Silly jhana question

Matthew Jon Rousseau, modified 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 11:59 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 11:58 AM

Silly jhana question

If someone  is proficient in hard jhanas .and can  cycle  through them. Can one go Into first jhana and experience the pitti  and suka so hard  and transfer  the bliss and joy into someone else in the  vicinity. . I think I heard of a yogic skill of bliss transference or something like that
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 12:20 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 12:20 PM

RE: Silly jhana question

I have done it without being in hard jhana, but that was during the A&P so it was probably very light second jhana. I couldn’t do it with any person, but with two people close to me who seemed to be on the same frequency as me or however it works. I just thought the word ”give” and they would shake visibly from joy. They never knew in advance. That was probably very irresponsible of me to do that without asking consent. I had no idea what I was doing (this was several years ago). Thankfully, they didn’t mind (quite the contrary).
Matthew Jon Rousseau, modified 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 1:59 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 1:59 PM

That's a beautiful  thing to do. Unless they where occupied with something important. I cant figure out the whole AP thing.im thinking of doing a short  mindfulness sitting every day on top of my 1 hour concentration  sitting. Dont really know where to start with vipasana
thumbnail
Bardo, modified 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 3:38 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 3:38 PM

Matthew Jon Rousseau:
If someone  is proficient in hard jhanas .and can  cycle  through them. Can one go Into first jhana and experience the pitti  and suka so hard  and transfer  the bliss and joy into someone else in the  vicinity. . I think I heard of a yogic skill of bliss transference or something like that

That's interesting. At the sangha I sometimes attend, during one particular meditation session I sat next to a guy who seemed to have whistling nostrils. Unfortunately, his nostrils were his primary meditation object. I watched my developing frustration like so: form, feeling, perception, intention and consciousness and thus resolved to ferret out that frustration with a diligence one could only attribute to the great Sariputra. I never ferreted out that frustration and instead chose to contemplate the wind element. 
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 3:59 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 3:52 PM

I realize the following is not exactly what you are asking but it is related and folks might be interested....

I practice soft jhanas and I use the skill to try to maintain a "pleasant relaxed state" even when I am not meditating. I wrote about how this affects other people on my blog:

http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2015/02/joy-during-meditation.html#joy_trip
"..when you walk around smiling, people smile back. In that way, it doesn't just change you, it changes the people around you. It doesn't just make you happy, it makes the world friendly."

Apparently this is verified by scientific research:

https://www.webmd.com/balance/news/20081204/happiness-is-contagious#1
Happiness Is Contagious
New research from Harvard Medical School and the University of California, San Diego suggests that happiness is influenced not only by the people you know, but by the people they know.

The study showed that happiness spreads through social networks, sort of like a virus, meaning that your happiness could influence the happiness of someone you've never even met.
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 4:09 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 4:08 PM

Also, not exactly what you were asking, but there is a technique for spiritual healing, really a kind of prayer, that you can do for people who are not in the same location as you are, it is called "distant healing". People have reported to me that it improved thir mood when I have done this for them even in cases where they didn't know I was doing it at the time.  

https://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/spiritual_healing
thumbnail
Dustin, modified 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 4:14 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 11/8/19 4:14 PM

RE: Silly jhana question (Answer)

Matthew Jon Rousseau:
I was going through a review phase and could call up a&p at Will in seconds and I was standing next to a friend and called it up and he said he felt the bliss in transference. 

Breadcrumb