Are these glimpses of concentration

Matthew Jon Rousseau, modified 4 Years ago at 10/31/19 5:31 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/31/19 5:31 AM

Are these glimpses of concentration

I sit and practice concentration  of breath for an hour  a day. Lately  between  15 and 40 minutes of the sitting something odd is happening .my mind seems to be going towards the breath on it's own as if being pulled from somewhere else.if If I dont get excited about it it stayes for a little while but often it stops when I notice . It. Imight re appear  again in the same sitting. There is also a general feeling of wellbeing while these instances occur . It's a freaking  catch 22 . When I enjoy it it stops. I I try to extend it it stops...  should I just  keep doing my hour sitting and just watch if it happens and think nothing of it. Is it a good sign. at least the feeling of wellbeing are making the sittings worth wild. It certainly is not jhana or any  transcendental srate.. could it be a good sign?. A bad sighn?. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 10/31/19 5:41 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/31/19 5:41 AM

RE: Are these glimpses of concentration

I'm thinking that it's likely that when your mind calms down, your attention goes to the one thing that is still moving: your breath. I have heard Ajahn Brahm say that he always lets the breath come to him rather than chasing it, because when it comes by itself, it is pleasant thanks to already being relaxed. It seems like you have the same experience. That's a good thing. 
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 10/31/19 6:41 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/31/19 6:37 AM

Lately  between  15 and 40 minutes of the sitting something odd is happening .my mind seems to be going towards the breath on it's own as if being pulled from somewhere else.if If I dont get excited about it it stayes for a little while but often it stops when I notice . It. Imight re appear  again in the same sitting. There is also a general feeling of wellbeing while these instances occur . It's a freaking  catch 22 .

This is good but I can see why you'd be frustrated. This is actually a precursor to the jhanas. Similar but not the same thing. This happened to me very early in my practice. My question is this: are you interested in doing concentration practices or investigation practices?

To the extent that you want to focus on concentration the key, as you've discovered, is to be attentive but not overly focused on the breath. It's sort of like riding a bicycle, where you have to get to the point where you can allow muscle memory to keep your balance because consciously focusing on balancing actually causes you to lose your balance. The word "concentration" is misleading. What you want to have is not a laser beam-like focus but broad, loose attention. Let your attention settle on the breath naturally and try to stay in that mode. It gets a lot easier with practice.

Matthew Jon Rousseau, modified 4 Years ago at 10/31/19 7:56 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/31/19 7:56 AM

I'm interested in concentration.  I'd like to achieve the first 4 Juan's eventually. and use it as a tool for the rest of my life to deal with stress.  If the meditations take to insight . I will fallow. But I doubt enlightenment  is possible for me in the hustle and bustle of this western world.. perhaps  it will be a few more lifetimes lol.  Also my meditation are worse if I'm really highly goal oriented.   Catch 22 again. 
thumbnail
Mista Tibbs, modified 4 Years ago at 10/31/19 12:34 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 10/31/19 11:59 AM

RE: Are these glimpses of concentration (Answer)

Matthew Jon Rousseau:
I'm interested in concentration.  I'd like to achieve the first 4 Juan's eventually. and use it as a tool for the rest of my life to deal with stress.  If the meditations take to insight . I will fallow. But I doubt enlightenment  is possible for me in the hustle and bustle of this western world.. perhaps  it will be a few more lifetimes lol.  Also my meditation are worse if I'm really highly goal oriented.   Catch 22 again. 

For the average person, breathing is left on autopilot. It's like this for most of one's life. If you have any children or spent enough time around them you might notice they mostly breathe with their stomachs or diaphragms. We unknowingly support a variety of unconscious habits and the breath is a big factor that remains unchecked by many to this day. The breathing you felt was just the natural flow as it should be executed by our physiology, naturally, you are drawn to it. More oxygen is allowed to move freely through your system which in turn begins the rejuvenating process. This is a great sign

You do need effort to reach these events, but at some point, you have to loosen that effort. Don't follow the mind, this is not happening in the mind. Follow the detail of the experience. Trying to enjoy it or just letting it pass you will only break the concentration

I once threw my back out working on some pipes in our shower. I felt a severe shock from my lower spine that was followed by a wave of excruciating pain. I maintained my yoga and kept active but, mindful of my recovery. I could barely bend forward a few degrees before the harsh remainder set in. This went on for a week with ice treatment and jacuzzi therapy building up my stress proteins. My only true relief came from CBD oil which almost acted as my miracle treatment... but the pain would return eventually. I decided to sit down for yogic meditation, following the flow of the breath. After a while, my body also entered this rhythmic flow. I unclenched my entire being so to peak and let the vibration move my body. During this session, the body wanted to twist and contort itself, I simply allowed it to. I kept a conscious focus on the spine, trying to radar the pain. And during this private game of twister, I felt individual spinal columns realigning, each time, allowing new oxygen to pass through to the next as if I unconsciously blocked off these channels when I had my accident. I was cured, but really, i think i was always fine all along... i just didn't realize it 

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right either way"
- Henry Ford
 emoticon

The 21st century really is our biggest obstacle, I'm with you on that. It has even twisted people's views on enlightenment, sadly! People expect something severe but really its nothing remarkable. To be enlightened is not to be infallible, and it's not ineffable. On the contrary, It's the axis of humanity. The understanding that comes from a heartfelt practice leaves you less of a "human" and more of just "a life". Anyone can reach this, but as long as you say you can't... you'll be right

My advice if you want to further your practise is to tutor yourself through a few biology courses! Human anatomy in particular to more acutely follow the breath during your sits

Breadcrumb