A little question about felicity and PCE

thumbnail
adam ,, modified 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 1:55 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 1:54 PM

A little question about felicity and PCE

Ello actualizers, I was thinking today about emotion and affect, and wondering why I should investigate all my emotions and try to rid myself of them by exposing their ridiculousness except felicity. What separates felicity from the other emotions?

Also, when I try to tune into the senses and try to recognize how perfect everything I feel this buzz of pleasure throughout my body, is this good? is it felicity? Is this what you feel when near a PCE? or am I doing something wrong?
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 2:01 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 2:01 PM

RE: A little question about felicity and PCE (Answer)

adam j. hunter:
Ello actualizers, I was thinking today about emotion and affect, and wondering why I should investigate all my emotions and try to rid myself of them by exposing their ridiculousness except felicity. What separates felicity from the other emotions?

Good question!

adam j. hunter:
Also, when I try to tune into the senses and try to recognize how perfect everything I feel this buzz of pleasure throughout my body, is this good? is it felicity? Is this what you feel when near a PCE? or am I doing something wrong?

Sounds like could be 1st jhana... not sure where to go from there. just keep enjoying all your senses, dont try to hide from, reduce, or amplify the pleasure.
thumbnail
adam ,, modified 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 2:07 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 2:07 PM

RE: A little question about felicity and PCE

yes it feels like first jhana, but I don't want no first jhana emoticon
thumbnail
adam ,, modified 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 2:48 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 2:48 PM

oh and also, I think I answered my first question, fear/desire/aggression/nurture are all emotions with a message, they are all motivating you to do something. Felicity is basically just an appreciation. fear tells you to avoid, aggression tells you to stop/destroy, nurture tells you to help, desire tells you to get, felicity tells you to not do anything. and that is freedom, not having to do anything, being infinitely content with the current conditions.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 3:03 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 3:03 PM

adam j. hunter:
oh and also, I think I answered my first question, fear/desire/aggression/nurture are all emotions with a message, they are all motivating you to do something. Felicity is basically just an appreciation. fear tells you to avoid, aggression tells you to stop/destroy, nurture tells you to help, desire tells you to get, felicity tells you to not do anything. and that is freedom, not having to do anything, being infinitely content with the current conditions.

that's one way to say it, but to be more precise (from the link I gave):

tarin:
functionally speaking, the former (the 'good' feelings) are identity-reinforcing while the latter (the felicitous feelings) are first identity-loosening, then identity-abandoning; phenomenologically speaking, the former (the 'good' feelings) feel (generally) blissful while the latter (the felicitous feelings) feel joyous (and feel less and less at all the more felicitous they become).

while it is blissful to sustain oneself in bliss, it is supremely joyous to go out of existence.
as 'i' am 'my feelings' (and 'they' are 'me'), and as felicitous feelings are first identity-loosening (they demonstrate, experientially, that 'i' do not have to hold tight to the reins in order for things to be fine, and well, and safe) then identity-abandoning (as not holding tight to the reins demonstrates, experientially, that the reins could very well be lost completely), can you now understand what it is about felicitous feelings that leads to the pce?

it is both ridiculously safe and fun to be here.. where all of us are, as humans, but a poorly-placed footstep away from paralytic injury, and a missed heartbeat or two from utter oblivion.
thumbnail
adam ,, modified 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 6:20 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 6:20 PM

Hmm, I've yet to have a PCE, every time I make some effort to cultivate one I just look around with wonder and sensuousness, trying to feel and see and hear the perfection of the universe. But still this weird annoying thing happens, I feel these little bursts of pleasure, which I have a totally involuntary and unstoppable reflex against.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 6:53 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 6:53 PM

adam j. hunter:
Hmm, I've yet to have a PCE, every time I make some effort to cultivate one I just look around with wonder and sensuousness, trying to feel and see and hear the perfection of the universe. But still this weird annoying thing happens, I feel these little bursts of pleasure, which I have a totally involuntary and unstoppable reflex against.

well, don't try to stop the bursts. see instead why it is you want them to not arise - is that aversion not silly?
thumbnail
adam ,, modified 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 7:49 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/2/11 7:49 PM

yes it is, but like I said its unstoppable and involuntary, I'll keep trying though.

Breadcrumb