Am I looking at the right thing?

thumbnail
Travis McKinstry, modified 4 Years ago at 7/14/19 12:55 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/14/19 12:55 PM

Am I looking at the right thing?

I believe I’ve hit Equanimity. I feel a general sense of calm during my sit. I used Kenneth Folk’s “Diagnosing for Dummies” thread and my current practice feels like what he described; everything sucked and I was frustrated and now I’m faced with a general sense of calm. 

Anyways, when I get pretty good concentration going, I get this sense of something “snapping back”. It’s as if when I’m really into observing a sensation or formation, there’s this quick snap to a more “observer” type feel. Is this a thing? Should I be focusing on that sensation?

thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 7/14/19 1:08 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/14/19 1:06 PM

RE: Am I looking at the right thing?

Travis - do you recall that we talked about posting these things on your diary and not starting a lot of new topics? 

Again - can you please comply? I'm going to lock this thread and ask that you re-post this question about your practice in the appropriate topic - your practice diary.

Thank you,

Chris Marti
DhO Moderator
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 7/20/19 1:07 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/20/19 1:07 PM

So after reading and pondering some criticism of my action here - locking this thread - I'm going to unlock it and let it play out.

Chris Marti
DhO Moderator
Jason Massie, modified 4 Years ago at 7/20/19 3:25 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/20/19 3:25 PM

Sometimes my mind wanders and when I become aware of that, it snaps back to the object. Is that what is happening?

I would set a resolution to clearly see what is happening before, during and after and then try to repeat it. What are the sensations that you experience? 
T DC, modified 4 Years ago at 7/20/19 3:26 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/20/19 3:26 PM

Nice job hitting Equanimity.  I wouldn't particularly worry about focusing on any one sensation, in general I would just say maintain mindfulness, and if anything try not to be distracted by chasing any particular experience, such as an observer or so on. 

You can't force Stream Entry (assuming that's what you're going for), the best case scenario is to ramp up mindfulness, get comfortable in equanimity, and then let the process unfold. 

As well, don't be too concerned if you backslide, progress is not always perfectly linear, and getting comfortable / stable in progressively higher nanas is really the goal moving towards 1st path.  
thumbnail
Travis McKinstry, modified 4 Years ago at 7/20/19 6:29 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/20/19 6:29 PM

Chris, I’m not exactly sure why you locked it. I sent you a message through here so I can understand better how I’m supposed to use this forum. 

Jason, after some deliberation and speaking with a teacher, I realized it was in fact not Equanimity. It was me just dozing off. 

T DC, I appreciate the advice about backsliding. That’s been happening to me and your words bring me comfort. Thanks for that
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 7/21/19 4:39 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/21/19 4:39 PM

Travis: I replied to your message with an explanation.
thumbnail
Travis McKinstry, modified 4 Years ago at 7/25/19 9:54 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/25/19 9:54 AM

I’m not sure why my previous reply to your comment isn’t showing. But thanks for the advice. Kenneth Folk basically told me the same thing; “you can’t force SE. Just sit back, relax, and let it happen”.

Thanks again emoticon
thumbnail
terry, modified 4 Years ago at 8/1/19 1:24 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 8/1/19 1:24 PM

Travis McKinstry:
I believe I’ve hit Equanimity. I feel a general sense of calm during my sit. I used Kenneth Folk’s “Diagnosing for Dummies” thread and my current practice feels like what he described; everything sucked and I was frustrated and now I’m faced with a general sense of calm. 

Anyways, when I get pretty good concentration going, I get this sense of something “snapping back”. It’s as if when I’m really into observing a sensation or formation, there’s this quick snap to a more “observer” type feel. Is this a thing? Should I be focusing on that sensation?

aloha travis,

In my meditations, I will be sometimes cruising along in a flow of trance-like suspension and then suddenly there is a "snap back" to an awareness which seems more like basic sanity than the dreaminess of trance. I generally interpret this as "waking up" from a tendency to doze off or nod out and veg.

My guess is that it probably is a thing that you might want to encourage. Perhaps all of your awarenes could become a "snapping back." Often it seems to me that awareness comes as a sudden lurch into insight. Awakening is more of a continuous - or discontinuous - happening than a state. The "state" of awareness is primarily an illusion, as we don't notice the periods of unconsciousness that intervene.

I'm not sure insight - if that is what it is - can appropriately be regarded as a "sensation." At least, not in the sense of a perception. The perception of insight is itself insight.

There is sitting, there is peace, there is awareness of peace, there is awareness of awareness of peace, the is awareness of awareness of awareness of awareness....

terry
thumbnail
Travis McKinstry, modified 4 Years ago at 8/4/19 7:33 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 8/4/19 7:33 PM

terry:
Travis McKinstry:

aloha travis,

In my meditations, I will be sometimes cruising along in a flow of trance-like suspension and then suddenly there is a "snap back" to an awareness which seems more like basic sanity than the dreaminess of trance. I generally interpret this as "waking up" from a tendency to doze off or nod out and veg.

My guess is that it probably is a thing that you might want to encourage. Perhaps all of your awarenes could become a "snapping back." Often it seems to me that awareness comes as a sudden lurch into insight. Awakening is more of a continuous - or discontinuous - happening than a state. The "state" of awareness is primarily an illusion, as we don't notice the periods of unconsciousness that intervene.

I'm not sure insight - if that is what it is - can appropriately be regarded as a "sensation." At least, not in the sense of a perception. The perception of insight is itself insight.

There is sitting, there is peace, there is awareness of peace, there is awareness of awareness of peace, the is awareness of awareness of awareness of awareness....

terry

Terry,

That makes plenty of sense. Thanks so much for you words of wisdom emoticon