New here. Looking for guidance in North Alabama

Stevie W Hays, modified 4 Years ago at 9/29/19 6:51 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/29/19 6:51 AM

New here. Looking for guidance in North Alabama

Hello everyone.  I am new to this site but not to its subject matter.  To get straight to the point I am looking for a group or teacher in North Alabama. 

For a little more background I have been a seeker for about fifteen years with my dedication to meditation waxing and waning over that time and peaking at a level of two hours per day. I have often wanted to spend more time In practice and felt like I could if it seemed like I was getting anything out of it but honestly it never has.  

I've never had any proper guidance because I've never had access to a teacher, at all really, much less one I had any faith in and I don't really have the time or money for a retreat. I guess that's about it.  

Thanks,
Stevie
Handsome Monkey King, modified 4 Years ago at 9/30/19 6:08 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/30/19 6:08 PM

RE: New here. Looking for guidance in North Alabama

Not to be a smartass, but have you tried looking? I googled "Buddhism in Alabama" and a bunch of stuff came up. You can also search here: http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/country.php?country_id=2

I read on another site that Daniel Ingram lives in Northern Alabama (not sure if that's outdated information). Supposedly he only takes very serious students and I'm sure he's busy with his research.
Stevie W Hays, modified 4 Years ago at 9/30/19 6:20 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/30/19 6:20 PM

Yeah. I've been to a few of those and looked into a few others and I saw no reason to assume I could find any more than I already knew. Thank you though. 
Stevie W Hays, modified 4 Years ago at 9/30/19 6:21 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/30/19 6:21 PM

Excluding Daniel of course but I wouldn't be so bold as to ask. 
Handsome Monkey King, modified 4 Years ago at 9/30/19 9:08 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/30/19 9:08 PM

Is there a particular problem you had with those teachers? I think a teacher that's not a 100% fit is still better than no teacher.
Stevie W Hays, modified 4 Years ago at 10/1/19 4:34 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/1/19 4:34 AM

I wouldn't say I had a problem it's just that they only seemed to offer the most introductory instruction, and in some cases said as much,  and I've been at the introductory level for fifteen years.  I was hoping for someone that could help me over that hump.  I knew it was a long shot but I  saw no harm in asking. 
Handsome Monkey King, modified 4 Years ago at 10/1/19 10:43 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/1/19 10:43 PM

Yeah, I've ran into similar situations. In my experience if you consistently show up, do the practices, and come to interviews, they will eventually give you more advanced practices. But you have to be consistent.

Breadcrumb