Are there good retreats for practicing actualism specifically?

ed c, modified 13 Years ago at 3/11/11 5:14 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/11/11 5:14 PM

Are there good retreats for practicing actualism specifically?

Hi all -
I wanted to ask if anyone could recommend a retreat that would helpful in my pursuit of becoming actually free? I’ve read the posts from Sean and others about practicing actualism on Vipassana retreats, but it really wasn’t meant to address what would be the best thing to do if one could pick any retreat to go on.
Some potentially helpful context.
1) I’ve been doing simple counting mediation about 15 minutes a day, for about a year. I really have no concentration or insight attainments and was planning on pursuing both after reading MCTB, which I just finished.
2) I’ve now read a significant portion of the AF site, spent countless hours reading posts here about AF and listened to the podcasts with Daniel and Tarin and decided I would shift in this direction for multiple reasons. Within the last few weeks I’ve started my daily practice essentially revolving around the HAIETMOBA question.
3) I have never been on a retreat but have meaning to go for about a year now.
4) I’m married with two small children so a chance to unplug from everything and dedicate time exclusively to this pursuit appeals to me on a couple different levels.

The last point leads me to mention this. Specifically, I have set my goal at experiencing a PCE and attaining Virtual Freedom. Completing the process to AF, so to speak, will be decided after I have more direct experience in my practice. A large part of my hesitation on committing to AF as my goal now is how this will impact my wife and kids. If I knew becoming “actually free” would negatively impact my ability to be a good husband and father (from their perspective), then I wouldn’t do it. At least perhaps not until my children are grown and more independent (15- 20 years). I haven’t read anything that leads me to believe being a “good” husband/father and being AF are incompatible. However, I haven’t heard anyone with direct experience comment on the changes in being a husband/wife and/or parent, so for now I’m hedging slightly and shooting for VF; which on a certain level is what I’ve been moving toward for a few years now anyway. Best to all in their pursuits and thanks in advance for any advice.
Ed
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 3/12/11 12:00 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/11/11 11:39 PM

RE: Are there good retreats for practicing actualism specifically?

Hey ed, and welcome!

Can't recommend a retreat, but about your parenting point, Stefanie is an AF parent so maybe you could talk to her about it. I like quoting one post in particular to those having doubts about AF parenting, an excerpt from Stefanie's introductory thread:

S Kyle:

Initially I found it difficult to experience a PCE/EE while parenting or to maintain one if I was in that space upon the commencement of parenting. (I am divorced and share 50/50 custody w/my ex, so I have what seems like quite a lot of "solo" time.) But I started going for walks with my daughter around sunset and this was a helpful integration of "parent" mode and pce/ee mode. In fact, while on one of these walks, the way I saw her really shifted. I ceased to see her as "mine," and so there was really nothing to "do" in terms of shaping her behavior. Approaching her in this way has destabilized much of the usual parent/child tension. It is really so simple...I just let her be. I am sure the parents who read this will cringe and maybe that will be perceived by some as uncaring or irresponsible, but analytically speaking, I would have to disagree.

I think being in that mode makes me a much better parent. In much the same way that when I am in that space I don't feel a centralized identification with "Stefanie," I also don't feel that identified with my daughter. I also see her as something "happening" so nothing she does can anger me (including say, "I hate you," or smearing BBQ sauce on the couch) because while I am in that space she can't really insult "me," or make me upset about "my" couch.

Lately she has picked up the habit of spitting (she is 4, btw) while at summer camp from some older kids. And of course I've told her repeatedly not to spit, but she sort of ignores me. I tell her not to spit not because it irritates me, but because I know this is a violation of social norms and I need to instruct her. There is no passion in my instruction, it is very rote actually.

Scene:

Child: spits.

Mother: Sweetie, don't spit.

Child: Ok.

(Some tme later.)

Child: spits.

Mother: Sweetie, don't spit.

Child: Ok.

(Repeat ad nauseum.)

End scene.

