Uposatha and living with non Buddhist roommates.

Amanda Toney, modified 13 Years ago at 2/18/11 12:59 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/18/11 12:59 PM

Uposatha and living with non Buddhist roommates.

Hey, first off Happy Magha Puja...
I am using ear plugs because my roommate is listening to music. Does it count as breaking a precept if your roommate uses entertainment, but you can hear it anyway even when you try not to? Thanks!
~A
PS: I don't want to ask anyone else to do the 8 precepts once a week. I think that would be pushing my religion on others.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 2/18/11 1:37 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/18/11 1:31 PM

RE: Uposatha and living with non Buddhist roommates. (Answer)

Try simply noise! Works great for drowning out your auditory environment.

As for whether it breaks a precept... I think you have to take a look at the point of the precepts in the first place. What's the goal of that precept? According to access to insight:
Access to Insight:
...and an additional three precepts [which include "I undertake the precept to refrain from dancing, singing, music, going to see entertainments, wearing garlands, using perfumes, and beautifying the body with cosmetics."] that are especially supportive to meditation practice.

So as long as whatever entertainment might assault your senses doesn't distract you from that purpose, you'll be doing it in the right spirit. But one could hold the precept to the letter and yet not have that give them any benefit if their intent is not properly applied. (e.g. you can sit there with eyes closed, earplugs on, and just think about random things for the whole day. wouldn't really benefit anyone.)
Amanda Toney, modified 13 Years ago at 2/18/11 3:59 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/18/11 3:59 PM

RE: Uposatha and living with non Buddhist roommates.

Thanks, I went to the link and I found something more in depth from that page. I guess when it happens next time I can just use ear phones and turn up a dhamma talk.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanavara/uposatha.html#qa
This Good Self, modified 13 Years ago at 2/19/11 12:07 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/19/11 12:07 AM

RE: Uposatha and living with non Buddhist roommates.

I know a guy who broke his favourite Precept on the 16th at St Andrews. It probably cost him the round, not to mention the replacement cost.

You could always join in and dance. emoticon

Breadcrumb