Focusing on the forehead (brow chakra) calms strong emotions?

thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 4 Years ago at 10/23/19 3:45 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/23/19 3:44 PM

Focusing on the forehead (brow chakra) calms strong emotions?

I have noticed that focusing my attention on my forehead (brow chakra) calms strong emotions.

I am wondering if anyone else notices this and if the phenomenon is part of any known spiritual tradition.

I discovered this accidentally when doing the type of relaxation exercise where you go over each part of the body and say to yourself it is feeling relaxed and heavy. I found that when I started with my forehead, when I focused my attention there,  it had a profound effect on calming emotions.
thumbnail
Bardo, modified 4 Years ago at 10/24/19 3:12 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/24/19 3:12 AM

RE: Focusing on the forehead (brow chakra) calms strong emotions?

Jim Smith:
I have noticed that focusing my attention on my forehead (brow chakra) calms strong emotions.

I am wondering if anyone else notices this and if the phenomenon is part of any known spiritual tradition.

I discovered this accidentally when doing the type of relaxation exercise where you go over each part of the body and say to yourself it is feeling relaxed and heavy. I found that when I started with my forehead, when I focused my attention there,  it had a profound effect on calming emotions.

That's interesting. My approach with dense emotions is to allow them to tear through my body. After a while they loose their impetus and fizzle out. During this process it's possible to see the waxing and waning of these emotions in real time and, with good concentration, see their particle-like construct. There has been a few times where I just didn't feel able to hold those emotions any longer. In those instances I would have a home puja ceremony and get on my knees, put my head to the ground and say to myself "I just cannot hold this suffering any longer, I need it to ease". The easing came a few days later. I think it's important to investigate the suffering on some deep level but sometimes we need a break. I have a lot of activity going on in the forehead. It often seems like something is trying to push itself out. I've never used this area as a meditation object but I may just swing my attention over there and see what happens. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 10/24/19 6:24 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/24/19 6:24 AM

I have also had experiences of pressure to that point, and then there have been instances where something was actually pushing itself out through the third eye and then showered down all the way around my body. It felt like it formed an even force field. I don’t think that it was a strong emotion forcing itself out that way, though. It was more like a spreading and balancing of energy

As a response to the initial question, there seem to be practices where people connect to a stillness within by way of focusing on the third eye or maybe on the crown chakra while directing one’s gaze towards the third eye. At least some of them are also related to practices with the elements and the placing of the space element within the chakras. I’m not familiar with that kind of practice, just starting to get curious because of some subjective experiences. If there is anger in one's consciousness and one makes the consciousness keep expanding, then the anger is diluted until it is no longer noticeable. Jim, when you focus on the third eye, what does it mean to you? Do you find that it is spacious there?
George S, modified 4 Years ago at 10/24/19 9:04 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/24/19 9:03 AM

I sort of had the opposite experience but in the same area. I had strong tension headaches in my forehead for 20+ years and meditation initially made them worse with the increase of awareness. Sometimes it felt like my head was going to split open. But eventually my other chakras woke up (heart and abdomen areas) and this seemed to reduce the pressure in the head and allow energy to flow more freely. My understanding is that kundalini is divine energy or consciousness manifesting in the body and as you get more awakaned it should balance out and become more free flowing, connecting with the universe as personal body awareness/differentiation reduces. But before that there may be painful blockages corresponding to psycholgical issues (trapped or unfelt emotions). If it already feels blissful or pleasant in certain areas like your forehead then that's probably because you don't have issues there. It seemed to me that my blocked forehead was about strong ego identity and limited personal vision, as the reduction in these isses has corresponded with unblocking and more pleasant feelings there. The only area I felt pleasant kundalini sensations iniitally was the solar plexus. There is a ton of stuff on chakra meanings and I find you can read almost anything into it, but from personal experience there definitely seems to be some corresondence between areas of blockage or bliss and various emotional or psychological factors, and these can change over time with self development.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 10/25/19 9:26 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/25/19 9:26 AM

Here's a practice that uses that focus for that very purpose: https://youtu.be/1J0xFTsxch4
thumbnail
Corey Palmer, modified 4 Years ago at 12/11/19 8:56 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 12/11/19 8:56 AM

Relaxing my brow helps release tension and energy quite a bit in my recent (last 7 or 8 months) experience. 

I have a story going around Third Eye: my father's frequent furrowed brow is a family Cartesian legacy of thinking hard, bypassing authentic emotional awareness, and has led to his sinus issues. This has then been passed down to me, and sometimes manifests as a violence where I lash out at others to solidify my boundaries and feel a scrunching, a tightness in the Third Eye area. Being too assertive, aggressive, too masculine if you will.

In the moment, releasing tension or massaging it has been helpful. Periodically, as part of a Reiki meditation, I breathe purple energy into the spot, relaxing it, setting an intention to know intuition, the unity of Left and Right brain, and in hopes that I can overturn this overly left-brained way of being into a more integrated experience. Insofar as it reinforces basic self-awareness, I think meditation would assist here too.

Breadcrumb