NYC Serious Meditators' Sitting and Social Group: Tuesday, September 24

thumbnail
Jon Krop, modified 4 Years ago at 9/23/19 1:01 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/18/19 6:38 AM

NYC Serious Meditators' Sitting and Social Group: Tuesday, September 24

UPDATE: We're now starting at 6:30, not 7:30, and meeting in a new spot at NYU. Happy to give location details if anyone from here is planning on coming.

Hi everyone! I’ve been wishing for a while for a local sangha of other meditators who are enthusiastic about the craft of meditation. I think it would be nice to have a group of like-minded yogis to hang out, talk shop, and, of course, sit with. The local meditation centers are nice, and I go sometimes, but none of them feels quite like home.

Since a group specifically for serious meditators doesn’t exist in NYC to my knowledge, I figured I’d start one.

Our first meetup is 
next Tuesday, September 24, at 7:30 PM. The location is Cara Vision Studio, 134 W 29th St. #709, New York, NY, 10001. It's a large, comfortable, quiet space that normally serves as a photography studio.

Format:

We'll do a short introducing-ourselves thing, sit for an hour (with a bell midway through for anyone who wants to break it up), do a short closing thing, then grab dinner.

If you're planning to come, please post here to RSVP so I can get a sense of the headcount. I hope to see you there!

Some details:

• This is non-sectarian. Mahasians, Goenkians, Shinzenites, samatha yogis, Zen students, Patanjalians, dzogchenpos, advaitans, Sufis, Quakers, whoever. If you do some sort of silent sitting, you are welcome!

• There will be no teacher. I’m organizing this but do NOT want any position of spiritual authority. Might be cool to have visiting teachers come through to speak now and then, though.

• This is Bring Your Own Cushion for now (there will be some chairs available). The floor is hardwood, so bear that in mind and bring what you think you'll need. I may eventually be able to finesse us some cushions, but for now we're just gonna do it grimy.

• I might ask y'all to chip in $5-10, if you have the means, to help cover the cost of renting the space, but that's optional. No pressure.

• If there are any new details or changes, I'll post them here. Make sure to check this post the day of the meetup, just in case.
See you soon,

Jon

Breadcrumb