Amanda Toney, modified 13 Years ago at 2/3/11 12:21 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/3/11 12:21 PM

Thai Uposatha days (google, icalendar, pdf) & Ajahn Maha Boow

For google and icalendar
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sila/uposatha2011.html
pdf format, just download or print.
http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/Forest_Sangha_Calendar_2011.pdf
-
This Uposatha, many in the Thai forest tradition are honoring Ajahn Maha Boowa.
"I learned this evening the sad news that Venerable Maha Boowa died a few hours ago in Thailand, after a long illness. Born in 1913, he was the last of a generation of Thai forest monks (including Ajahn Lee and Ajaan Chah) who trained with Ajaan Mun in the 1940's and were instrumental in bringing forest Dhamma meditation practice to the West.
Anicca vata sankhara..." facebook post from www.accesstoinsight.org, Jan 29th, 6:06pm.
Amanda Toney, modified 13 Years ago at 2/3/11 8:18 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/3/11 8:18 PM

RE: Thai Uposatha days (google, icalendar, pdf) & Ajahn Maha

Uposatha update... and Funniness.
Around 3 something pm I was very hungry, and tried to fight the urge to just go to sleep while sitting in class. I turned to a class mate and asked her what time it was. It was about 10 minutes before class was over..
Marie (the class mate): about 3:40
Me: Great, cause I need some cheese!
Marie & guy next to me: *start laughing*
Me: * Just realized how random this must sound to a non-Buddhist.* Whispers: It's a Buddhist thing... I can't eat past noon, except Cheese... And chocolate.
Marie: *Gives me some chocolate.*
-
I think I have a new friend emoticon. I know we have some rigorous diet restrictions this day and I didn't get into as much detail as I should have, but we were sitting in class. Hope, you guys have a fruitful evening of practice and got some giggles from this post.
thumbnail
Florian, modified 13 Years ago at 2/4/11 4:35 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/4/11 4:35 AM

RE: Thai Uposatha days (google, icalendar, pdf) & Ajahn Maha

Hi Amanda,

Yeah, practice can result in comical situations.

Maintaining round-the-clock mindfulness of eating, being hungry, being satiated, having appetites - that can be strong practice. I got into A&P territory once just by closely tracking which food I was eating, as an experiment, to find out what would change if I switched to a vegetarian diet.

So if you can do it, don't limit this mindfulness just to observance days. Admittedly, it's easiest then, because of the skipped meals and snacks emoticon

Cheers,
Florian

Breadcrumb