Message Boards Message Boards

Books and Websites

Daniel's book and the lack of people who are reading it

Threads [ Previous | Next ]
Toggle
When I first encountered this forum, there was a plethora of people who had read the meditation instructions in MCTB and we're following through with real results.
Now the forum is somewhat of a half homeless shelter half online marketplace with various people peddling their half-baked ideas. Where is the drive? Where is the enthusiasm?
I am not calling out any one in particular and yet I would love to get back on the pony.
Please let's all put our metaphorical heads together and get some stuff cooking.
This is not what I anticipated would happen to Dharma overground.org.
I am posting this rather than go to bed early and dream of using cocaine, something I have never done while awake. Proceed.

RE: Daniel's book and the lack of people who are reading it
Answer
7/31/19 7:53 PM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
I read MCTB AND MCTB2, which in and of itself is a Herculean feat, second only to enlightenment.
I do mahasi noting.
Practise 4-6 hours a day.
And now you’re stuck with me.
Hi.

Answer
7/31/19 9:21 PM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
I read MCTB and regularly skim through MCTB2. Highly recommended for those lurking here that have not read it. This and `Practical Insight Meditation` by Mahasi Sayadaw.

Answer
8/1/19 4:23 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
Dear SBS,

Thanks for your input.

As you point out, the DhO has gone in phases, some more productive, some less, some more full of those peddling wares, some less. Sometimes there is a lot of action, sometimes a lot of drama, sometimes a lot of practice reports, sometimes a lot of useless noise.

What is on your mind, specifically? What are your own needs? How can something useful arise from them? That's closer to where the rubber meets the road and traction occurs.

Answer
11/25/19 4:17 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
Sleeping Buddha Syndrome:
When I first encountered this forum, there was a plethora of people who had read the meditation instructions in MCTB and we're following through with real results.
Now the forum is somewhat of a half homeless shelter half online marketplace with various people peddling their half-baked ideas. Where is the drive? Where is the enthusiasm?
I am not calling out any one in particular and yet I would love to get back on the pony.
Please let's all put our metaphorical heads together and get some stuff cooking.
This is not what I anticipated would happen to Dharma overground.org.
I am posting this rather than go to bed early and dream of using cocaine, something I have never done while awake. Proceed.

I've found DharmaOverground to be a breath of fresh air inasmuch as any group of advanced practitioners are reading MCTB and following though with real results. Have you seen how watered down the rest of Buddha-land is out there? It's Daniel and Michael Taft and that's about it. I consider MCTB to be one of the most important books written on Buddhism in the last 50 years. However, you've got to understand something: This is an elite society. 

You've got people here who regularly experience A&P events. It's the common denominator. A&P events are effectively
kensho/Satori, meaning that that nearly everyone here is qualified to write about and/or teach the subject. A good portion of them are aiming for Stream Entry. This is not r/buddhism filled with your Mindfulness/ hot yoga pants crowd.Daniel wrote the book that way.

In short, you've effectively created a new school of thought, you guys just haven't named it and don't wish to promote it as such. You refuse to codify it. Daniel, you're a Arahant. You have the authority to start your own lineage and transmit the Dharma. That would be the next logical step for the group you've put together here. You said so yourself: These days, finding Enlightenment is easier than finding a teacher who will give student their stamp of approval. Their stinginess provides you with an opportunity.

Yours, 
David 

Answer
11/24/19 6:13 PM as a reply to David Kyle Spencer.
Generally agree with you there but A&P is not zen kensho or satori.

Answer
11/25/19 12:25 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
I warm to the idea of exploration and creativity. Yes, sometimes this can bring out our trial-and-error factors making us look like the floppy leaves of a cruciferous vegetable, namely a cabbage.

All in all, we have to swing our words to expel the faecal matter thus giving rise to some partial clarity.

Answer
11/25/19 4:45 AM as a reply to An Eternal Now.
An Eternal Now:
Generally agree with you there but A&P is not zen kensho or satori.

I know, I'm just trying to make a broader point that this is a group of advanced practitioners. If this were a Zen site, then people would be objecting that A&P events are just makyō. For them, the big dividing line is satori. Here, it's A&P. For a Golden Dawn group, the dividing line would be KCHGA, which they may or may not equate with A&P. Either way, it's a winnowing process, and the result is a relatively small group of teachers in training.

Answer
11/25/19 9:59 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
Over the years I've read parts of it but not the whole thing, not even nearly. I bought a physical copy of the 2nd edition recently and opened it a couple of times but just couldn't read it. It felt like trying to mix oil and water so I closed it and will probably never read it.

I'm sure it's a good book for those interested. If it was third or even half the size it's now, it'd surely be read more widely.

Answer
11/25/19 12:17 PM as a reply to David Kyle Spencer.
As a newer participant, I also feel DHO is a breath of fresh air. I enjoy the messy diversity of views and varied personalities who are part of the community. I would add that this site is valuable not just for advanced pactitioners, but advanced pactitioners wannbees like myself with less than a year of semi-intensive practice. There is so much here (including archives) that is so helpful. I am on it several times a week and wish I had more time to post (and more helpful things to say!) I have read MCTB2 all the way through and some parts again at least a half dozen times along with a bunch of other "dharma" books. What is fascinating it that I can read sections of MCTB2 or DHO posts again now, ones I read 3-4 months ago, and they are almost totally different because my own experience and perspective has changed. I live in a rural area with no one around to discuss this stuff, so I am grateful to benefit from the DHO sangha.

Answer
11/25/19 12:34 PM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
Imo because actually doing it is extremely difficult, time consuming, and has a real risk of severe trauma, and people are busy and stressed enough already.  I think you have to be pretty intense and not all that prudent to try this stuff.  

Answer
11/25/19 1:00 PM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
That book is my Bible. Just sayin'. 

Answer
11/25/19 1:16 PM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
Well, I read the first edition twice and the second edition once, cover to cover. I found that MCTB provided an incredibly valuable and in fact unique integrative view of the phenomenology of the dharma. And it is packed full of amazing information and examples. Hard? Risky? Maybe, but nothing worthwhile is easy.  My own practice skipped the first part of mahasi-style noting that infuses the book, and integrated with it later on. Yet MCTB was still essential to any progress that I have made.

And the title is Mastering the Core Teaching of the Buddha. Unforutnately, we are not yet at the stage where 'Mastery' can be achieved by reading an airport book or popping a pill.

Answer
11/25/19 2:11 PM as a reply to Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö.
Oh yea I'm a massive unrepentant fan of MCTB2 and am extremely grateful it's out there.  I just don't think it's a big mystery why few people do it even though it's fairly likely to work.

Answer
11/25/19 3:18 PM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
I've been here a few years now and read MCTB one and two multiple times. There was an initial overly enthusiastic phase, there have been lazy periods, there have been more half baked theories and posts than i'd like to admit. I'm still grateful for the books and the forum which allows me to explore the practises and ideas in the books. If anything some of my half baked posts have allowed me to see just how half baked some of those ideas were, so it was useful (and hopefully not too annoying to the rest of you). Similarly, seeing others make mistakes has sometimes helped me work through the same issues.

I'd prefer a little chaos versus an overly moderated place of absolute decorum and strict definitions of wisdom and/or practise.