Spilt second perception of pixels of colour on the back of the eyelids

thumbnail
Rich -, modified 13 Years ago at 3/24/11 5:09 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/24/11 5:09 PM

Spilt second perception of pixels of colour on the back of the eyelids

Not really too concerned or that curious about this, I just wanted to know if it's anything specific or just something random which happened.

I was practicing Shamatha and although reaching a fairly good state of stready concentration I didn't have any Jhana like experiences (infact I haven't had anything like that for a little while now).

What I did have is at one point I suddendly became aware that I could see an array of multiple colours on the back of my eye-lids. I'm sure there is actually an array of colours there, but I'd never seen them quite like this before. It was literally like staring closely at a PC monitor - close enough to really see the colours. As soon as I noticed it, it stopped happening and I continuned my practice.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 13 Years ago at 3/24/11 5:43 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/24/11 5:43 PM

RE: Spilt second perception of pixels of colour on the back of the eyelids

Hiya Rich,

Sounds like standard stuff when focused on the inside of the eyelids, of if you're maybe putting a little too much effort in. After 1st jhana it's less like concentrating as the effort slips away and you're just staying with your object in quite a relaxed, but still focused way.

If it happens again, return the attention gently to your object e.g. the breath, remember that you're focusing attention on one thing and not picking out specifics a'la vipassana. It's noticing it that causes it to stop, that's seeing the 3C's; it seems like a solid object, in this case coloured "pixels", but as soon as you pay attention to it, and because you've already established access concentration, you're seeing it arise and pass.

Hope that's of some use to you!

- Tommy

(Edited for spelling.)

Breadcrumb