Anyone cured migraine?

thumbnail
Illuminatus, modified 4 Years ago at 10/7/19 7:24 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/7/19 7:24 AM

Anyone cured migraine?

I don't get migraines but my friend does and it's debilitating enough that she frequently has to take (unpaid) sick leave.

Has anyone got any experience curing migraine, whether via meditation or any other method?

Thanks!
Z , modified 4 Years ago at 10/7/19 10:56 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/7/19 10:56 AM

RE: Anyone cured migraine?

I've had success reducing migraine-like symptoms and head pressure with Zhan Zhuang standing meditation. It's taken almost a year of daily practice but things have improved considerably.
George S, modified 4 Years ago at 10/8/19 9:12 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/8/19 9:10 PM

My persistent headache seems connected with overthinking (no surprise) and self identity. If I start to look at the headache from different angles and try to get inside it, then eventually something cracks and the pressure starts to move around a little and lessen. My lower chakras were pretty dead, so waking those up activated energy (piti/kundalini) which would encompass more of the body and take away pressure/focus from the head. The main issue down there seems to be anger. It's still a work in progress, but unless there is any specific dietary/genetic/medical reasons for the headache then maybe time to start thinking about chakra blocakge (residue of emotional repression) and rebalancing to get overall body energy flowing around more smoothly. Warning though, the headaches got worse once I started meditating before they got better. And even now they can still be pretty bad, maybe even stronger than ever, but it doesn't bother me the same way because I think I understand it and can see it as part of a bigger developing picture with (hopefully) light at the end of the tunnel. Best wishes to your friend.
Change A, modified 4 Years ago at 10/9/19 11:28 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/9/19 11:28 AM

Yes, I don't get migraines now. I got over them through meditation. It is just about balancing energy through your body. But the reason for the blockages in the body is because of blocking anger and desire in the mind. 
pieva, modified 4 Years ago at 10/9/19 1:43 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/9/19 1:43 PM

According to Goenka, he started meditation because of migraines.

I used to get headaches but learnt to ease them off with mindfulness. First, any pain is not as bad when observed with equanimity rather than with repulsion. Second, I noticed how I used to strain muscles around temples when in pain. If, instead, I relax temple and forehead muscles completely, the pain is likely to go away. Might not work for severe migraines but could be worth trying. 
thumbnail
Stirling Campbell, modified 4 Years ago at 10/9/19 8:53 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/9/19 8:53 PM

Stream entry actually coincided with getting regular migraine auras, which are the crazy visual effects, but without the actual headache. They aren't any real burden, just odd. I have had a regular meditation practice throughout and they haven't gone away.
Brooklyn, modified 4 Years ago at 10/11/19 10:42 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/11/19 10:42 AM

Yes, happy to report that I am not getting migranes anymore. First thing that helped (and also cured migranes and anxiety attacks for my husband) - no more caffeine in any form. The strongest tea I drink now is decaf green tea. emoticon

Second step that helped regular migranes that would show up every month consistently - getting off birth control pill. Spikes / drops in hormone levels were causing migranes.

I am also a vegan. I know certain foods can trigger migranes for some people - something to experiment with.

Hope your friend can find a cure.

Breadcrumb