Mental Therapy

mudita, modified 4 Years ago at 7/8/19 3:12 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/8/19 6:32 AM

Mental Therapy

Will mental therapy will help me to proceed faster in my meditation practices? I’ve heard from a few long time meditation practitioners that mental therapy is a faster way to navigate through emotional issues. Does mental therapy help meditation practitioners? Or I could solely depend upon meditation to transcend myself? Thank you. 
J C, modified 4 Years ago at 7/8/19 1:43 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/8/19 1:43 PM

RE: Mental Therapy

mudita:
Will mental therapy will help me to proceed faster in my meditation practices? I’ve heard from a few long time meditation practitioners that mental therapy is a faster way to navigate through emotional issues. Does mental therapy help meditation practitioners? Or I could solely depend upon meditation to transcend myself? Thank you. 

I think of things in terms of the three trainings - so therapy helps with emotional issues, which fall under the first training (life), whereas meditation helps with the second and third trainings (concentration and insight).

Having insight can help with therapy, and therapy can help resolve issues that could interfere with meditation. They are complementary. I would not rely on either alone.
mudita, modified 4 Years ago at 7/8/19 3:15 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/8/19 3:15 PM

Thank you for your perspective. 
thumbnail
Jordi, modified 4 Years ago at 7/10/19 1:23 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/10/19 12:59 PM

Hi Mudita!

Therapy and meditation works in the same direction, lesser the suffering, but uses diferent framework.

I did therapy and also "inner work" and had been really helpfull on my life. Therapy works more on the idea that is a self and ego and you try to understand yourself, your life, your needs, your emotions, expectations etc. 

Be able to label to someone what you think and feel, share your traumas and expirences in a safe space can start a healing process.

I recomand you to dig in emotions see them like a language and try to explore and understand them. Even the worst emotions are saying something that is important to hear. 

Also an other interesting work is try to find out your core belife system. They define how you are and condicionate the image of you have of yourself.

When im talking of core belife I mean things like:
"Im smart/Im stupid" 
"Im handsome/Im ugly"
These ideas, concepts, views are root deep on ourself be able to observe and slowly change the negative perceptions that we have about us can bring relase of suffering and a more lovely kind view about ourselfs.

Meditation (observation) can help a lot in this process becouse you will study emotions not only reading books but also observing directly in your daily life and how you are triggered by them. Also with our belifes.  Metta meditation can help a lot. Vipassana is very interesting, I get rid off of a lot of psychological stuff without working directly on it. 

Its an incredible jurney that its worth to take, you can do it alone but with a good therapist you can go more faster and do more solid work! Human connections are key! But be carefull and dont get in a dependent relationship with the therapist, teacher o guru :p

Hope this helps! Good luck and have fun!

Breadcrumb