5th path

A Dietrich Ringle, modified 4 Years ago at 9/12/19 10:37 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/12/19 10:37 AM

5th path

I have a question. So what if I moved into 4th path territory? Does that mean there might be another path ahead of me? How would I know. I assume that since the paths and their jhanas line up, fifth path equals fifth jhana experience mastered over and again. But to leave the world of form behind. That seems like a tall order. For example, do formless realms have temperature?
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 4 Years ago at 9/12/19 10:43 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/12/19 10:43 AM

RE: 5th path

That's how I have been playing it. Noticing the three characteristics of humor flowing into temperature on a weighted scale.
thumbnail
Milo, modified 4 Years ago at 9/12/19 10:57 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/12/19 10:55 AM

Sleeping Buddha Syndrome:
I have a question. So what if I moved into 4th path territory? Does that mean there might be another path ahead of me? How would I know. I assume that since the paths and their jhanas line up, fifth path equals fifth jhana experience mastered over and again. But to leave the world of form behind. That seems like a tall order. For example, do formless realms have temperature?

I don't think this is the case. The jhanas correspond with the stages of insight, not the insight path (And all the formless jhanas are just considered a subset of fourth in that case). You might go through many full insight cycles during a single path.

With the usual caveat, as I have been reminded, that ultimately this is all just 'stuff' at the end of the day : )
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/12/19 1:43 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/12/19 1:43 PM

It is possible to access more than eight jhanas before even reaching first path. Maybe you are thinking about some model of nanas?

The criteria for what qualifies as formless realms differ between teachers. Some require that there is no sense of having a body at all, so in those cases temperature is irrelevant. Others claim that in soft jhana there is still contact with the outer world, so in that case the temperature is probably the same, I guess, albeit not that tangible.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 4 Years ago at 9/14/19 3:03 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/12/19 2:27 PM

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
The criteria for what qualifies as formless realms differ between teachers. Some require that there is no sense of having a body at all, so in those cases temperature is irrelevant. Others claim that in soft jhana there is still contact with the outer world, so in that case the temperature is probably the same, I guess, albeit not that tangible.
I was exploring the fifth jhana out of what I considered the no-self door of fruition. Humor was self-evident though.

No-self door came before. Review had ended. The previous 4th path claim.

Edit. Believing that you can access more than the classical 8 jhanas prior to Stream Entry means you are caught up in Momentary concentration in some aspect of past and/or future.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 4 Years ago at 11/14/19 5:32 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/14/19 5:32 PM

I am trying to separate my notion of fifth path and that of 5g lte. Strange as it sounds, it works all but the veracity for if it's healthy or not!