Extinction Rebellion Buddhists (London)

Edward, modified 4 Years ago at 9/6/19 5:32 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/6/19 5:26 AM

Extinction Rebellion Buddhists (London)

I'm not involved with this yet, but just sharing this here for anyone interested:

Are you a Buddhist who's concerned about climate change?
In October, Extinction Rebellion will be calling the attention of the world to the urgent crisis we are facing as a human race. This international rebellion will focus on capital cities, where the power is concentrated, and is targeted particularly at goverernment and big corporations.A group of us, initiated by the group Dharma Action Network for Climate Engagement (DANCE), have recently come together as XR Buddhists, and we will be occupying Westminster as a part of a 'Faith Bridge' - a physical space where those from different faiths will unite to send a clear message about the necessity for solidarity in response to the challenges we face.We are currently in the early stage of organisation and ideas so far include a mass meditation event, grief circles, and a roaming band of 'meditation rebels'. If you would like to join our organising team (which mainly works on WhatsApp) or if you are free between the 7th and the 20th of October to join us in London, we need you...We are looking for people to simply attend, which you can do without any 'homework' - you just need to be on board with non-violent civil disobedience as a powerful way of empowering the people. There will also be a need for people to help out with cooking, stewarding etc. - join your local Extinction Rebellion group to hook into training, buy the XR Handbook, check out the international Facebook group and maybe even consider whether you'd like to be an 'arrestable' (most aren't and this isn't necessary!).We'd also really appreciate your help in spreading the word - forward this email to your sanghas, and invite people via the Facebook event here: www.facebook.com/events/713260969116066As Buddhists we have unique qualities to offer this movement of movements. We can bring steadiness, wisdom, and our contemplative practice. We can bring our hearts and our faith. If you'd like to stay updated, keep checking our Facebook event, or email any questions to xrbuddhists@gmail.com. We very much hope to see you in London in October.

With fierce love for our planet,in solidarity,Satya, Joe & the Extinction Rebellion Buddhists UK team

thumbnail
Joost, modified 4 Years ago at 9/6/19 6:38 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/6/19 6:38 AM

RE: Extinction Rebellion Buddhists (London)

Very cool to see this. Thanks for sharing!
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 10/1/20 1:48 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/1/20 1:48 AM

Edward:
I'm not involved with this yet, but just sharing this here for anyone interested:

Are you a Buddhist who's concerned about climate change?
In October, Extinction Rebellion will be calling the attention of the world to the urgent crisis we are facing as a human race. This international rebellion will focus on capital cities, where the power is concentrated, and is targeted particularly at goverernment and big corporations.A group of us, initiated by the group Dharma Action Network for Climate Engagement (DANCE), have recently come together as XR Buddhists, and we will be occupying Westminster as a part of a 'Faith Bridge' - a physical space where those from different faiths will unite to send a clear message about the necessity for solidarity in response to the challenges we face.We are currently in the early stage of organisation and ideas so far include a mass meditation event, grief circles, and a roaming band of 'meditation rebels'. If you would like to join our organising team (which mainly works on WhatsApp) or if you are free between the 7th and the 20th of October to join us in London, we need you...We are looking for people to simply attend, which you can do without any 'homework' - you just need to be on board with non-violent civil disobedience as a powerful way of empowering the people. There will also be a need for people to help out with cooking, stewarding etc. - join your local Extinction Rebellion group to hook into training, buy the XR Handbook, check out the international Facebook group and maybe even consider whether you'd like to be an 'arrestable' (most aren't and this isn't necessary!).We'd also really appreciate your help in spreading the word - forward this email to your sanghas, and invite people via the Facebook event here: www.facebook.com/events/713260969116066As Buddhists we have unique qualities to offer this movement of movements. We can bring steadiness, wisdom, and our contemplative practice. We can bring our hearts and our faith. If you'd like to stay updated, keep checking our Facebook event, or email any questions to xrbuddhists@gmail.com. We very much hope to see you in London in October.

With fierce love for our planet,in solidarity,Satya, Joe & the Extinction Rebellion Buddhists UK team

Edward, thank you for this, and God bless you all. Are you doing anything this year?

love, tim
Edward, modified 3 Years ago at 10/1/20 3:41 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/1/20 3:41 PM

Hi Tim,

I'm not actually- I think it's going to be difficult to upstage covid. But I of course still hope for a future where man and pangolin live in harmony.

Ed
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 10/2/20 1:59 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/2/20 1:59 AM

Edward:
Hi Tim,

I'm not actually- I think it's going to be difficult to upstage covid. But I of course still hope for a future where man and pangolin live in harmony.

Ed
hey, Ed,

I'm down for the pangolin harmony.

It's probably just as well, activism-wise. I am getting my affairs in order for November, in the likely event that Trump steals the election somehow and I have to take to the streets and be among the first ones arrested in our new post-democratic USA.

love, tim

Breadcrumb