narco

Rachel, modified 4 Years ago at 2/2/20 6:31 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 1:39 AM

narco

thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 2:18 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 2:18 AM

RE: Narcolepsy, mental health, and spirituality.

I believe the ultimate dividing line is really how one deals with it. 

I'm too sleepdeprived right now to develop that any further, but I guess that kind of illustrates it, because it's an insights stage that deprives me of sleep temporarily and gives me a vivid imagination and euforia and then psychodelic visual effects. So yeah, it's a very fuzzy line. 

I think basically anything is a source for insight if one is curious enough to investigate it. Altered states of consciousness can definitely be used for it. 
thumbnail
Mista Tibbs, modified 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 3:12 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 3:12 PM

Howdy Rachel, 

I deal with a lot of the same. 

The correlation of mental health to spirituality is the same as what it means to be "a human" vs "just a life".
Spirituality and mysticism have become interchangeable and this is causing a lot of confusion...
Things like astral projection, lucid dreaming, and warging, are mystical. Some people abuse sleep paralysis as a means of forcing a certain meditative state. It catapults one into "the arising & passing". Most of these folk don't have an understanding of what is actually happening, unfortunately, but this state, coupled with an imaginative mind, it's possible to "branch out" of meditation and enter esoteric territory.
None of that is spiritual. Spirituality is the effort to untangle oneself from the oppressive mind that comes from living in a society. Deeper than that, liberation from the suffering that is imprinted within our being. It's a de-nurturing process.
Yes, it is possible to become a subjugate of the mind and be stuck in one's own psychological universe. Below the mind.
Sounds like you have been balancing the experiences out with wisdom. That's actually a sanctioned practice for some cultures, good job. 

Once you do start meditating though, in your case, the mind might push back harder. The longer one remains in any stage of perception, the more difficult & destabilizing the transition out becomes. 
Meditation forces cognitive reflux which is associated with radical dissonance, are you prepared for that? For someone in our boat, so to speak, we tend to be more sensitive to these things. It is important to develop a few anchors if you want to investigate meditation.

This is a good read. theory on Adult development, cognition and morals. This is grounding
https://medium.com/@NataliMorad/how-to-be-an-adult-kegans-theory-of-adult-development-d63f4311b553
thumbnail
Mista Tibbs, modified 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 3:22 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 3:22 PM

Have you ever considered Medical cannabis? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D03Y_4hIxrA
I
t promotes homeostasis, but you have to find what works with you, meaning actually experiencing it not just research. Strains can work differently for people.

Also because your sleep is so disturbed, I suggest you practice breathing exercises in bed, even if you can't sleep, to compensate for the lack of air reaching your brain. There's a lot of meditative forms that use the breath as an object of focus, this could be a great place to start.