When I went to pick her up at my ex's house, she spit, and he flew off the handle and I was kind of watching him, her, the spit, etc. etc. unfold and he was like "Hello?? Aren't you going to do something?" So I just turned to my daughter and looked her in the eye and said, "Please, don't spit anymore." (Of course this had no long term results.) But I have a very good memory of childhood and of having had an abusive, very reactive parent. So I know that while 4 year old children will definitely outgrow the habit of spitting, they will quite likely hold on to the memory of an irate (and scary) parent for a long time. A non-reactive attitude, which is my norm, even out of PCE/EE mode, is much better in the long run. I just don't see the super-clingy, overly reactive way of parenting as a good thing.

I have read on this forum some debates from anti-AF people that they think PCE's make one more prone to danger because one wouldn't be motivated to avoid it. Well, yesterday I was in PCE/EE mode and I was at the park with my daughter and another woman and her daughter. And storm clouds rolled in. It was magnificent! They were so dark and gray and fat, and there was a lot of lovely, strong wind, which once the children were assured that no tornado was coming, they relaxed into it and let the wind blow them around. Well, about 10 minutes into this lovely pre-storm activity, lightening struck a tree and an electric line right next to the park. A fire started and the electric line made these bass-like booming noises. Well, my friend that I was with started running away frantically, with her child. (Which was also funny because I drove and had the car keys...but I digress...) I just sort of calmly gathered up my daughter and walked away. She was incredibly shaken up and afraid, and I felt nothing except maybe some intense interest about the sound of two forms of electricity meeting (the line and the lightening). But no one was harmed, or even close to harmed, and it was fine.

I also believe Richard has written some stuff about it, seeing as how he raised 3 (or 4?) kids while becoming AF / when AF[1]. Vague snippets I remember are the kids being happy that "rules dad" is gone, and Richard stating it is important to be authoritative (speaking with confidence and experience) with kids, but not authoritarian (adhering to strict rules and being 'an authority').

If you are worried about not being intimate with your wife or something along those lines, AF people consistently say that they experience an actual intimacy with the actual other person, instead of perceived intimacy that love brings. However, Richard also was saying how his spouse mentioned there is "no one to make a connection to", so perhaps you should talk to your wife about it, maybe get her interested (both Richard&his companion, and Peter&Vineeto, seem to have had a lot of fun times pursuing the path together). but ultimately if you are AF you will probably definitely cause her less suffering overall[2]. i'm neither AF nor a parent nor married nor pursuing AF with a companion though so i can't speak from personal experience.

Anyway, much luck, feel free to post any questions you have.

[1] I got that link by googling site:actualfreedom.com.au parenting - a useful way to find topics on that site
[2] think of any potential argument/upset/unpleasantness between you and your wife as a chain of karma (cause and effect) bouncing between you two, back and forth... cutting off the chain at any one point stops it in its tracks... and as an AF person you won't be able to perpetuate the chain from your end.
ed c, modified 13 Years ago at 3/12/11 7:49 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/12/11 7:49 PM

RE: Are there good retreats for practicing actualism specifically?

Beo –
Great tip on using Google to do a term search on the AF site! Thank you!

[1] I got that link by googling site:actualfreedom.com.au parenting - a useful way to find topics on that site

On the retreat situation, I’m just looking to maximize my time, as it’s rare to get a few consecutive days alone to myself. I could really say that I’m looking for a place to get away to and practice whether it’s a classic “retreat” or not is of less concern. I’ve considered simply renting a hotel room or camping for a week. Given how a few people indicated stream entry was very valuable in later practicing actuatlism I’ve thought about focusing my attention there first, but given what a novice I am that seems really daunting. Lastly, someone else commented there are some mediation retreats that are fairly unstructured where you could essentially practice how you please. Ideally I’d like a place with some structure, experienced instructors and students who were also working toward the same goal as me. However, that doesn’t appear likely so I’m leaning toward camping for a week by myself. Perhaps there will eventually be structured “retreats” for those interested in actualism?

On the wife/kids front the information you presented and linked to was helpful. It doesn’t alleviate all my concerns, but I think that’s simply going to take time and experience. My wife and I are on different wavelengths when it comes to “religion/spirituality”. It’s complex, but she’s not going to join me on this and while that’s not a deal breaker, it complicates things. It’s certainly possible we could eventually hit that fork in the road; it happens all the time for reasons less weighty than this. However, I could be naive but I envision reaching my spiritual goals while staying with my wife forever even though “I” understand that “I” won’t exist anymore… My head is starting to hurt, I better stop there. 

Breadcrumb