and informative communities online.